The Duke of Cambridge

Photos associated with Coleridge house

Moderator: Moderators

Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

The Duke of Cambridge

Post by Kit Bartlett »

The recent elevation of Prince William to the Dukedom of Cambridge will recall the previous occupant of that post the 2nd Duke who was President of CH from 1854 to 1904.He had a somewhat chequered domestic life having been married morganatically and also having a mistress. He was a direct descendant of KIng George the Third and a cousin of Queen Victoria I wonder how much of this was known during his presidency by the CH Governors of the time. In more recent times the Prince of Wales (later King Edward the Eighth) was also our Royal President
until his accession to the throne in 1936. I believe that the President has two presentations
to CH in his gift. Is there a list of Old Blues who have enjoyed this through the ages?
Chris Bartlett (CA 1941-47)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: The Duke of Cambridge

Post by englishangel »

I was nominated by the Duke of Gloucester in 1965 but I don't think it meant anything, it wasn't a presentation we just got a letter saying I was the President's nominee and that was it. I think the poor chap was not well by then. he certainly never visited Hertford while I was there.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

I played the 2nd Duke of Cambridge at the Pageant in 1963. He was presented as an unthinking conservative. But his private life suggests otherwise. The children of his morganatic marriage (I believe they were numerous) were not allowed to inherit the title, otherwise presumably it wouldn't have been available last Friday.

(His picture hangs in the Dining Hall, at the East End.)
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

The 2nd Duke of Cambridge married an actress Louisa Fairbrother 8.1.1847. He had three sons
George William Fitzgeorge, b. 1843, Sir Adolphus Augustus Fitzgeorge b. 1846 ( these both out of wedlock) and Sir Augustus Fitzgeorge b, 12.6.1847. Under the terms of the Royal Marriages Act
1772 they were not in the direct line of succession to the British throne.
There is a note in The Blue for the Summer Term 1972 mentioning the death of The Duke of Windsor . This states that he was a Donation Governor in his own right and had presented 14 boys from 1920 onwards. Anthony S.G. Barker Mid. A and Anthony J.H. Holgate Ma. A were
therefore his last presentees. Is anything known of details of any of these others? I wonder if the Duke took any direct interest in them.
Chris Bartlett
pixiemel
2nd Former

Post by pixiemel »

Sorry for the necropost. My former husband, Chris Hansell had a presentation from the Duke of Windsor. So far as I recall he took no interest in him whatsoever! Chris was at CH from 1958 to 1965 ish.