Barnes House Photos

Photos associated with Barnes house

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Barnes House Photos

Post by J.R. »

I hadn't realised that at the time I originally posted.

I just about remember certain food and sweet rationing still in force in the early 50's, before my CH days.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Matron sitting next to Roger Martin was Esther Green, who only passed away a little while ago.
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
5h17shoveller
3rd Former

Post by 5h17shoveller »

Another BARNES A "corker " found under the floor boards.
We always had a competitive edge with BARNES B but can we please have some photos of BB in the early 1970's .
Surely mr Cullen , Cuff and Hall have some ! Come on guys search for those photos !!!!

Barnes A 45/ Lamb B 9 71-77
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

So, I was sitting in the pub with Keith Battarbee last night (as you do) after watching NTLive Macbeth at the local cinema and we were trying to explain the school uniform to someone... I Googled on my smart phone (again, as you do!) and this page came up!

Keith was able to point out several people including himself to us (giggles all round) in the 1961 photo but then we noticed his named is spelled wrong below the picture.... PLEASE could someone edit it to BATTARBEE?

Thank You
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

mvgrogan wrote:So, I was sitting in the pub with Keith Battarbee last night (as you do) after watching NTLive Macbeth at the local cinema and we were trying to explain the school uniform to someone... I Googled on my smart phone (again, as you do!) and this page came up!

Keith was able to point out several people including himself to us (giggles all round) in the 1961 photo but then we noticed his named is spelled wrong below the picture.... PLEASE could someone edit it to BATTARBEE?

Thank You

Your wish has been complied with - my pleasure
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Living_in_Portugal
2nd Former

Post by Living_in_Portugal »

oiref wrote:
5h17shoveller wrote:Another great photo. Richard R picked the best position .
Looks like Simon Rees needed a few more boxes to stand on.

Name the guys / staff that I cannot remember so rack your brains to help me name them all !

:rock

BACK ROW: 1: peter middleton 2: shaun webb 3: toby kibble 4: dick ruck 5: graham iles 6: dave french 7: ian swatridge 8: "rocky" warwick 9: john farrar 10: peter lockyer

simon rees can just be seen in between the rows.

4TH ROW: 1: simon brougham 2:? 3: tony stock 4: ? 5: julian angel 6: miles pengelly 7 : ? 8:alex holt 9:? shepherd 10: ? mitchell 11: miles hoskin 12: stuart billings 13: shaun eyles ? 14: clive newnham

3RD ROW 1: james preston 2: charley parker 3: russell iles 4 francis ? 5:? 6: ? 7: frank mcdaid 8: nigel walker
9: trevor beel 10: "tiny" batt 11: ? 12: scott engering 13:dave allen 14: chris burns

2ND ROW: 1:simon stock 2: chris potts 3: steven adams 4: Bob Sillett 5:ellie van oughten 6:roger martin 7:? 8: ?
9:tom hare -duke 10:steve pollard 11: phil marsh

1ST ROW : 1:kneeling , david arnold ? 2: martin francis ? 3: richard charlesworth ? 4: paul billing ? 5: : ? 6: peter schooling 7: steven taylor ? 8: ? 9 : jeremy sykes 10: simon randall 11: ? 12 ? robinson 13: kneeling ? hodgson 14: ?
12= randall 11= Chris Wood up the other end is John Carter
Kneeling front row 13 is Micheal Hodgson , my older brother .
huggybearsdad
2nd Former

Re: Barnes B House Photos

Post by huggybearsdad »

michael scuffil wrote:What is the silver trophy? Does it have something to do with music? If so, Barnes B was clearly an arty house at this time. The other trophy is the Coleridge Trophy, awarded for academic excellence. No great crowd of sporting awards, certainly.
Hi Michael.
The silver trophy was held for shooting at Bisley? I believe. The Hay Cup. Barnes B held it for at least 3 years. I think John Knight can confirm the location of the shoot out. I only enjoyed being on the butts party to Steyning then dropping off at a half -way stop for a swift half pint shandy
I only got my Cert, A with .22 rifle in the CCF......
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

I am confused.

Surely it is a photo of Barnes A, if so, why have they got a Barnes B cup?

Also, why is a junior house involved in shooting?
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

jhopgood wrote:I am confused.

Surely it is a photo of Barnes A, if so, why have they got a Barnes B cup?

Also, why is a junior house involved in shooting?
I rather suspect that a number of different photos have been confused/conflated. Certainly the last three or four to be posted are on the Barnes A lawn.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Barnes B House Photos

Post by sejintenej »

huggybearsdad wrote: Tue May 26, 2015 12:30 am
I only got my Cert, A with .22 rifle in the CCF......
I was bl**** annoyed at that. They would not allow us to sight the rifles in and the one I used was way off. For the sake of just a few pence they tarnished my army record for life; that was how much CH cared for its pupils in those days and they haven't sought to make any amends since.

To think that in competition (with a decent .22) I was averaging 99.4 over the year. That was somewhat of a joke - I was in the second level at the club; someone in the first level never won the club trophy but did come fourth in the Olympics - that was the club standard!
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!