Girls' cricket?

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Re: Girls' cricket?

Post by ailurophile »

HowardH wrote:
Some of you might like to know that a young 2nd Form girl, Inys Barnard-Masterson, made 20 not out yesterday, batting at no 6 in the Under 12A (boys) side to help her team defeat Cottesmore Prep School by 2 wickets in a thrilling match. It was an innings of great application and skill. She also has potential as a bowler
Sadly at the moment there is not a cricket activity for girls as there is a great shortage of staff who can take cricket. This has been the case for the last five years, which is a source of great regret to me as a number of our girls have expressed an interest. We are trying to find a willing and able soul as we are now the only co-ed independent senior school in Sussex that does not offer this activity for girls.
Well done Inys! It's interesting to hear that she was playing for the U12 boys... this makes me wonder whether the school could address the problem of staff shortage by offering more opportunities for mixed sex sports actives? I suspect that for every girl who has expressed an interest in cricket, there might well be a boy who is bored to tears by it and, given a choice, would much rather be out on the tennis courts.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

I suspect that for every girl who has expressed an interest in cricket, there might well be a boy who is bored to tears by it and, given a choice, would much rather be out on the tennis courts.
Hear, hear!
I, for one, know of a young man who would gladly swap his place on cricket for doing something else......actually not tennis but if it has to be an activity he'd go for swimming.

Either way, he would gladly lay down his cricket place for a girl - and not out of chivalry!
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

Isn't it strange how many things are misunderstood.
I suppose in Utopia we would all be doing only things that we liked all day long!
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

YadaYada wrote:
I suspect that for every girl who has expressed an interest in cricket, there might well be a boy who is bored to tears by it and, given a choice, would much rather be out on the tennis courts.
Hear, hear!
I, for one, know of a young man who would gladly swap his place on cricket for doing something else......actually not tennis but if it has to be an activity he'd go for swimming.

Either way, he would gladly lay down his cricket place for a girl - and not out of chivalry!
Perhaps they could arrange a swap next Summer?? Sounds like a plan of sorts.....
Pibble
3rd Former

Post by Pibble »

My DD started school with Inys and is in the same house, I know the girls are very proud of Inys and her cricketing achievements. Has the school considered asking if any local parents could help out with activities like cricket etc? Perhaps even a local cricket team like Southwater.

I know that not everyone is local or able to help. Personally I'd be pleased to be a parent helper in some way, if fact I recently asked if parents ever helped with activities such as the CCF. I was in the Territorial Army for quite sometime and as my DD had expressed an interest in joining the CCF when old enough I thought it would be great way to get involved, with DD's permission of course! :D Anyway, I never had any feedback from what was a very tentative enquiry.

Just a thought but it does seem to be a squandered opportunity.

P
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

OBs have volunteered to run Scouts ... to no avail.. so I doubt the school would agree to getting parents involved with sports and CCF .....
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Pibble
3rd Former

Post by Pibble »

I'm not surprised and it's certainly in line with what I'd heard from others although I must admit to previously doubting that a school would be quite so dismissive of the parents and I can't pretend it doesn't urk/ hurt a little.

It sometimes seems we're good enough to contribute/ pay the fee's but not really good enough to play a part in the continuing development of our own children. Parent governors etc spring to mind. But there we go.

Rant over, good look with the girls cricket anyway.