Cost cutting

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Cost cutting

Post by ailurophile »

In this morning's post we received a glossy full colour copy of the latest CH News, and as I scanned through it over breakfast I quickly realised that I had already read almost every item online on the school's website. I looked at the envelope - it cost 53p to post. Multiply that by every child in the school and you're looking at £450 in postage alone, before you add on the print and production costs. And this newsletter goes out several times a year...

On another thread onewestguncopse recently pointed out that "90% of The Blue's readership are not current parents", so I'd guess that CH News is also probably mailed out to thousands of recipients. Just a thought, but it seems to me that there is potential for the school to save a substantial amount of money by adding this to the list of documents that are now distributed by e-mail - or maybe by simply reminding the wider CH community to check the News section of the website, which is updated regularly.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Re: Cost cutting

Post by YadaYada »

Totally agree. All of these articles are on the website. And much of the news is covered in the Headmaster's Letters to current parents.
As we approach the dreaded annual reassessment for fees I would appreciate seeing some cost cutting by CH.
Nice to see DS on the front cover though ;)
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Is this Housey? I received it a couple of days ago. Yada Yada is your DS one of the Community Action pupils?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Yada Yada is your DS one of the Community Action pupils?
Yes, he is the one on the far left. Actually the one who wrote to Francis Maude and invited him to visit to discuss what they are doing. :)
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Yet to receive mine, but in order to save costs, Housey is sent out with the Old Blue magazine.
Since there are 6 -7 thousand Old Blues on the mailing lists, getting Housey enables them to keep up with events at CH.
Old Blues also get the Blue, which explains why 90% are not current parents.
The Old Blue is funded by income on funds left by the CH Club when it closed, so in some ways, Old Blues pay for the distribution of Housey.

Although unsubstantiated, it is likely that the magazines are read by more people than those on the mailing lists, and hence help to ¨market¨ CH.

I would agree that much information is on the web site, but until some survey is done to see who is happy not to receive a paper versions, then mailing seems to be the most efficient way for everyone to be informed about CH community activities.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I've received mine, but must confess, I haven't got round to reading it yet.

It's been a busy week with family and illness !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Pleased to see a drop in paperwork coming through the door but all of the forms that need returning have been emailed. I do have email access but I don't have a printer. Does the school expect that ALL families will have email and printing facilities? Seems quite an assumption to make.
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

I agree - can we complete the forms online and email back? I doubt it.......but will be chuffed if we can. Have had the dreaded financial contrib form in the post today though. Bleurrgh.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

I shall email my responses to them.

Am forgetting about the bursary form until the end of the holidays - too stressful.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

I've noticed in the bursery form it asks for the amount you pay for both council tax and water. I'm sure these were taken off last years form :?:
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

Yes, they were - they were going to put in a standard amount, weren't they? Really hope that they have kept up with the rises in gas and electricity costs recently.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

I haven't received my financial assessment form yet, but you're quite right; last year we were told that the actual costs previously allowed for council tax, water rates and buildings insurance would be replaced by a 'standard allowance' for all families. However, we weren't told how much this allowance would be, and when I contacted the school to ask I was told that it applied only to new entrants - so maybe we were all sent the wrong form last year in error?

SAS, I admire your optimism, but from experience I think it very unlikely that CH will recognise the rising cost of living in the assessment... They certainly haven't done so over the last eight years! As I've said on here in the past, ever since our first son joined the school each annual rise in our household income has been outstripped by an even greater increase in the CH contribution level, so that we now have less disposable income to pay for food, fuel, utilities etc than we had left to us in 2005!! I have attempted to discuss this issue with the school, but to no avail. In fact, I have been told that the rate of inflation in the costs of educating a child at CH "has been significantly higher than that for domestic inflation unfortunately". So there you go; I wouldn't expect much sympathy on that front.

I'm so glad that we only have one more year to go!
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

I wonder why they want the water bills but not the gas or electricity? Surely it's all or nothing.
eowyn3099
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by eowyn3099 »

I think they include water bills as they are linked to the old "rateable" value of your house - except for those on meters. Whereas gas & electric use is down to not only the size of your property but dependant on so many other variables, efficiency of heating system, amount of insulation, whether you crank your heating right up or put on a cardi! Likewise your electricity use, do you have energy lightbulbs, how many appliances, do you leave everything on standby, are your white goods AA rated etc, etc! So it wouldn't be fair to use as part of the calculation as the parameters are too wide. Shame but totally understandable.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Pinkhebe wrote:
I've noticed in the bursery form it asks for the amount you pay for both council tax and water. I'm sure these were taken off last years form
Hang on a minute... I've only just received my assessment forms, and notice that while this year we are again required to provide evidence of council tax and water charges, no mention is now made of buildings insurance, an essential that was previously allowed. For us that's the best part of £200 that if not deducted will presumably now count as additional 'income' - and bump up our contribution by a corresponding amount!! Grrr...