2013 Admissions Thread

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

anniexf
Button Grecian

Re: 2013 Admissions Thread

Post by anniexf »

From somewhere in the dark recesses of my memory I recall a correspondence with an OB friend in which we were discussing a rather strange comment from one of the bods who were on the Board or whatever it was/is called. It was about the cost for the school of maintaining a child whose parent(s) couldn't pay full fees. I think at that time such children were in the majority. Anyway, the suggestion was that they would have to limit the number of children from single-parent families. I believe there were other justifications offered for this, e.g. that their numbers at CH were becoming disproportionate in relation to the general population. However I recall my distinct impression being that as such children's parents couldn't contribute a bean towards the fees they were becoming too expensive for the school.
This was about 25 years ago. It may not be relevant now. In any case, we would not be told, it's far too sensitive a subject. However, given the amazing lurch towards full fee-payers, day pupils, foreign students etc., I'm suspending my judgement.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

First, my sympathy to all those who haven't been offered places. I hope your children will soon get over their natural disappointment: I'm sure they'll move forward to happy and successful school careers wherever they go.

Annatinks wrote:
Our letter says "Whilst ***** performed well in our assessments, the staff did not feel that ***** was ready to be offered a boarding place at 11+. However, we would be prepared to consider ***** for a place in two years time (at 13+) should you wish to reapply then." and I wonder if this is a generic response or if they are genuine about us reapplying? I ask this because at the moment my DD is getting a lot of hope from the thought that this is a delay rather than a never but I would be reluctant to put her through the heartache again if the suggestion that she would be ready then is to solely provide comfort.
It also talked about King Edward's school but we are not looking into that as an option because of the further distance.
I can't imagine that the school would offer this suggestion 'solely to provide comfort'! But it does strike me as somewhat odd. Until very recently the option to join CH at 13+ didn't exist, and I thought it was introduced to accommodate more full fee-payers entering from prep schools. It's a very different matter for children in the state system, who will move to secondary school at 11 and then have to uproot all over again two years later. I'm also rather curious to know how the numbers work... If entry at 13+ is now being offered widely to competitive bursary applicants, does this indicate that perhaps fewer places are available at 11+? If not, and the usual 112 places have been filled for this September, then surely there won't be very many boarding places available in two years' time, whether the applicants are ready or not! If you want to avoid further heartache, maybe it would be wise to ask for clarification of exactly what your child's chances might be.

And this is certainly the first time that I've heard of CH recommending families to look at King Edward's school as alternative option. What's that all about?
Annatinks
2nd Former

Post by Annatinks »

It said KESW has informed us that they are happy to consider applications for their own entry that we have been unable to accept. The letter then goes on to state that CH will forward my daughter's admission files on to them to speed up the process should we wish to take up this opportunity.

I am inclined to wonder that if ***** was genuinely turned down because staff felt ***** was not ready to board why they would add this option in? Unless it is in case I am a parent intent on my child having to attend a boarding school.
MW224
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by MW224 »

With a letter like that, I am sure school would be very happy to discuss contents with you if you'd contact them. 11 is very young and perhaps they feel your child would be more suited to boarding life at 13? But from my understanding it can be more challenging to pass exams at 13+ ? And if you decide to try for the 13+ entry then you will want feedback from CH on your child's outcomes from last assessments so you both know what to work on (so to speak).
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Annatinks wrote:Hi all.

So we got our letter and my daughter did not get a place. She is very sad but I had kept it very real that she may not throughout this process so I think she is adjusting ok.
I wanted to ask about the letter though. Our letter says "Whilst ***** performed well in our assessments, the staff did not feel that ***** was ready to be offered a boarding place at 11+. However, we would be prepared to consider ***** for a place in two years time (at 13+) should you wish to reapply then." and I wonder if this is a generic response or if they are genuine about us reapplying? I ask this because at the moment my DD is getting a lot of hope from the thought that this is a delay rather than a never but I would be reluctant to put her through the heartache again if the suggestion that she would be ready then is to solely provide comfort.
It also talked about King Edward's school but we are not looking into that as an option because of the further distance.
Any clarification from parents who have also received letters will be appreciated!
I would read this as a considered response to your child's individual circumstances. Forget any thoughts about conspiracy theory or the politics of admissions policy. I'm not a teacher but have had to write numerous staff appraisals and frequently spent time thinking about how best to put a message across. This reads to me like genuine thoughtful feed back about your individual child.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

ailurophile wrote:First, my sympathy to all those who haven't been offered places. I hope your children will soon get over their natural disappointment: I'm sure they'll move forward to happy and successful school careers wherever they go.

Annatinks wrote:
Our letter says "Whilst ***** performed well in our assessments, the staff did not feel that ***** was ready to be offered a boarding place at 11+. However, we would be prepared to consider ***** for a place in two years time (at 13+) should you wish to reapply then." and I wonder if this is a generic response or if they are genuine about us reapplying? I ask this because at the moment my DD is getting a lot of hope from the thought that this is a delay rather than a never but I would be reluctant to put her through the heartache again if the suggestion that she would be ready then is to solely provide comfort.
I can't imagine that the school would offer this suggestion 'solely to provide comfort'! But it does strike me as somewhat odd. Until very recently the option to join CH at 13+ didn't exist, and I thought it was introduced to accommodate more full fee-payers entering from prep schools. It's a very different matter for children in the state system, who will move to secondary school at 11 and then have to uproot all over again two years later. I'm also rather curious to know how the numbers work... If entry at 13+ is now being offered widely to competitive bursary applicants, does this indicate that perhaps fewer places are available at 11+? If not, and the usual 112 places have been filled for this September, then surely there won't be very many boarding places available in two years' time, whether the applicants are ready or not! If you want to avoid further heartache, maybe it would be wise to ask for clarification of exactly what your child's chances might be.

And this is certainly the first time that I've heard of CH recommending families to look at King Edward's school as alternative option. What's that all about?

Our family experienced just that a couple of years ago !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Donald
2nd Former

Post by Donald »

My DS fell at the last hurdle a couple of years ago - even though he had a Donation Governor. Thankfully DS secured a major scholarship at another school, but only funded as a day boy which caused even more hardship as I moved away from friends and family with virtually no job prospects. I went through the process of re-applying but the application was not taken further - from my experience there are few places for late entry for those who need financial support and CH will take those they feel are the very neediest. So my advise would be to re-apply as a matter of course but in the knowledge that success would be unlikely.
eowyn3099
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by eowyn3099 »

pinkhebe wrote:I've noticed that there is no longer any mention of siblings on the school website, I'm sure that previously something along the lines of, we look sympathetically on siblings of current pupils as long as they pass the academic tests and are suitable for boarding. (paraphrased badly!)

It does seem strange that the older pupils were deemed to benefit from a CH education, but the younger ones aren't.

If you go into the PDF fees schedule for 2013/14 it does mention that fees are discretionary for those on bursaries and mentions the set discounts for those on full fees; but you're right they have taken the info off the main website! I assume that's a mistake / oversight!!
eowyn3099
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by eowyn3099 »

"Sibling Policy
Siblings cannot be guaranteed a place at the School but may apply for a place in the same way as all other applicants.
While the School will consider applications for sibling entry sympathetically, there may be occasions where the School judges that a sibling is likely to thrive better in a different academic environment."

Just found the above dated Oct 2012, but you have to google "christs hospital admission policy" to find it! Couldn't see it any other way!!
wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by wickedwitch »

<jumps into the thread>

Hi folks. I remember when my dd was starting i tried to get the sports kit as cheap as possible. With this in mind, i have a tracksuit age 13 - 14 which my daughter wore when she first started. She is in LE now and suddenly into womens size 12 !!!
If anyone is interested please let me know. £20 + postage (got to pay the pocket money somehow!).
All the best
nickythomas@ntlworld.com
wide awake on the edge of the world