ThorntonB 1962

Photos associated with Thornton house

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

ThorntonB 1962

Post by michael scuffil »

The Chinese person in the monitors' row is Brian Chao, a visitor from Sarawak under the auspices of Gordon van Praagh, and now (I'm told) one of the richest people in the world. Also on this pic are David Norgrove, future SG, future secretary to Mrs T, and future head of M & S. And Nick Chisholm, who became Headmaster of the Yehudi Menuhin school.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: ThorntonB 1962

Post by Katharine »

I think my brother left the previous year at least I can't find him! Interesting the Sarawak connection we kept on running into proteges of Gordon Van Praagh, I don't remember hearing about your one though!
Do you know whether David Norgrove had a sister, Jane, in 6s, one of our champion sprinters. (Come to think of it, you didn't know of my existence so you probably wouldn't know the answer!)
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Sorry Katharine, I don't know whether David Norgrove had a sister at Hertford. He incidentally is fourth from the right in the middle row, in case you detect any resemblance.

There's another photo coming which does have your brother on it.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
andrewcottingham
2nd Former

Post by andrewcottingham »

Interesting photo for me as I joined ThB in 1963 and my brother being there since 1961. I presume the house master in the picture was Patrick Cullen?
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

I should recognise more, but all I can remember are Norgrove, and Sanderson, as they were in most of my classes up to GE, Paddy, as he was Junior Housemaster in Ba B before going to Thornton, and another on the LH end of Norgrove's row, who I think , played French Horn.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

The horn-player's name was Waters.

For the record:

Fawcett McIntosh Knee Appleby Bates Pine Jacquarello Brazier
Macpherson Lidington Swift Scuffil Bates Follis Hildrew Hale Chapman Carter Johnstone
Waters Lidington Edmonds Richards Rees Nieman Sanderson Heath Norgrove Taylor Allingham Edmonds
Payne Parry me Cousins Mr Austin Jones, Mr Fry, Mr Cullen, Miss Dalziel, Pitcher Scott Chao
Baker ? Cottingham Chisholm Allen Butler O'Ryan-Roeder Bateson ?
Th.B. 27 1955-63
martinthb2
2nd Former

Post by martinthb2 »

I've just come across this photo and can fill in missing names. Third row from the front, third from left is Russell Hafter (not Edmonds) - next to me (Martin Richards). Front row question marks - second left Hawkett and right Coverley. A few I would have struggled to remember.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Thanks for that. I should have remembered Hawkett and Coverley. They starred in a junior play I produced.
Th.B. 27 1955-63