Bursary information

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

derryboy
2nd Former

Re: Bursary information

Post by derryboy »

Prompted by the current debate surrounding charitable status of private schools, I thought I'd take a look on this forum to check how CH is getting along (I'm a past parent).

I'm rather concerned to find this post from Jo:
And the HM says that it has been good for school morale to have pupils whose parents could have afforded to send them to more expensive schools, but who have positively chosen CH.
What does this mean? It seems to indicate a worrying bias towards wealthy parents. Was there a problem with morale among the traditional profile of CH pupils (those for whom the school was founded, precisely because they didn't enjoy the luxury of choice)? My child was privileged to go to CH on a bursary without which we could never have afforded private education, but I like to think that our choice was still a positive one!

I remember a post on this forum a few years back where a member of staff opined that opening up CH to full fee payers would attract a "better quality" of pupils. Personally I'm worried (and also somewhat offended!) by this suggested trend towards equating parental wealth with quality or positive morale. What do current parents think?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

There are already several posts on this subject from parents past and present.

... and also from some of the older Old Blues !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

............. and some of us are even old enough to remember the days when there was no mention of bursaries, because we all qualified. We, or our parents, paid a parental contribution assessed according to income.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Derryboy wrote:
I'm rather concerned to find this post from Jo:

And the HM says that it has been good for school morale to have pupils whose parents could have afforded to send them to more expensive schools, but who have positively chosen CH..

What does this mean?
I suspect the HM means his own morale. From experience, I’d say that he would be much more comfortable dealing with families who can afford to ‘positively choose’ CH rather than those who come to the school through need.

But Frances, you should be reassured to know that most CH families still pay a parental contribution assessed according to income (although the terms of the assessment are increasingly obscure, and the levels of assessed contribution increasingly unaffordable for many!).