knitted Housey frog

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

knitted Housey frog

Post by pinkhebe »

I wasn't sure whereabouts to put this post, but here goes

When my Ds started CH, the tuck shop sold lovely knitted Housey frogs - they really helped DS2 get over the fact his older brother had 'vanished' off to school.

I have recently taught myself to knit, and having looked at these frogs I think that if only I had a pattern, I could make one of these.

Does anyone know if a pattern exists?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: knitted Housey frog

Post by J.R. »

I would normally point you in the direction of MrsC, (Janet) who did/(does ?) work in the tuck=shop.

However, she hasn't been on here for quite a while. Try e-mailing her through this site.

J.R.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Sadly tuck shop doesn't exist anymore. At least not as it was. It was a lady at Bluecoats pond who knitted the frogs for us. Monies received went towards music lessons for pupils who couldn't otherwise afford them, I believe . Once upon a time we did sell the pattern, but I assume tank we had left will have been thrown away when the new regime took over. They wouldn't have had the slightest interest in them as selling them wouldn't make any money for them. I will see if I can find out if there are any around still.
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Mrs C. wrote:Sadly tuck shop doesn't exist anymore. At least not as it was.
Good grief, this is devastating news! :shock: Please tell me there isn't a Starbucks in school grounds...
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

There WAS a costa machine in the new place ( called Buttons and run by Chartwells the caterers) but it was taken away as they didn't sell enough. No surprise there! The pupils constantly complain about the overpriced limited range of goods on offer, only 3 people allowed in at a time due to theft ( which we said would happen if they insisted on having open shelves all the way round the room, but then who were we to tell them?!) . It can't really be called a tuck shop any more. They have to entice pupils in with special offers like get a free kitkat if you buy a bottle of expensive pop. They must have a lot of old stock and can't possibly be making a profit. From being open most of the day they've now realised pupils only come in in the afternoons - staff were sitting twiddling their thumbs for hours on end. Academic staff etc were thrilled (not) to learn they would be able to buy newspapers, sandwiches, cake, milk , fruit and veg and even fresh bread ( if they ordered it the day before) .... But I've never found anyone who has actually been there for any of said items. The original, rather odd, idea was to set it up like a motorway service station shop . I think they forgot that their customers would be mainly children aged 11-18........
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mrs C. wrote:There WAS a costa machine in the new place ( called Buttons and run by Chartwells the caterers) but it was taken away as they didn't sell enough. No surprise there! The pupils constantly complain about the overpriced limited range of goods on offer, only 3 people allowed in at a time due to theft ( which we said would happen if they insisted on having open shelves all the way round the room, but then who were we to tell them?!) . It can't really be called a tuck shop any more. They have to entice pupils in with special offers like get a free kitkat if you buy a bottle of expensive pop. They must have a lot of old stock and can't possibly be making a profit. From being open most of the day they've now realised pupils only come in in the afternoons - staff were sitting twiddling their thumbs for hours on end. Academic staff etc were thrilled (not) to learn they would be able to buy newspapers, sandwiches, cake, milk , fruit and veg and even fresh bread ( if they ordered it the day before) .... But I've never found anyone who has actually been there for any of said items. The original, rather odd, idea was to set it up like a motorway service station shop . I think they forgot that their customers would be mainly children aged 11-18........

I really hate to say this, but it's yet just another nail in the coffin.

So much for progress !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
onewestguncopse
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by onewestguncopse »

Most of the tuck is now bought in House (most Houses sell it for a small profit and I know one House that bought a new TV with the profits) or in Sainsbury's - the pupils go into town for more often these days. The Old Shop was popular but gone for good I suspect.

There is a place for a School Shop that sells sweets as well as sports kit, scrum caps, studs, DMs, pens, paper and memorabilia etc at CH. However, there does not seem to be the will to open one. The Grecians Club is being demolished soon (before it falls down) and a new building will take its place. That may have space for the said Shop. That is when I think we may have a Starbucks but it will depend on whether they open it up to adult visitors too.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

onewestguncopse wrote:The Grecians Club is being demolished soon
When did the Grecians Club close and is there an equivalent club these days?
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
onewestguncopse
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by onewestguncopse »

The Grecians Club still exists but is now open to all Sixth Form. I suspect when the new building appears it will be renamed to make it a more inclusive space. Not sure but I do know the pupils are involved in the planning process, so hopefully their ideas will be incorporated into the architects plans.