2014 Admissions

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

eowyn3099
LE (Little Erasmus)

Re: 2014 Admissions

Post by eowyn3099 »

Racksus666 wrote:Sadly, my DD was not successful, I have made an appeal and it's been over a week and we've had no reply or acknowledgement of mt email.
Their appeal process states that you should hear back within two weeks. As to KES, think you have to decide whether to appeal or have your applications forwarded, as I understand it you can't do both.
Last edited by eowyn3099 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

As to KES p, think you have to decide whether to appeal or have your applications forwarded, as I understand it you can't do both.
Do CH now actually suggest King Edward's School as an alternative option to all unsuccessful candidates? I don't know much about KES, but I'm curious as to why they'd be happy to act as a 'back-up' - surely they'll have already filled their own places for September 2014 by this stage, like most independent schools. And what about bursaries - can they offer the same level of means-tested support as CH? And for families like Eowyn's and Pinkhebe's, would KES prepared to give a sibling discount where an older sibling is at CH? Without this help, I'd guess that KES wouldn't be a realistic option for many CH applicants.

Does anyone know of any family who have successfully pursued the KES option at this stage?
eowyn3099
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by eowyn3099 »

I think KES has pretty low numbers, hence taking on unsuccessful CH candidates. We looked round it for my ds 4 years ago, it's not a patch on CH. Bursaries are nowhere near as generous, I think the max is 50% from memory and I'm not aware of there being any reciprocal arrangement between CH & KES regarding school fees paid at the other school for siblings.

There's a large number of overseas students, not a problem in itself, but it has to be proportionate in my opinion, otherwise it can create its own issues. Results aren't what you'd expect of a good independent school either, or they certainly weren't the last time I looked, which was a while ago. I felt it had a cold atmosphere about it, but that's just my opinion, as I said its a while since I went so it may have changed.
oldmathomas
2nd Former

Post by oldmathomas »

Hello CH parents. New to posting but often dip in. DD has year 9 place to start in September which is all a bit scary :rolleyes:
Anyone know how many others there are joining at year 9 this year? Any of you on this forum?
Also is the first day - getting uniform, photos etc - made as special as it is for pupils starting at year 7?
Anyone had experience of their child starting at this stage and did it all go smoothly as bit worried about her joining when others have already established their friendship groups.

What are the girls boarding houses like - are they all friendly and welcoming? Sorry lots of questions.
Am really pleased and excited for her but a bit nervous too.
eowyn3099
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by eowyn3099 »

Hi & welcome Old Mathomas. Can't speak from experience on year nine entry, but can give a bit of insight hopefully! Uniforms - normally a bit chaotic, even if you are very accurate with your measurements most kids seem to end up in the wardrobe department. In my sons house (he joined yr 7) they had 3 new boys start in year 9 (LE his current year). They all integrated really quickly, each boy had a guide from their year showing them round for the first wk, taking them to the right lessons etc. I think at this point in 2nd term in, they are treated pretty much as if they've always been there. Photos are usually taken a few weeks into term, certainly they were for year 7, so imagine year 9 are done at the same time. Good luck to your daughter, she'll love it!
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

My son had 7 join in yr 9! So they outnumbered the original ones. No issues at all with settling in afaik. It did them the world of good to have new blood imo.
oldmathomas
2nd Former

Post by oldmathomas »

Thank you for your replies. Hope they do make the first day as special for yr 9 entrants as they do yr 7 . Special day for parents too and marks the end of the long journey of application and all the anxiety that provokes - its a real roller coaster ride. To see them standing there in their "housey" that first day is a very special moment - as is the first time you see them march into lunch - YES have done this before as older sibling been through it but started in yr 7.

Anyone know how many got places for yr 9 this yr? I'm sure there must be more of us out there - all bursting with pride and nervous anticipation.

By the way for those that didn't get a place, yes its upsetting but don't worry -there are plenty of people out there in the same boat who have gone on to lead VERY successful lives and your child will too. Be proud of your children for putting themselves through the whole application/entry exam process - its a very brave thing to do at ANY age.