Peele B St Matthews Day 1969 - I think

Photos associated with Peele house

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Euterpe13 wrote:Only went once, in UVI - and caused quite a furor amongst the boys, I might say, because of my hair...
What about your hair?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Great Plum wrote:
Euterpe13 wrote:Only went once, in UVI - and caused quite a furor amongst the boys, I might say, because of my hair...
What about your hair?
Hertford girls of the DR era, and boys of the same really, will know that hair had to be off the collar - either cut or tied back for juniors, with the option of "putting it up" for seniors.
DR had a pre-St. Matt's hair inspection of the UVI, and we had to do our hair as we would wear it on the day. At the time I had below-shoulder length thick shiny hair, and I had put it into a bun. DR looked me and said " what does it look like down ?" So I went back to house, and brushed said hair out into a long bob ( known as an Isadora in the day).
Back to the Hall and verdict " yes, that looks nice, wear it like that to London".
Stupeur amongst the rest of the UVI ( particularly as some of them had ultra short hair tied back into paintbrushes), compounded when she had me moved to the front of our section, so that I was third in line to meet the Lord Mayor, after the Head Girl and Dep. There was a photo of me in the local rag, receiving my guinea whilst DR smirked in the background.

My bro' was in the Band, so at the Mansion House, and I was allowed during tea to break segregation and scoot over to the boys' side to say hello to him. Apparently everyone then asked him how on earth I got away with my hair half-way down my back - they all knew DR's attempts to make us all look as if we were in service...

Had to be the only time in 7 years that she actually saw me as an asset to the school...

B.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I am off to my folks tonight and will go through Mum's photos to try and find one of me the following year, also with an Isadora (done at the vidal Sassoon Hairdressing school in Knightsbridge.)
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Crippen
3rd Former

Re: Peele B St Matthews Day 1969 - I think

Post by Crippen »

Here's my photo of St. Matthew's Day 1977. Uncannily like the first photo in this post I think you'll agree. Notice the smiling presence of Mr. Webb, who I always thought looked strangely like Prince Charles:

Perry Kitchen
2nd Former

Post by Perry Kitchen »

I know I know, this was posted a couple of years ago so maybe the moment has passed, but for the record the photo is of Peele A. Clearly visible are Roger Creagh-Osborne (far left, with shoulder plate), Mike Trubridge, Laurence Wyatt, John Calton, Paul Koronka, Chris Cordingly, Sefton Bloxham...yes you're right I should spend work days more productively
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Perry Kitchen!

Yours was a name famed at Hertford. The year below me - Alex Thrift, Catherine Ennis, and even Siobhan Kierans (the year below them) had gained exceptional kudos in an association with cool Housey boys.

How I envied them! I was the year above, and solitary as the only UV1 in 6's. "Perry Kitchen" - what with the jargon and in-jokes connected with these underground connections with mysterious Horsham - oh!

*sighs*
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
gingerbeard
3rd Former

Post by gingerbeard »

Hey Perry

To be pedantic it's actually Peele... both A and B; you should spot George Matcham, Keith Holmes, Andrew Sainsbury, Colin Roy and me just behind Peele A, and there is a Thornton presence as well just behind us! so... :twisted:
Eruresto
Grecian

Re:

Post by Eruresto »

J.R. wrote:
John Knight wrote:Looking at the photograph...
Is there signs of 'the broadie buckle at the back' disease in 1969?
(forgive me for bringing up an old topic... I can't help it. New Headmaster - please get 'em to wear the uniform correctly)
John.
I quite agree John :!:
Amen to that! There was a small resistance movement about two years ago (by small, I mean 4 of us) Sadly I am the only remaining one - back buckles have now ceased to be an expression of individuality so much as "the way it is". Sad times.
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
Perry Kitchen
2nd Former

Post by Perry Kitchen »

That photo of 1977, and talking of hair - I've realised the lad next to Pete Webb is me. Thus did recent Old Blues then make their contribution to the fashion disaster that was the 1970s. Dear oh dear...
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

Also in the Peele B group:

Keith Shepard, Ian Hawker, Michael Joy, Roger Allam, Steven Kendall and Richard Wickison - plus other familiar faces but names elude me.

Is that Simon White behind Paul Koronka?

I think this is September 1968.

The location is Newgate St. in front of Greyfriars/CH London site commemorated with plaques on building which is reflected in the windows of the Midland Bank.
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

Matcham with the shoulder badge between Koronka and White - and Colin Roy on the outside of Michael Joy.
rockfreak
Grecian

Re: Mine is one of them!

Post by rockfreak »

gingerbeard wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:39 pm I was one of those that was distracted! Cannot remember why, possibly a micro mini, knowing me, certainly a distraction of that ilk!

Micro minis were certainly a distraction in those days. At the height of Swinging London, Michael Caine recalled taking his elderly Jewish mother down the Kings Road to show her the sights. They got all the way down the road and she didn't say anything. Then right at the end he said: "Well mum, what do you think?" She pursed her lips and replied: "If it's not for sale you shouldn't put it in the shop window."
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

rockfreak wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:56 pm
gingerbeard wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:39 pm I was one of those that was distracted! Cannot remember why, possibly a micro mini, knowing me, certainly a distraction of that ilk!

Micro minis were certainly a distraction in those days. At the height of Swinging London, Michael Caine recalled taking his elderly Jewish mother down the Kings Road to show her the sights. They got all the way down the road and she didn't say anything. Then right at the end he said: "Well mum, what do you think?" She pursed her lips and replied: "If it's not for sale you shouldn't put it in the shop window."
Pretty sure Michael Caine isn't Jewish-what gave you that impression...?
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

Pe.A wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:47 am Pretty sure Michael Caine isn't Jewish-what gave you that impression...?
Indeed. Apparently an absolute invention.

"Caine has his own ideas of whether there is actually “anybody there”. “I’d dearly love to think that there is somebody there,” he explains. “And I
have a lot of back-up, because my father was a Catholic, my mother was a Protestant, I was educated by Jews, and now I’m married to a Muslim, so
I won't lose out on a technicality!”"

Source: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle ... ut-2103144
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

Otter wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:57 am
Pe.A wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:47 am Pretty sure Michael Caine isn't Jewish-what gave you that impression...?
Indeed. Apparently an absolute invention.

"Caine has his own ideas of whether there is actually “anybody there”. “I’d dearly love to think that there is somebody there,” he explains. “And I
have a lot of back-up, because my father was a Catholic, my mother was a Protestant, I was educated by Jews, and now I’m married to a Muslim, so
I won't lose out on a technicality!”"

Source: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle ... ut-2103144
True - just because teh name Micklewhite contains teh word white, doesn't mean it's Jewish