2013 Admissions Thread

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

studiorex
2nd Former

2013 Admissions Thread

Post by studiorex »

Possibly a little premature but then I've always been described as 'unnaturally optimistic'.

My two boys sat the initial assessment back in October and were invited back this week - as their maths results were borderline. By all accounts they managed to impress yesterday and so I am more than hopeful that they will be invited to the residential assessment in January.

Whatever happens in January I know they will have a brilliant time. I'm not going to overwork them beforehand but want them to be prepared for what might come up.

If any recent parents are willing to provide insights and guidance for what is to come I would be one happy bunny.

Good luck to any prospective parents who have found this forum. The humour and level of support are welcome in equal measure!
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Re: 2013 Admissions Thread

Post by pinkhebe »

Good luck to your 2!!

We didn't do any prep for the Jan residential, apart from going through the maths exam paper on the website, although I think we did that before the Oct exam.

Be aware that they are assessed all the time they are there, even the boys who are helping are asked their opinion.
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

Yes I agree with Pinkhebe I dont think we did much coaching for the residential exam. I may be completely wrong but it seemed to be that the residential is much more of a test to see whether your child fits in and would get along ok in a boarding school. I think my advice is that your boys should just go along and "be themselves" and enjoy it, that is what my son did, he had a great weekend and now loves being a pupil at CH!
MW224
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by MW224 »

Agree with the above replies. 'Not easy, but try to be yourself and enjoy the experience' was my advice to my DS at the time.If your children play an instrument, I think they do that during the residential and they will have an interview with one of the teachers as well.And they play football / rugby if I remember rightly. You will get further information send to you that will give you more of an idea. Best of luck!
juicymum

Post by juicymum »

Welcome to the forum Studiorex, totally agree. Just be yourself and enjoy. My DS is in LE( how time flies) and he said the best part of the assessments was the residential. He made some good friends then, and they are still going strong. My DD also sat the October tests and has been invited for the residential ( Dont know why I put myself through this again), she is very excited and cant wait. Good luck to your two. As for pactising, we have just been going ove the past questions on the website and I get her to write a story each day.
Good luck to your 2 :)
artmum
2nd Former

Post by artmum »

Hello everybody,
I have been lurking for a little while and didn't have the courage to start this thread, so thank you studiorex! My dd is also through to the January assessment and I got the dreaded financial forms off today - as well as the applicants' questionnaire, on which I let her loose unsupervised and the less said about the better - apparently I am vague and the cat is evil (both of which, when I thought about it, are actually true).

But anyway, this forum was a great source of information (and comfort) to me during the agonising wait for the results of the October test. I'm trying (and failing) not to be too neurotic about it all. It would be good to have some other nervous parents to share the journey with, as well as people who understand what an incredible and life-changing opportunity this would be for their child. I'm getting a bit tired of being judged for wanting to 'send my child away' like I'm doing it because I'm elitist, don't like her, can't cope or am too lazy to take care of her myself. :roll:

As for the January assessment, I don't think there's too much that can be done as regards the academic stuff at this stage. If she's bright enough to get in, she will and if it's not right for her she won't… the main thing I'm focussing on with her right now is manners and looking adults in the eye when they're talking to her, *sigh*.
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

Hello and welcome artmum :D I have PM'd you
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Welcome, Amanada.

I hope you find this site informative, and sometimes amusing !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
MW224
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by MW224 »

I'm getting a bit tired of being judged for wanting to 'send my child away' like I'm doing it because I'm elitist, don't like her, can't cope or am too lazy to take care of her myself.
'I don't know how you can do it' is what I was told so many times with regards to DS going to a boarding school. Making me feel like an uncaring, cold parent. And every time I would answer that I wasn't 'sending' him, he really wants to go. Even now, I get the occasional 'oh it's all right for you, no homework to deal with' and 'you have it easy'.
My DS is in his second year and loving CH. Thriving I would say, so totally the right decision for him. Which I am more than happy to tell those who made the 'sending away' remarks! (possibly with the slightest bit of smirk on my face :oops: )
Best of luck to your DD.
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by cupcakemom »

Now my little DS has passed the initial assessments all I get is "Oh, how on earth are you going to cope if BOTH you girls are at boarding school?" followed by patronising head tilt .... I have absolutely no idea and will cross that bridge when i come to it!
Never underestimate the power of a Mummy!
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by cupcakemom »

DD not DS .... that's stress for you!!
Never underestimate the power of a Mummy!
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

I am afraid that unless people visit CH they have no comprehension whatsoever of why we want our children to go there. My son also said after an open day visit "I want to go to that school" so the decision to let him sit the exams was driven by him! I also felt terribly guilty at first that I was "sending my son away" however I dont feel like that now, he is happy, enjoying school and his time at home is quality time as well. Never forget that they are actually at home for quite a lot of the year. Try and ignore the detractors, CH is a great school and a wonderful opportunity for our chidren. Mind you boarding at CH is not for every child which is why I involved my son in the decision to go there (once he was offered a place). We had a deal that if I hated it (him being away) or he hated it he could leave, however I said that he had to try it for a year to be certain, we are now 2 years on and he has never looked back.
studiorex
2nd Former

Post by studiorex »

We heard back from CH following the boys borderline test. Fortunately we were able to tell each of them individually.

"We heard back from CH today," said in a serious tone, "your brother has been invited back."

"Oh!"

"And so have you!"

It was plain to see from their reactions whether they want to go or not.

We've always felt it important to find the right school, not necessarily the best one, for our children. You don't need research to tell you that happy children achieve more than unhappy ones.

I've only had one friend comment that they couldn't send their child to boarding school, but they know that we would only be doing so because we love our boys and they understand how hard it will be. Comments from non friends or family don't count.

Thank you all for the helpful insights and good luck to any lurk ears out ther, known or otherwise.
artmum
2nd Former

Post by artmum »

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your kind comments and PMs, what a lovely welcome! And best of luck to all of you with children attending the January assessment. Is there anyone out there from anywhere near Bournemouth?
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

As you are learning already, CH is not just a school.It is a way of life and a community spanning many generations. Once it has a grip on you it doesn't let go!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'