2013 Admissions Thread

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

juicymum

Re: 2013 Admissions Thread

Post by juicymum »

Hello Studio and ArtMum, I am really sorry, as I have been waiting and hoping that one of you would get in. It is so hard ,especially as I have one child there already. Not saying why also makes it difficult to explain. Maybe its to do with the money/funding? Nearly time to pick my DD ,I hope that she will take it better than I have. I wish you both and the children all the best. All I can say is we should be very proud of our children, if they got to this stage ,we should believe that they will do well anywhere. Artmum ,I am also a single parent with medical conditions........
rigsbyrat
2nd Former

Post by rigsbyrat »

Hi there,
just found out my boy didn't get in either and his sister is there in third form. I think it means more to him to get in precisely because she is there, proving he can do it too. She's always been "first" and "best" in his belief. I wanted an acceptance letter more to boost his confidence and I wouldn't have minded if he'd then turned it down in favour of the local state. At least I've still got one child at home with me. However happy and flourishing my daughter is, it's still really hard and it has changed family life massively. It's akin to fostering your child out! You really do have to work hard at the distance it can create. I just have to trust that they've made the right decision by my son, he's a bright boy, but perhaps boarding wouldn't benefit him. I don't know if it was right to put him through the pressure of the whole process, I just know that I had to offer both my children the same chance at the opportunity and then wait for fate and the postman to bring us the outcome. Good luck to them all wherever they're headed.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

I've noticed that there is no longer any mention of siblings on the school website, I'm sure that previously something along the lines of, we look sympathetically on siblings of current pupils as long as they pass the academic tests and are suitable for boarding. (paraphrased badly!)

It does seem strange that the older pupils were deemed to benefit from a CH education, but the younger ones aren't.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

pinkhebe wrote:I've noticed that there is no longer any mention of siblings on the school website, I'm sure that previously something along the lines of, we look sympathetically on siblings of current pupils as long as they pass the academic tests and are suitable for boarding. (paraphrased badly!)

It does seem strange that the older pupils were deemed to benefit from a CH education, but the younger ones aren't.

That thought had also crossed my mind.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

This is just one reason why the school should be providing parents and children a reason for their non-acceptance.
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

2013 Admissions Thread

Post by cupcakemom »

I heard today too - my dd was successful. Her big sister is in 3rd form. Clearly - I'm chuffed to bits but sad too - for those of you who didn't get good news and also I will have an "empty nest" come September.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I did wonder when I first saw the original posting from the family with two boys applying (presumably twins?), what would happen if one was accepted and the other not. It crossed my mind at the time that the kindest thing if one was deemed unsuitable would be to turn down both of them. Now I am left wondering whether that is what has happened - I guess nobody will ever know, and it is probably better that way!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

Congratualtions cupcakemom, empty nest takes some getting used to! :shock:
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

2013 Admissions Thread

Post by cupcakemom »

Thanks Fairy. Feel elated and gutted at the same time. Maybe I'll take up cross-stitch!
juicymum

Post by juicymum »

Congratulations Cupcakemum, You should be happy, I am smiling now that someone got in . Yeah! It has been a very difficult and sad day for me,telling my daughter she did not get in, there have been tears and she does not understand why they took her brother and not her,considering she is by far ''more smart'' than him. There are lots of questions which I know will never be answered. Hopefully she will get over it soon...and yes what happened to that statement...being sympathetic to sibling applications???????
Hmm Well done to all who got in.
dramaqueen
2nd Former

Post by dramaqueen »

Still waiting for postman!
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

juicymum wrote:considering she is by far ''more smart'' than him.
maybe it was a very academic cohort this year? Or even the fact that there were more clever girls than boys in your Ds's year (not suggesting this is the case in the slightest, but it could answer some of your daughters questions!!)

My second son is not in the same league academically as his brother, although still heading for level 5's (certainly in maths anyway). I doubt very much whether he'll get in, so it won't be a shock. It is hard when you see the opportunities the children get at CH, knowing that your other children will have to go to the satisfactory rated local comp. My younger son is a very different kettle of fish to his brother, and I'm pretty sure he'll do well wherever he goes (unlike his older brother!)
juicymum

Post by juicymum »

Oh Pink, I wish I could find some answers for her. She is so shattered. I wish I could take the pain away, she did not want to go to school today,but I managed to get her to go.I have broken news to DS in CH who is equally shattered. I dont know how I feel now as secretly I am glad I can spend time with my DD or else I will be on my own. Older DS has moved out only this week. Every misfortune ....a blessing???? :D
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

juicymum wrote:Oh Pink, I wish I could find some answers for her. She is so shattered. I wish I could take the pain away, she did not want to go to school today,but I managed to get her to go.I have broken news to DS in CH who is equally shattered. I dont know how I feel now as secretly I am glad I can spend time with my DD or else I will be on my own. Older DS has moved out only this week. Every misfortune ....a blessing???? :D

I can see possible repercussions in the future, especially if your girls are close.

A 'What-If' scenario.

Eldest daughter rebels and says, 'Well, if sister can't go, I'm not going to continue there as well '
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Annatinks
2nd Former

Post by Annatinks »

Hi all.

So we got our letter and my daughter did not get a place. She is very sad but I had kept it very real that she may not throughout this process so I think she is adjusting ok.
I wanted to ask about the letter though. Our letter says "Whilst ***** performed well in our assessments, the staff did not feel that ***** was ready to be offered a boarding place at 11+. However, we would be prepared to consider ***** for a place in two years time (at 13+) should you wish to reapply then." and I wonder if this is a generic response or if they are genuine about us reapplying? I ask this because at the moment my DD is getting a lot of hope from the thought that this is a delay rather than a never but I would be reluctant to put her through the heartache again if the suggestion that she would be ready then is to solely provide comfort.
It also talked about King Edward's school but we are not looking into that as an option because of the further distance.
Any clarification from parents who have also received letters will be appreciated!