2014 Admissions

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Re: 2014 Admissions

Post by pinkhebe »

I'm very surprised, but pleased for my ds2. It's hard having an older brother who is very clever. However I'm missing my ds1 so much, I was kind of hoping for a rejection!
eowyn3099
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by eowyn3099 »

We said to both of ours that getting through the first round was a massive achievement, whatever happens from here on in they will know they made it to the final 350! Mind you I'm also wondering what I will do if dd follows her brother, empty nest syndrome or what! :?
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

350? I thought it was 250 that make it through to the residential?
Surreymum73
2nd Former

Post by Surreymum73 »

We didn't make it , am gutted am wondering if its anything to so with bursary or he totally messed it up , his working at level 6 maths am wondering if it is worth appealing ? help am devastated don't know how to tell him as was certain he'd get thru the first phase maybe he was too confident ?
Silverlise
2nd Former

Post by Silverlise »

We haven't received our letter today and we live in Horsham ie right on the CH doorstep so assume Royal Mail on the go slow. VERY frustrating but we've waited this long, one more day won't kill us I guess :?

I'd also be very interested for confirmation on how many are going through to the next stage and where that information is coming from. I don't recall seeing it written down anywhere myself.

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear.
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

With apologies to all those still waiting ...
100 boys and 100 girls have been invited back for the yr 7 residential phase in January.
As always it is very sad to have to say no to so many children, but I have to emphasise that the process is very, very thorough.
eowyn3099
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by eowyn3099 »

pinkhebe wrote:350? I thought it was 250 that make it through to the residential?

Sorry typo! :oops:

Mind you when ds did the residential in 2010 they had over 250 kids invited, now it's only 200? That's a massive drop in bursary places!
Last edited by eowyn3099 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eowyn3099
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by eowyn3099 »

Surreymum73 wrote:We didn't make it , am gutted am wondering if its anything to so with bursary or he totally messed it up , his working at level 6 maths am wondering if it is worth appealing ? help am devastated don't know how to tell him as was certain he'd get thru the first phase maybe he was too confident ?

So sorry to hear this Surreymum, I've been trying to gear myself up for the worst, but frankly it's a very difficult thing to do, I can only imagine how you must be feeling. :( Maybe worth going back to ch, I understand if you ask in writing what let them down, they will tell you. Not sure who you have to ask, it's on one of the threads, possibly the 2013 admissions one?
Surreymum73
2nd Former

Post by Surreymum73 »

am wondering if its because we would have needed a large bursary ie 70% minimum maybe they are putting a cap on large awards ?. will send an email don't expect to get much out of it would be helpful if they indicated something anything ie done great in the test but unable to award bursary that big or done crap in the test etc. its just not knowing I think drives me insane plus also having to let DS down maybe its for the best rather than getting all the way thru and not being able to afford it doesn't make it any easier anyone else not make it :((((
eowyn3099
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by eowyn3099 »

As I understand it bursary level doesn't come into it at this stage, the bursary juggling starts after the residentials. When our ds went through the initials in Nov 2009, my dh had been made redundant so at the time we would have been eligible for a 100% bursary. The system has changed somewhat since then, but one would hope that wouldn't make a difference at this stage in the process. I'm not sure how much relevance is placed on school reports and application forms during the initials, maybe Howard can shed some light.
Surreymum73
2nd Former

Post by Surreymum73 »

Lets hope Howard will be along soon , if its a case that there were 300 boys they took 100 you didn't make it then i guess that's how the cookie crumbles . also noted there was no recommendation regarding king Edwards which I believe there was last year ?. Called king Edwards but they can only offer 50% max bursary so I didn't bother with the open day as can't afford it :( definitely need to start doing the lottery !!! .
eowyn3099
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by eowyn3099 »

Surreymum73 wrote: also noted there was no recommendation regarding king Edwards which I believe there was last year ?. Called king Edwards but they can only offer 50% max bursary so I didn't bother with the open day as can't afford it :( definitely need to start doing the lottery !!! .

I think parents were informed about KES if they narrowly missed out at residentials, rather than after initials. Don't quote me on that though!
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

There is nothing to stop you going for other schools bursaries anyway, is there? All public schools that are registered as charities HAVE to provide a certain number of bursaries in order to keep their charitable status. It is a lot more closely scrutinised than it used to be.
Surreymum73
2nd Former

Post by Surreymum73 »

Yes we are going for reeds boys in cobham as well I've got a parental interview next month so guess I'm going to have to dazzle them.
Silverlise
2nd Former

Post by Silverlise »

HowardH wrote:With apologies to all those still waiting ...
100 boys and 100 girls have been invited back for the yr 7 residential phase in January.
As always it is very sad to have to say no to so many children, but I have to emphasise that the process is very, very thorough.
Thank you for the clarification HowardH. Still awaiting the postman.....