Vaughan Holme

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Vaughan Holme

Post by CHDad »

So very sad to hear of the death of Vaughan Holme, Housemaster of Maine A. He died whilst climbing in Wales on Saturday along with an Old Blue Jack Hutton - Potts.

See the CH press release http://www.christs-hospital.org.uk/pres ... june-2013/

My thought are with their families and everyone at CH who is struggling to come to terms with this tragedy at the moment.

R.I.P
Last edited by CHDad on Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Re: Vaughan Holme

Post by pinkhebe »

It is very sad, especially with him leaving a wife and 2 children :(
ReallyMissingHer
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by ReallyMissingHer »

I was on here last night checking to see if it was the Wales accident that he had been in as my daughter was too upset to make sense on the phone, she's devestated one of her favourite teachers and she climbs too so knew him well - also how devasted she is for his wife and children :(

My heart goes out to them all x
juicymum

Post by juicymum »

I am so sorry to hear this. Our thoughts and prayers for his family. what a sad loss
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Living here in Snowdonia, I'm so sorry to hear the CH connection.

We seem to have had too many accidents in our mountains this winter, and now this on the cliffs.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

It is terribly sad, Vaughan has been a wonderful houseparent and an inspiration to the boys in Maine A. As a Parent I shall miss him goodness knows what it must be like for the pupils, however he will never be forgotten by them, of that I am certain.
Sally
2nd Former

Post by Sally »

Such a terrible tragedy. My heart goes out to Vaughan’s wife Val and their children. His death is a devastating loss not only to his lovely family but also to the whole school and particularly the boys of Maine A, which includes my son. He was a wonderfully supportive housemaster, a kind and compassionate man, much loved and respected by the boys in his care to whom he was a surrogate father. I’m sure he will be remembered always by all those whose schooldays have been considerably enriched by his presence and guidance.

http://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/news/loc ... -1-5193087

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10488892 ... dy/?ref=nt
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Sad news indeed.

R.I.P.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Sally
2nd Former

Post by Sally »

Gerard Whitely, Assistant Housemaster of Maine A, is coordinating a collection - if anyone would like to contribute, this is what he says in an e-mail today:
Many of you have asked about a collection for Mrs Holme and a possible commemoration for Vaughan. I understand some parents have already made kind donations. If you would like to donate please bring either cash or a cheque (made out to "Christ's Hospital") on Saturday and I will collate the money and organise the funds.