Col A photos 1970's

Photos associated with Coleridge house

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Col A photos 1970's

Post by Mid A 15 »

sejintenej wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote: Mr Carrington really did a tremendous job getting a team together, looking back, when you consider that Athletics was never really regarded as a mainstream sport during our time at CH. For example I was categorically told that cricket came first which, as it happened, was my preference but given that fact one imagines that some decent athletes probably never competed for the school.
Up to 1961 as far as I know there was no athletics team nor competition. There was compulsory athletics "standards" where you had to compete in every event and got points for your house by beating certain markers (time for running, height / distance for jumping etc.) There was absolutely no training, advice or responsible supervision etc and my shoulder has finally failed as a result of throwing the shot discus style - yes, I did get the points so Kit was pleased. Another favourite was to put hurdles back-to-front so that they wouldn't come off and you fell into the cinders which then got under the skin and hurt like h*** when you had to start again immediately. Failure to get points was a beatable offence - I won't embarrass them by naming the two in Col A whom I know were so punished for eurovision type scores.
Finally there was the Sports Day when house teams seemed to have been chosen by lot. In Col A athletics was so hated that nobody bothered to compete - you just went out there and jogged round the track as necessary.

There was a sailing team, surprisingly; about 2 matches a summer over near Guildford.

Yes, cricket was THE summer boredom though I think that there might have been a lonely tennis court somewhere if you could get out of compulsory cricket. Apart from that there was prep, Eton Fives, prep, swimming, prep, fishing and prep.
If there was no Athletics team in your time David I suspect Mr Carrington singlehandedly created it although I do remember Mr Read (see Maine photos thread) taking an interest in Athletics.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Mid A 15 wrote:
If there was no Athletics team in your time David I suspect Mr Carrington singlehandedly created it although I do remember Mr Read (see Maine photos thread) taking an interest in Athletics.
I don't recall a Mr Carrington. AFAIR it was Mr Pink who was responsible for the athletics equipment which was stored in a shed at the side of the track. He did have an unfortunate ability to keep the shed locked when equipment was needed and be unavailable! Guess who learned to pick a padlock :x (at the request of and in the presence of another master)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Nr Carrington definitely had some interest in athletics during my time.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
bobcrawshaw
2nd Former

Post by bobcrawshaw »

I have started sorting and scanning the many negatives I have of my time in Col A, as it happens I have some of sports day

http://s784.photobucket.com/albums/yy12 ... RU/Sports/
Ma.A 1968-1971 Col.A 1971-1975
elbe
2nd Former

Post by elbe »

Forgive a first-time poster's infelicities, but I may be able to fill in a few missing names from the photos.
As far as I can recall, Col A 1975 shows:

?, ?, ?, ?, David Hosking, Adam Coleman, Mark Lindsay-Bayley
Mike Mitchell, Martin Garner, Clive Thompson, Leslie Blohm, Stuart Pryle, Simon Gillespie, Peter Hiett,
Mark Wyatt, Peter Boys, Nigel Harrison, ?, Olver, Ashe, Iain (?) Weatherill
Tony Clifford, Chris Laughton, ?, Mike Pearce, ? Jo Bryant, ?, ?,
Bob Crawshaw, Ken Brown, Andy Godfrey, John Trappes-Lomax, Pete Brotherton, Mrs. Lawson, Chris Steane, Fort, Phelan,
Ian Harris, Olly Stones, ?, ?, Ian Mackay, Keith Workman, Buster Howes, ? Phil Naylor.

Apologies (a) to those I have left out and (b) to those I have inevitably mis-identified.
bluegrunt
3rd Former

Post by bluegrunt »

sejintenej wrote:I don't recall a Mr Carrington.
Tall man, I seem to remember him walking with a bit of a stoop as he was so tall and spent a lot of time bending to speak. JM Carrington - he was a housemaster I think. Thornton A, perhaps?
LHA 69-72; Col A 72-75
bluegrunt
3rd Former

Post by bluegrunt »

elbe wrote:Forgive a first-time poster's infelicities, but I may be able to fill in a few missing names from the photos.
As far as I can recall, Col A 1975 shows:

Mark Wyatt, Peter Boys, Nigel Harrison, ?, Jeremy Olver, Andrew Ashe, Iain (?) Weatherill
Tony Clifford, Chris Laughton, (Is it) Chris Grady?, Mike Pearce, Robin Wilson, Jo Bryant, Dave Hodges, Gareth Balle,
Well done Leslie, you've remembered the names very well. I've added a couple that I (think I) remember.
bobcrawshaw wrote:Just to prove that Ch did still operate during the late 60's/early 70's ...
Thanks for posting these pictures, Bob. They bring back good memories.
LHA 69-72; Col A 72-75
Karl Thompson
2nd Former

Post by Karl Thompson »

In the 1973 photo, the front row line-up is (l-r): Bill Olver, Jo Bryant, Grant Keir, Duncan McCallum, Mark Coleman, Stuart Pryle, Ian Weatherhill, Andrew Ashe, Nigel Harrison.

In the 1974 photo, front row is Peter Boys, Mark Wyatt, Mike Mitchell, Clive Thompson, Simon Gillespie, Les Blohm, Martin Garner, Peter Hiett.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I still find it strange that in the space of a few years, Christian names became known for all.

I only knew the names of my closest 'mates' in house.

Maybe the more 'military' regime ended at the demise of the C.M.E. Seaman era.
bluegrunt
3rd Former

Post by bluegrunt »

Karl Thompson wrote:In the 1973 photo, the front row line-up is (l-r): Bill Olver, Jo Bryant, Grant Keir, Duncan McCallum, Mark Coleman, Stuart Pryle, Ian Weatherhill, Andrew Ashe, Nigel Harrison. In the 1974 photo, front row is Peter Boys, Mark Wyatt, Mike Mitchell, Clive Thompson, Simon Gillespie, Les Blohm, Martin Garner, Peter Hiett.
Well remembered Karl - what house were you in?
LHA 69-72; Col A 72-75
Karl Thompson
2nd Former

Post by Karl Thompson »

bluegrunt wrote:Well remembered Karl - what house were you in?
I was in a sort of Wendy house, mate.

Glancing at the 1975 Col A photograph again, the full cast list is:

Back row (l-r): Nigel Moran, Peter Larking, Simon Oecken, Peter Cullum, David Hoskins, Adam Coleman, Mark Lindsay-Bayley;
Second row: Mike Mitchell, Martin Garner, Clive Thompson, Les Blohm, Stuart Pryle, Simon Gillespie, Peter Hiett;
Third row: Mark Wyatt, Peter Boys, Nigel Harrison, Grant Keir, Bill Olver, Andrew Ashe, Ian Weatherhill;
Fourth Row: Anton Clifford, Chris Laughton, Mark Coleman, Mike Pearce, Robin Wilson, Jo Bryant, Dave Hodges, Gareth Balle;
Fifth row: Bob Crawshaw, Ken Brown, Andrew Godfrey, John Trappes-Lomax, Peter Brotherton, Ann Lawson, Chris Steane, Andrew Fort, Dan Phelan;
Bottom row: Iain Harris, Oliver Stones, Ben Sweeney, Ian McKay, Keith Worker, Francis Howes, Simon Chevill, Philip Naylor.

I thank you.

FINAL PARAGRAPH REMOVED BY MODERATORS. INAPPROPRIATE COMMENT !
GribblyGrobblies
2nd Former

Post by GribblyGrobblies »

Summer 1978. Sensible house photo and daft house photo. The original prints were very low-contrast so I've tweaked them darker and now they just look ancient instead.

At back (left to right) Robin Clarke, 'Joe' Mercer, Andrew Loring, Iain McAra, Tim Laughton, Mike Scott, Aidan Salter, Mark Bryant

2nd row Charlie Parker, Gerry Meakin, Bill Clarkson-Webb, Melvyn Batt, Andrew Cooper, Colin Parker, Adrian Chilvers, Stephen Maxwell, Neil Black

3rd row Paul Smith, John Adams, Alan Baber, Justin Sturdy, Ben Sweeney, Iain Harris, Simon Chevill, Peter Larking, Ian McKay, Dave Price, Rhodri Britton, James Preston

4th row Simon Oecken, Keith Worker, Neil Simms, Peter Brotherton, John Trappes-Lomax, Mark Lindsay-Bayley, Oliver Stones

5th row James Maxwell, Nick Mainwaring, Nick Cullen, James Keeley, Simon Horne, Chris Mitchell, Edward Sturdy, Kevin Parker, Trevor Bridgman.

In the silly photo, note the magnificently surly Melvyn Batt in second row, resolutely refusing to join in with the spirit of the thing. He had just been forcibly transferred from Middleton B to Coleridge A in the vain hope that the experience would prove character-moulding. It didn't. And why in hell would it when his old chums in Middleton B were just ten steps away across the side asphalt?

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Now I knew Neil Simms (quite well) and Peter Brotherton (less well), but I wouldn't have recognized either of them. And this Trappes-Lomax guy looks just like James Naughtie.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

michael scuffil wrote:Now I knew Neil Simms (quite well) and Peter Brotherton (less well), but I wouldn't have recognized either of them. And this Trappes-Lomax guy looks just like James Naughtie.

I could NEVER expect N.T. (Bogey) Fryer to have allowed such a photo to be taken during his tenure at Coleridge B !!
oofah
2nd Former

Post by oofah »

Carrington was the master who started outside participation in athletics - there had been some main school fixtures against the usual school suspects but he then started a cross country team and we ran in the Sussex cross country and also the London cross country. At about the same time John Page started a tennis team but the first temporary grass courts were laid on the colts rugger pitch so not entirely smooth..... I staggered home second in the school cross country behind Geoff Bostock who was a junior county runner and ahead of Simpson who also had some junior county connection at home. I think we broke the school record and that it stood for some years thereafter! I blotted my copybook when I came back with some friends for the OB's athletics match and drank a lot of beer before the Mile (which I led gloriously before dropping out) and then fell backwards giggling in the sandpit after my long jump. Clarence Seamen came over and suggested it was time my friends and I departed......