St Matthews Day Parade

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: St Matthews Day Parade

Post by J.R. »

jhopgood wrote:
Vièr Bliu wrote:Thanks.

And to compare, here's the 1930 parade from Pathé: http://www.britishpathe.com/video/blue- ... city-again
Not greatly different from the photos I had of Paddie Drake leading the parade after the war.
Except, where was the band in the movie?

And did we have drummers half way down the parade in the '60's?

Certainly not under Mr Bailey. Royal Marine through and through.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I and a friend have bid for tickets (as Governors - for the Service in St. Paul's) but we now learn that we will not know until next Friday, a week in advance, if we have been successful. Fingers crossed! I am afraid I have no idea about the route of the whole school procession to St. Paul's, other than that it might start at St Sepulchres in Holborn. But don't take my word for it
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Parents of Deps/ Grecians were also invited to apply for tickets to the St. Paul's service on a 'first come first served' basis. I sent off my SAE way back in July but still haven't heard anything; my fingers are firmly crossed too, as DH and I have booked the day off work! I guess if we don't get tickets we'll just watch the parade and enjoy a nice day out in London, but I'm really hoping to be lucky...
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

I rang up the school and was told 11.45 outside St Pauls to see them come out and march off, if that is any help.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I guess the school will be marching in, as well - but the pupils' point of disembarkation in London must be a closely guarded secret? I now know that the doors of St. Paul's open at 10 and that the congregation has to be seated by 10.30. The service starts at 11.00. I understand that people should receive their tickets (or otherwise...) tomorrow. Good luck to all those who applied, and I hope for a good vantage point for all those who would like to watch the marching. I now know that I am one of the lucky ones to get a ticket for the service. Can't wait.
Kerren Simmonds
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

I guess if the congregation has to be seated by 10.30 and the service starts at 11, then the marching school party will arrive somewhere in the middle of those times to take up their places. We have decided to try to be outside a bit earlier than we thought at first so we can watch them arrive too.
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

I happened on a guided tour of the Mansion House the other day - In the Egyptian Hall it all came back - shake with the right, take with the left, bow to the Lady Mayoress ... and then full speed for the sticky buns.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by cupcakemom »

fbannabel - I've PM'd you.
Never underestimate the power of a Mummy!
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Hurrah, our tickets for the service arrived this morning. :D

But... to make it to St. Paul's before 10.30 we will need to travel up before the 'off peak' rail fares apply, and I've been horrfied to discover today that a day return for DH and I is going to set us back well over £100 !! That's come as a bit of a shock; we're only in Sussex, and even the charming lady at the station enquiry desk apologised for the outrageous cost!
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

ailurophile wrote:Hurrah, our tickets for the service arrived this morning. :D

But... to make it to St. Paul's before 10.30 we will need to travel up before the 'off peak' rail fares apply, and I've been horrfied to discover today that a day return for DH and I is going to set us back well over £100 !! That's come as a bit of a shock; we're only in Sussex, and even the charming lady at the station enquiry desk apologised for the outrageous cost!
Depending where you are, but a single on the Gatwick Victoria bus is about ₤10 and the journey is about 90 minutes.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

You do what you have to do, if you really want to be there. I am disabled, and am being driven up, in my own car, by a professional driver working for a kosher company. I (and my friend) am being collected from a West Sussex address (so we can be sure to be there by 10.00) at 7.30 a.m.! Much too early for me.......and I have to get there first. I am half a hour's drive away......
I note from the school's calendar that the choir leaves at 6.15 a.m., and the rest of the school at 7.00 a.m. Glad I am not one of them!
Kerren Simmonds
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

jhhopgood and kerren, thanks to you both. Kerren you're right, we really do want to be there and so I guess we will have to bite the bullet and pay whatever it costs... I only wish I had a bit more time to investigate the alternatives! Sadly JH we are nowhere near Gatwick, so getting there in time to catch the cheap bus service would also be an expensive option.

I'm currently looking into possibility of driving up on Thursday after work and staying overnight with relatives in the London suburbs, from where we should be able to travel much more cheaply into the city on Friday morning after the off peak rates kick in

I certainly don't envy the choir their 6.15 start! Good luck with your own arrangements Kerren, I hope that all goes well and that you and your friend will really enjoy the service!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Good luck with your travel arrangements, Jo. I am sorry to see the amount you might have to pay for railtravel from Sussex, which is also where I am coming from. In my case I anticipate that the fuel will cost about £25, and the driver to take me and my friend there, in my car, about £140. So door to door, personal service, for two of us, it will cost about £80 per head. Which is not bad for door to door and home again. I think I am the only person attending he service who has mobility difficulties (for which arrangements have kindly been made) so if you see a very embarrassed looking person on an electric mobility scooter, you will know that it is me...................ooh dear,
Kerren Simmonds
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

My son is in the choir and he has been told that there is early breakfast at 5.45 for the choir before departure at 6.15. ! I have a feeling they may all go straight to St Paul's by coach and only march at the end when they leave, but I may be wrong. Has anyone else found out more info?
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

CHDad wrote:My son is in the choir and he has been told that there is early breakfast at 5.45 for the choir before departure at 6.15. ! I have a feeling they may all go straight to St Paul's by coach and only march at the end when they leave, but I may be wrong. Has anyone else found out more info?
I think the choir go straight to St Paul's but the rest of the school are marching there, due to arrive between 9.45 and 10am. I'm not looking forward to the early start!