Col A photos 1970's

Photos associated with Coleridge house

Moderator: Moderators

bobcrawshaw
2nd Former

Col A photos 1970's

Post by bobcrawshaw »

Just to prove that Ch did still operate during the late 60's/early 70's, there being so little material around:-

Col A summer 1972

I will have a go at the names but it is a bit patchy, top to bottom:-

Phelan, ?, ?, ?, ?, Andy ?, Williamson
?, Midgeley, ?, Bryant, ?, Roberts, ?, Neil ?
?, ?, Broadbridge, ?, Sheffield, Hodges, Fleetcroft, Underwood
Phelan, Swalwell, ?, Rowlands, Fleming, Swinton?, Godfrey, Miller
Kenworthy-Tewson, ?, Olver, Simms, ?, Malone, Barford, Sanderson, ?, Whitworth
Balle, Steane, Brown, Fort, Crawshaw (me), Cornish
Ma.A 1968-1971 Col.A 1971-1975
bobcrawshaw
2nd Former

Re: Col A photos 1970's

Post by bobcrawshaw »

.............continuing on, Col A one year later, Summer 1973

Some of the names have come back to me since the previous one, top to bottom:-
Williamson, ?, Midgeley, ?, Andy ?, Sheffield, ?, Broadbridge, ?, ?
Brown, Fleetcroft, Avent?, Steane, Neil, Phelan, ?, Godfrey
Cox, Laughton, Clifford, Wilson, ?, Crawshaw (me), Cornish, Balle, Fort
?, Roberts, Leask?, Swalwell, Simms, Barford, Malone, Anne Lawson?, Fleming, Rowlands, ?, Miller
Olver, Bryant, ?, McCallum, ?, ?, Ashe, Harrison?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Bryan Hall is next to Jeremy Olver in the 1972 photo.

Slightly unsure but think Sutton is next to Rowlands and Cockrill (? spelling) is next to Fleming.

I'll ruminate some more! AKAP, another poster of the era, may well know a few.

Welcome to the forum by the way Bob. We both attended the Maine A reunion a few years back. I carried the House Standard while you played in the band!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

I've had another look at the 1972 picture.

Phelan is the guy in the glasses next to Swalwell (later a Cambridge Soccer Blue) not extreme left back row.

I think 2nd left back row (next to the phantom Phelan) might well be Bill Oakley and the chap looking down with his arms folded extreme left second row from back could well be Allott. The guy in the glasses next to Bryant is Bradley I think. (2nd row from back).

I'm struggling for anymore although I probably should know the guy next to Sanderson in the row with the housemasters and matron. Could that be Swinton?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
bobcrawshaw
2nd Former

Post by bobcrawshaw »

Mid A 15 wrote:I've had another look at the 1972 picture.

Phelan is the guy in the glasses next to Swalwell (later a Cambridge Soccer Blue) not extreme left back row.

I think 2nd left back row (next to the phantom Phelan) might well be Bill Oakley and the chap looking down with his arms folded extreme left second row from back could well be Allott. The guy in the glasses next to Bryant is Bradley I think. (2nd row from back).

I'm struggling for anymore although I probably should know the guy next to Sanderson in the row with the housemasters and matron. Could that be Swinton?
Actully they are both Phelans, Danny the younger brother is back left, the elder Phelan, whose name escapes me, held the school mile record at the time if I recall correctly. You are right about Bill Oakley.

Andy Bush is 2nd from right back row. Is Alt the unidentified monitor?

There is more ....................
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Tahnks for the photo it does bring back memories. Sean Phelan was the runner and I can confirm Bryan Hall next to Jeremy Olver also Charlie Sutton next to John Rowlands. But that's about it. ( I didn't relaise Nigel Fleming stayed on after 72 and got his buttons)
bobcrawshaw
2nd Former

Post by bobcrawshaw »

Col A 1974:-

Top to bottom, interesting that is is much easier to remember older boys than younger boys, we must have looked up to the older years and ignored the younger ones!:-

?, McCallum, Olver, Harrison, Bryant, ?
Laughton, Clifford, Wilson, Mike ?, Wetherhill? , ?, Ashe
Godfrey, Fort, Brown, Balle, Underwood, Crawshaw, Cornish, Cox
?, Hodges, ?, Phelan, Fleetcroft, Steane, Neil ?, Sheffield, ?
?, Miller, Bush, Simms, Brotherton, Barford, Anne Lawson, Oakley, Broadbridge
Boys, ?, Mitchell, ?, ?, ?, ?, Hyatt
bobcrawshaw
2nd Former

Post by bobcrawshaw »

...............and finally , for me anyway, Col A 1975:-

Back row is a complete blank!
Mitchell, ?, ?, ?, Stuart ?, ?, Hyatt
?, Boys, Harrison, ?, Olver, Ashe, Wetherhill
Clifford, Laughton, ?, Mike ?,Wilson, Bryant, Hodges, Balle
Crawshaw, Brown, Godfrey, Trappes-Lomax, Brotherton, Anne Lawson, Steane, Fort, Phelan
Front row pretty much a blank also, think it might be Howes 3rd from right (second from right the way the picture size has turned out).

Philip Underwood had defected to Mid B as house captain at this point.

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

One thing is certain - the barber was on strike. Some of those locks would make a girl feel in need of a perm :lol:
Oh, and what happened to the right hand sides of each photo?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
bobcrawshaw
2nd Former

Post by bobcrawshaw »

You can see all the photos by zooming out a bit, hold down "Ctrl" then press "-" once or twice. Eventually I will work out how to size the photos properly, I suspect their resolution is too high.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

bobcrawshaw wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:I've had another look at the 1972 picture.

Actully they are both Phelans, Danny the younger brother is back left, the elder Phelan, whose name escapes me, held the school mile record at the time if I recall correctly. You are right about Bill Oakley.

Andy Bush is 2nd from right back row. Is Alt the unidentified monitor?

There is more ....................
I didn't realise there were two Phelans. I only knew Sean, as AKAP has also confirmed, the athlete.

Funny you should mention Alt for the unidentified monitor because his name came to mind instantly when I looked yesterday!

However, for some unknown reason, I had it in my head that he was in Lamb A rather than Col A so didn't mention him!

If you are 100% sure Alt was in Col A then I reckon that is him.

So where is Swinton? Perhaps he was in Lamb A or Lamb B? Any ideas AKAP?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Sorry, the name Swinton has disappeared out of my leaky memory.
I know Sean Phelan was the miler but can you remember who the other miler was. Was it David Clarke from Thornton. I remember some interesting races between the two of them including doing the first three laps at a cracking pace to shake off the opposition and rely on a snail pace to finish the race ( they used to let me run the 400metres for the school athletics team but It think it was only out of sympathy, I could only admire the class of other athletes like Sean and David).
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

AKAP wrote:Sorry, the name Swinton has disappeared out of my leaky memory.
I know Sean Phelan was the miler but can you remember who the other miler was. Was it David Clarke from Thornton. I remember some interesting races between the two of them including doing the first three laps at a cracking pace to shake off the opposition and rely on a snail pace to finish the race ( they used to let me run the 400metres for the school athletics team but It think it was only out of sympathy, I could only admire the class of other athletes like Sean and David).
Yes the other miler was Dave Clark although he was in Mid A with me not Thornton. He and Sean certainly had some exciting scraps (in the running sense!) on the track! I wonder whether they continued with their athletics after CH?

I have vague memories of you running 400 metres. I made the odd appearance for the Athletics team (cricket commitments permitting) long jumping, triple jumping and the 100 relay.

Mr Carrington really did a tremendous job getting a team together, looking back, when you consider that Athletics was never really regarded as a mainstream sport during our time at CH. For example I was categorically told that cricket came first which, as it happened, was my preference but given that fact one imagines that some decent athletes probably never competed for the school.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

'athletics was never really a mainstream activity' - well, at least you had it on offer. It didn't exist at all at Hertford in my time. I was never any good at anything requiring speed or precision, but I have always nursed a secret suspicion that I might have been good with a javelin - I could certainly throw a cricket ball in from the boundary hard and straight. Now we shall never know!!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Mid A 15 wrote: Mr Carrington really did a tremendous job getting a team together, looking back, when you consider that Athletics was never really regarded as a mainstream sport during our time at CH. For example I was categorically told that cricket came first which, as it happened, was my preference but given that fact one imagines that some decent athletes probably never competed for the school.
Up to 1961 as far as I know there was no athletics team nor competition. There was compulsory athletics "standards" where you had to compete in every event and got points for your house by beating certain markers (time for running, height / distance for jumping etc.) There was absolutely no training, advice or responsible supervision etc and my shoulder has finally failed as a result of throwing the shot discus style - yes, I did get the points so Kit was pleased. Another favourite was to put hurdles back-to-front so that they wouldn't come off and you fell into the cinders which then got under the skin and hurt like h*** when you had to start again immediately. Failure to get points was a beatable offence - I won't embarrass them by naming the two in Col A whom I know were so punished for eurovision type scores.
Finally there was the Sports Day when house teams seemed to have been chosen by lot. In Col A athletics was so hated that nobody bothered to compete - you just went out there and jogged round the track as necessary.

There was a sailing team, surprisingly; about 2 matches a summer over near Guildford.

Yes, cricket was THE summer boredom though I think that there might have been a lonely tennis court somewhere if you could get out of compulsory cricket. Apart from that there was prep, Eton Fives, prep, swimming, prep, fishing and prep.