New girl- advice?

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

magpietillidie
2nd Former

New girl- advice?

Post by magpietillidie »

Hi,
I'm a girl currently in year 9 in a state school in south Manchester. I'm hoping to attend Christ's Hospital at 16+ and will be (hopefully) applying to Oxbridge. Could any current parents/pupils give me an inside view?
Specifically: What type of room is offered to a Dep? I know it's study bedrooms in Grecians.
Is it hard/easy to become a school monitor? Do you have to have attended CH from 11 to become one?
What standard is a typical band drummer at?
What sort of questions should I ask the pupils at the open day?
What is the general atmosphere of the school?
Does each house have its own atmosphere?

And any other advice.
Thank you!
onewestguncopse
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: New girl- advice?

Post by onewestguncopse »

magpietillidie wrote:Hi,
I'm a girl currently in year 9 in a state school in south Manchester. I'm hoping to attend Christ's Hospital at 16+ and will be (hopefully) applying to Oxbridge. Could any current parents/pupils give me an inside view?
Specifically: What type of room is offered to a Dep? I know it's study bedrooms in Grecians.
Is it hard/easy to become a school monitor? Do you have to have attended CH from 11 to become one?
What standard is a typical band drummer at?
What sort of questions should I ask the pupils at the open day?
What is the general atmosphere of the school?
Does each house have its own atmosphere?

And any other advice.
Thank you!
In answer to the questions - here goes -

1. Most Deps get single rooms in Boarding Houses, although a small number choose to share.
2. Monitors are appointed regardless of how long you have been at the school. In the recent past, pupils who joined in the Sixth Form have become Deputy Head Girl or Boy (we use different terms for this by the way but there is no point confusing the issue!)
2. The Band is very high standard and most of the drummers are equally good. You can have a go though as I am sure they would welcome new blood. Music at the school is exceptional - we are one of the best music schools in the UK.
3. You can ask the pupils anything you like - they are not programmed to reply in any particular way. In fact, many parents think that the pupils sell the school very well.
4. Friendly, Open, Busy, Academic, Tiring, Aspirational, Diverse and Egalitarian.
5. Yes

Best advice at this stage is to work hard, get excellent GCSE results (we currently look for 6As minimum), decide if you want A level or IB, do something that makes you stand out from a crowd that you can tell us about in the future and be yourself. Also think hard about Boarding and whether this is right for you - we will want to know that you have thought this through and understand its implications.