School Dinners In Present Times.

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

CHDad
Deputy Grecian

School Dinners In Present Times.

Post by CHDad »

My son is always complaining about the food at CH. I'm interested to know whether this is just him being a fussy eater or whether other children say the same? I must say I have had a couple of lunches at CH and I thought they were very good!
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Re: School Dinners In Present Times.

Post by LongGone »

Oh my! I see a rain of memories from the old crowd, Marmite fritters and fishbone pie leading the way!

Let the fun begin.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

Maybe we should have two threads, I am interested in the view of current school dinners !
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

my son has never complained about them, but then again he's used to my 'cooking' :D
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

I think maybe my son is just too fussy. He eats absolutely everything at home but then I try and avoid the two things he really doesn't like, mushrooms and onions. He can spot a mushroom or a shred of onion at 100yards and apparently everything with a sauce at CH has one or the other in (or both) !
OKS
3rd Former

Post by OKS »

Over the twelve years I was a parent (until last Summer) I think the food went through phases - sometimes good, sometimes not so great! But there is choice, and so I think there always seems to be something that suits most people. A really fussy eater would have a problem with any institutional type catering, and its inevitable repetition. Make sure your son can cook! By the time he was in the 6th form my son was practically self catering! Grecians only have to go to one meal a day, though my daughter usually had lunch and supper but made her own breakfast.
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

He can cook and is quite inventive in the kitchen so there is some hope for his time in Grecians. He can also bake very good home made bread so maybe he can start a Grecians bakery! I don't think he is really fussy , I have no trouble keeping him well fed but as I say I avoid the few ingredients that I know he hates (or I disguise them well). I guess also if I was with him at mealtimes I could easily persuade him to try things he might avoid out of uncertainty. Meat and two veg (he loves veg unlike a lot of children) would keep him happy, however I think CH chefs try to be more inventive quite understandably and this doesn't always suit him.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

My son seems to be less fussy these days, he'll eat mince now! which opens up a huge amount of meals at home, especially as his brothers fave meal is spag bol. Now I'm not sure whether this is due to the fact he is always hungry, or the fact he is taking food tech and he's been making his own bolognaise sauce and shepherds pie. By the by, I'm so impressed with the food he's cooking in food tech, a lovely pot of jam was bought home last weekend and he's making marmalade this week :D
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

LongGone wrote:Oh my! I see a rain of memories from the old crowd, Marmite fritters and fishbone pie leading the way!

Let the fun begin.

To avoid any confusion, you wil note I have changed the topic title with the words '.... IN PRESENT TIMES.

I would hate to think that any of us older Old Blues might wish to high-jack the thread and tell you youngsters how tough it REALLY was in the good old days !!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

Haha John, actually my son probably would have preferred the food in the "good old days" as he likes basic traditional cooking and nothing too fancy! I didn't mean to be disparaging about people's posts re food in days gone by, it's just I was genuinely interested to hear whether most children like the food nowadays.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

CHDad wrote:Haha John, actually my son probably would have preferred the food in the "good old days" as he likes basic traditional cooking and nothing too fancy! I didn't mean to be disparaging about people's posts re food in days gone by, it's just I was genuinely interested to hear whether most children like the food nowadays.

Nice one, Chris.

You are encouraging me to post hi-jack !

When I went there in 1958, it was an eye-opener as far as food was concerned.

Unlike today, ABSOLUTELY NO CHOICES ! You ate what you were served, or went hungry. I don't remember any dietry choices for veggies and the like.

I went there as quite a fussy eater and left able to eat anything put in front of me.

Basic home cooking ? The first two words might source comments from some other 'oldies', but then again - That's thread hi-jacking !!

(I will get round to replying to your long PM in the very near future Chris, I promise. Just been busy with footy probs !!)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

My son doesn't like the food either. He hasn't really explained why but cooking for the masses is generally not going to be as good as catering for a small family (ie. me and him!)

Brunch in house on a Sunday is his favourite.
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

My dd would agree with yadayadas ds. She doesn't like the school lunch or dinner - and chooses salad more than we would like her too. Breakfast is mainly fruit for her, but she does like brunch on a Sunday.
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

So relieved it's not just my son! I should have said he does like the breakfasts!
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

In the days of Mrs Keeley, the food was absolutely dire. I vividly remember the whole school served rice pudding which had been cooked with salt, not sugar. Nobody noticed until it was served to tables - no checking, no quality control.