Coleridge House Photos

Photos associated with Coleridge house

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Coleridge House Photos

Post by Mid A 15 »

DavidRawlins wrote:Image
Kit (I assume it is Kit!) looks young in that photo David!

Who was the Chaplain also in the photo?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

Corks, Rev Cochrane, junior housemaster, father Rector of Winchelsea. Corks was head of music, had a fine voice and played the organ. He did not often preach, but his sermons were always welcome. He was not very interested in any other composer but Bach. Once he was asked to sing at a very high church in St Leonards on Sea. When asked to remove his shoes in the sanctuary he refused.
When he left CH he became a Minor Canon at St Paul's for a while.
Later he put on a lot of weight; drink did not help.
Col A 1946-1953
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

Kit (I assume it is Kit!) looks young in that photo David!

It was Kit, he had just come back from the war. He suceeded Blamire Brown in 1946 as Housemaster.
His father was a priest. His brother became Bishop of Norwich.
Col A 1946-1953
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

Kit was born 2nd August 1911, so he was still 35 in the above photo
Col A 1946-1953
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

Followed the album through on Photobucket. In the Dining Hall one the top two facing Col B Grecians are Malim (who was Canadian and had a folding bicycle) and Naylor. In the League team (made up from the best of what was left after the Proscribed List o fthose in the School teams had been taken out) I think that is Rawlins with his ears sticking out in the middle of the back row next to Beare. Middle row, gosh I ought to know them all, ?, ?Noggin Silcock, BWM Palmer who was a great brain and to be forever thanked for passing on to me his A-level Physics notes, ?Horne, Polley who was nuts about buses and trams and in NS ran a tank transporter platoon in Germany and later worked for the Undergound, the late and very much lamented O G (Og) Thomas a linguist. Front row I THINK Robin Young and Peter Bingham.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Re:

Post by huntertitus »

Hi Rory, was that the one who shaved off his eye-brows? (way ahead of his time!)[/quote]

That was an unfortunate episode in my school life, but I didn't do it myself. It was Stephan Kukowski who convinced me it would be a good idea. He is known as a conceptual artist and while at CH undertook a project involving sending out hundreds of postcards. He is mentioned in a book about Conroy Maddox

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Os0K ... ki&f=false
HarrietE
2nd Former

Post by HarrietE »

postwarblue wrote:Followed the album through on Photobucket. In the Dining Hall one the top two facing Col B Grecians are Malim (who was Canadian and had a folding bicycle) and Naylor. In the League team (made up from the best of what was left after the Proscribed List o fthose in the School teams had been taken out) I think that is Rawlins with his ears sticking out in the middle of the back row next to Beare. Middle row, gosh I ought to know them all, ?, ?Noggin Silcock, BWM Palmer who was a great brain and to be forever thanked for passing on to me his A-level Physics notes, ?Horne, Polley who was nuts about buses and trams and in NS ran a tank transporter platoon in Germany and later worked for the Undergound, the late and very much lamented O G (Og) Thomas a linguist. Front row I THINK Robin Young and Peter Bingham.

I chanced upon this forum whilst googling Christs Hospital. My father was Tony Malim mentioned in the post above, and it was lovely to see a photo of him at the school. I didn't know about the folding bike! Sadly he died in 2005. I have in my possession photos of him in uniform, obviously taken at home in Devon. He was born in Canada to English parents and they returned to England in the late 1930's. His sister Jill was at the girls school in Hertford. We have his copy of the Christs Hospital book, his final report and his Grecian belt. He went up to Cambridge and became a classics master, later doing an MA in psychology and writing a number of Psychology textbooks which are still available.
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

This photograph also obviously includes the Coleridge A table. It was taken in the Autumn term of 1947 and includes M.K.D. Gunton, J.P.C, Allen,
I.H.S. Murray .J.S. Whitehead later, Ambassador to Japan, D,R,D, Blakiston, and T.R. Bayley. The gap in the seating was filled normally by yours truly
but for some reason I was not sitting there so must have been involved in serving at the far end of the Dining Hall at the time the photo. was taken.
I wonder who actually performed this task it and whether they had to stand on he dais to do so.
Does anyone know whether the position or order of House table seating was ever altered or had this remained in being from time immemorial.
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

When I arrived in 54 seating was in seniority order from the entrance, with a couple of monitors at the very far end. Somewhere in the late 50s it changed to seniors at both ends and the most junior in the middle. More important to me was that the distribution of second helpings changed from seniors first to a rotation system, just as I was starting to benefit from the old system. It soured me on politically correct changes for a long time!
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

LongGone wrote:When I arrived in 54 seating was in seniority order from the entrance, with a couple of monitors at the very far end. Somewhere in the late 50s it changed to seniors at both ends and the most junior in the middle. More important to me was that the distribution of second helpings changed from seniors first to a rotation system, just as I was starting to benefit from the old system. It soured me on politically correct changes for a long time!
That must have been Col B; Col A had the "original" system you describe until at least July 1961. Yes; there were 4 monitors at the kitchen end
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

sejintenej wrote: That must have been Col B; Col A had the "original" system you describe until at least July 1961. Yes; there were 4 monitors at the kitchen end
Actually MaA. One thing that keeps surprising me is how different the houses were. While I was there I assumed that everyone did things the same way, but this forum has made it clear that each house had a distinct personality.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

My original entry regarding the order of seating in the Dining Hall intended to enquire when it was decided that Coleridge B was to be the House nearest the dais and then following through the West end of the Avenue to Peele A and then the East end from Lamb A to the Preparatory School as it was. This was how it was when I arrived in 1941 and I wonder had it remained unchanged since 1902.
Now of course separate tables have been there for many years. When were these introduced by the way ?
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

Further reflection on the order of seating by Houses in the Dining Hall reveals the obvious logical reason for this is that Coleridge B would be the first House to march into the Hall from the Western end of the Avenue and Lamb A from the Eastern end.
I assume that this would have remained unchanged from 1902 until whenever the individual table seating arrangements were introduced.
Marching was always done for all meals and I believe for compulsory Chapel services.
Apart from the Midday meal is this still the practice ?
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

The tables were changed at some time between 1963 and 1971; the Prep were moved into the Court Room.

Marching to chapel was abolished in 1956 (a Seaman thing).

ThB had three monitors 'down bottom' plus the trades monitor. It was a standard punishment for misbehaviour in the dining hall to be put 'down bottom' for a number of days. This meant you sat next to the 'down bottom' monitors, and you were 'on silence' and not allowed seconds.
Th.B. 27 1955-63