3rd form GCSE options

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

3rd form GCSE options

Post by pinkhebe »

Have any of your children received the options booklet? DS was under the opinion that they were being sent out over Easter. It would appear that at least one of his friends got one last term.
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: 3rd form GCSE options

Post by Atticus »

Hi - my daughter thinks he's winding up your ds. Dd said they are being sent with next terms timetable. There was an options sheet given out in the RLT giving examples of some of the option groupings and a list of options. Did your ds get that? - I could send you a photo of it if not.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

No he's got nothing, I'll pm you my new email address, if you could send a photo that would be great.
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

Hi Pinkhebe, I have just emailed you. Nothing on gcse's came in the Easter mailing today. :(
eowyn3099
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by eowyn3099 »

We've not received anything to do with option selection. As the parents evening is now only 3 weeks away, I'm not too happy at being so in the dark about the process. Can anyone throw any light on the subject?
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

No, we havnt received anything further either. I would have thought that we would have had options information, detailing the areas covered, that we could have discussed with our children over the Easter break. But that opportunity has now passed.

The children were informed by the school that this mailing would be sent to them in the holidays.

There was a sheet listing the subjects to be taught to gcse, but no indication as to normal gcse or igcse and what happens if a gcse is taken early, what other subjects are to be taken afterwards.

The 3rd form had a meeting yesterday about the language options. I can message you privately with what dd said.

Isn't there supposed to be some sort of presentation or choices made on the bank holiday meeting? It's going to be very busy with prize giving, options 'thingy' and full parents evening. Presumably we need to discuss with current tutors the choices our children will be making this term. AND all those in the drama production have a full rehearsal from 7.30 which gives 2 hours to do everything!!!

Has anyone heard anything different?

Can those in the school who read this please let us know what is actually going to happen on and before the 6th please.
eowyn3099
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by eowyn3099 »

Atticus wrote:
There was a sheet listing the subjects to be taught to gcse, but no indication as to normal gcse or igcse and what happens if a gcse is taken early, what other subjects are to be taken afterwards.
we haven't even received that much! I've had to look it up on the website, but even then, it's not clear how many subjects they can choose. English x2, maths, sciences, 1 language, at least 1 humanity, I assume one art subject, are the compulsory, but other than that its all very unclear.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

As far as i can make out they have 4 choices, 1 of which has to be a language and 1 a humanity. I had no idea they took any early. Hopefully a parent with older children will be along to give us some 'proper' information :D
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

However my son did say there is a taster lesson in spanish on Thursday. He's thinking of taking that instead of french, but I'd really like to talk to someone about the disadvantages of completing a foreign language GCSE in 3 years.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

As far as i can make out they have 4 choices, 1 of which has to be a language and 1 a humanity. I had no idea they took any early. Hopefully a parent with older children will be along to give us some 'proper' information
Hi Pinkhebe

I can only speak from my own experience, and things change fast (!), but this certainly sounds about right. DS took 10 GCSEs last summer; English lit & lang, maths and three sciences (all compulsory) plus one language, one humanity and two 'free choice' subjects. I guess if your child only does double science (the school decide this later on) they'll end up with 9 GCSEs. And CH expect 6 of these to be at A grade to guarantee progression into the sixth form!!

My DS took maths a year early and then did another IGCSE in further maths last year, but I think this option is only offered to pupils in the top maths set.
eowyn3099
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by eowyn3099 »

Any idea why they decide their options a year earlier than state schools? I assumed that they possibly did take a option early then doubled up? Or do they need the extra year for the igcse taken in so many subjects?
Last edited by eowyn3099 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Any idea why they decide their options a year earlier than state schools?
In our area, state schools also now make GCSE choices at the end of year 8. I guess it's a result of the pressure to perform for those all-important league tables, but it does seem very early - especially for summer-born children like my DS, who are often not even into their teens before their options are narrowed down drastically.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

DS is currently in UF so can let you know what happened for him. Can't remember when the options form came out though.

Only set 1 Maths are taking the exam early in his year. I know from a conversation I have had with one member of teaching staff at CH that changes to exam board marking/grade boudaries means they are less comfortable about putting students in early.

He took 4 options as already mentioned - including the one humanity and one language.

The decision about who will take Separate Sciences isn't being made until January of GE with his cohort.

He does iGCSEs in English, Maths, Sciences and German. The rest are GCSEs.

Write your questions down so you remember to get the answers at the Parents Evening.
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

I have just received the options info by email :)
eowyn3099
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by eowyn3099 »

Atticus wrote:I have just received the options info by email :)
Me too - love the way it suggests we discuss the options with our child over the Easter break! :shock: