Residential assessment?

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

InquisitiveDad
2nd Former

Residential assessment?

Post by InquisitiveDad »

Well he made it to the residential assessment in January. Any advice, apart from the obvious?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Residential assessment?

Post by J.R. »

Just tell him to, 'Be Himself' !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Steggy2012
2nd Former

Post by Steggy2012 »

Hello there,
My first time on this site. My son through to the residentials too- hugely proud!
Just wanted to say congratulation at all those other boys and girl who have made it this far.
Also a big thank you to all those positve posts I have read from last year, as I have been coming across negative comments- all be it form a few years ago re the school! It may have been better to not have looked online and gone with our initial thought on the school- which was wonderful- lovely down to earth children and welcoming staff!
I am still struggling with the prospect of not having this beautiful soul in my life everyday- but I would say to any person who wants to question my parental choices, is that I will always do the best I can to support and give him the best opportunities- it is not about my feeling- but his- I am his custodian, not his owner.
Good to find this sight- lots of support and kind works going on.
All the best!
Moominmama
2nd Former

Post by Moominmama »

Hello!

Another newbie here. My daughter is also going to the residential on Thursday. :-)

Didn't that come quickly? Yikes!

I shall be so glad when all this is over. My son went through this about 10 years ago and didn't get in after the residential. Which was awful at the time, but was actually the best thing that could have happened to him. CH wasn't the place for him, and they knew what they were doing in turning him down. He's living proof that there is life after a rejection letter! :D

But my daughter...oh...she is a totally different kettle of fish. She desperately wants to go, and would throw herself into everything on offer. So I'm crossing things and hoping, whilst dreaming up Plan B.

What will be will be.. ( but that isn't going to stop me drilling her on her tables in the meantime..hahaha!)

Good luck to everyone. See you on Thursday!
Moominmama
2nd Former

Post by Moominmama »

Well, she's there! Tis all in the lap of the Gods now...

And I get 24 hrs of peace and quiet. Result! :D

I do wish that I didn't have the nagging worry that even if she does get through, I might not be able to afford the fees they will ask for. Having to say, off you go, do your best, but bear in mind that even if you come out top at everything, dazzle everyone etc, then you still may not get to go because the bursary may not be enough, is hard, but hey ho, I guess it's just real life and no point hiding economic reality from her.
But a guestimate to the nearest £1000 would be something to go on. Its the complete cluelessness which is so stressful. :(

I'm going to be a wreck by Valentines day... :D
dsmg
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by dsmg »

What is all this residential business? Never happened in my day - just a medical when our private parts were looked at as we all stood naked in a long line in front of some doctor in London!
Play up Pompey!
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

dsmg wrote:What is all this residential business? Never happened in my day - just a medical when our private parts were looked at as we all stood naked in a long line in front of some doctor in London!
Sounds about right...! ditto Hertford circa 1960's :oops: :?
InquisitiveDad
2nd Former

Post by InquisitiveDad »

He had a great time, is now fully sold on the principle of boarding - now the wait for Feb 15th begins...
Moominmama
2nd Former

Post by Moominmama »

Mine too. Loved the food, had a great time.

4 and a half weeks. Not that I've counted or anything.. :)

So other Parents-in-Waiting, what shall we do to take our minds off CH until then?

(apart from work and other boring stuff. I mean fun things..)
dsmg
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by dsmg »

Seriously, can someone explain the ins and outs of Residential Assessment. How does it work? Ta
Play up Pompey!
dsmg
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by dsmg »

Don't all shout at once!!
Play up Pompey!
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I don't think there is anyone left to shout - they have all defected to Facebook. I wonder if there is any point in keeping this forum going?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Moominmama
2nd Former

Post by Moominmama »

Facebook? How very dare you! :shock: Not this girl, lord no...

I just realised that the best way to take my mind off CH was to avoid this forum, for a start... :lol:

Tis very quiet here though, considering 200 kids were at the residential.

Anyway, to answer the question,and please bear in mind that this in only my take on it as a parent relying on second hand information from an 11 year old, rather than those who run it which would probably be more helpful, the residential is Stage 2 of the selection process.

Once they got through the initial computer based tests in the Autumn, 100 boys and 100 girls (2 for every place) were invited back to CH to stay over for the night.
They were constantly observed to assess their suitability for boarding (ie are they a total pain who cant make friends, or behave once the parents are not around?), they are interviewed, do a sporting/team activity, sit exams in maths and english, and generally get to have a glimpse of what life (and food!) would be like at CH. According to my daughter its a lot more fun than she expected, and she made lots of friends whilst she was there.

They get dropped off at 10.30 in their assigned boarding house on the first day, and then don't have contact with parents until after Chapel the next day at 2.15pm. Bliss! :D

And then you have to wait for the results, which is a lot less fun than I expected.

Not sure if that helps, but maybe someone from the admissions side could come in with a better description?
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Aha! Usually our 'insider' fount of all useful information is Howard H but he too has recently been remarkably absent - perhaps he has also defected to Facebook? Please come back Howard - all is forgiven!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

I am still here!
Most of what has been said is accurate, but in addition there were some group tasks which were assessed in house and the interview is split in two - general and suitability for boarding.
All of the assessments have been collated and the Panel meets over the next two days to determine which children will be made offers.
All parents will know the outcome by Valentine's Day!
I cannot think of a more comprehensive of rigorous process during my 39 years in teaching.