Sibling places

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

eowyn3099
LE (Little Erasmus)

Sibling places

Post by eowyn3099 »

I've noticed on the boards, that since the changes to the bursaries (from Sept 2012), many families have had younger siblings turned down for places. Whilst I totally understand that due to the academic nature of the school, sibling places aren't given by right: I am concerned, having just applied for our dd for a place in 2014, that it will be potentially tougher for her to gain a place now than before the change in rules!?

I assume that's because they have to take into account what we pay for our ds, the total they would receive for our 2 children would be less overall that 2 unrelated children. Can anyone advise on this or have any experience of this situation?
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Re: Sibling places

Post by pinkhebe »

I think I've come to the same conclusion, and in some ways it's fair enough, CH does not have an unlimited fund. I have a second child who is due to sit the admissions process starting in October, however he isn't of the same academic calibre as my first so I wasn't holding out a lot of hope anyway.
eowyn3099
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by eowyn3099 »

I guess the global economic downturn is also at play here. However, if they are turning down perfectly able, bright and gifted siblings to get a better return on non related children's bursaries I do think that is morally wrong.

Many siblings spend hours at CH watching concerts, sports days, sporting events etc. They assume that if they are bright and work hard that they will get a place; then they are potentially devastated when they get turned down and have to cope with feeling inferior to an older sibling, when in fact, they possibly would have more chance of a place in they were unrelated. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I am really concerned that despite being academically brighter than her brother (2nd child and girl thing) there is the distict possibility that our DD won't be offered a place for 2014. We always said we would do the same for both children, but really can't send her to any other private school as we can't afford non means tested fees on top of what we are paying at CH for DS. :(
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

Siblings have never had preferential treatment - BUT in my experience they have NEVER been disadvantaged either. This statement comes after 13 years of being involved at all levels of the Admissions process.
eowyn3099
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by eowyn3099 »

HowardH wrote:Siblings have never had preferential treatment - BUT in my experience they have NEVER been disadvantaged either. This statement comes after 13 years of being involved at all levels of the Admissions process.

That's really good to know. It just seemed from recent posts on the boards that many more siblings were failing to attain a place. Of course that isn't the whole picture; not knowing the children or their individual strengths, the calibre of those applying, family need etc all coming into play with the selection process.

However as the school has made very clear it had taken a substantial knock in the economic downturn & needs to recoup some money. Clearly siblings on bursaries will bring in less money than two children from different families. I could be being totally over sceptical, CH, however is quite secretive on all things bursary, so it makes for a level of distrust that wouldn't be there if they were more open.