Peele A Summer 2006

Photos associated with Peele house

Moderator: Moderators

Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Re: Peele A Summer 2006

Post by Fjgrogan »

I seem to remember that when the girls moved to Horsham for the first few weeks they wore smart short jackets and lacy jabots, which looked good and were complementary to the boys' uniform without being a copy of it. The girls themselves very quickly decided that they wanted housey coats and bands like the boys - so much more warm and practical. From my own days at Hertford I remember feeling permanently dowdy, because our uniform was always out-of-date but not sufficiently so to be traditional. Even as dresses etc were replaced and updated they never really caught up with current fashions. Very few of our non-CH contemporaries had ever seen lisle stockings, let alone have to wear them and darn them! It was one of the penalties of being thrifty - many of us were wearing school-provided clothing that had been passed down for decades, at least. I think even shoes were sometimes hand-me-downs! It was good to see that when the girls demanded housey coats they were listened-to!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Yes, that must have seemed wonderful after all those hand-me-downs at Hertford! But I still cant see how that rather bulky -looking Housey uniform is PRACTICAL, and preferable in summer to a cool cotton dress, or simple skirt and short -sleeved shirt with a cardigan/jumper and a blazer for cooler days. The boys could have a similarly easy uniform, brought up to date . Who on earth wants to be fiddling with that heavy uniform these days?! Just keep the traditional uniform for formal occasions and maybe cold winter days.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

fra828 wrote: But I still cant see how that rather bulky -looking Housey uniform is PRACTICAL, and preferable in summer to a cool cotton dress, or simple skirt and short -sleeved shirt with a cardigan/jumper and a blazer for cooler days. The boys could have a similarly easy uniform, brought up to date . Who on earth wants to be fiddling with that heavy uniform these days?! Just keep the traditional uniform for formal occasions and maybe cold winter days.
I don't think the boys would be all that pleased having to wear a cool cotton dress or a simple skirt...! :lol:
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

I don't think the boys would be all that pleased having to wear a cool cotton dress or a simple skirt...! :lol:[/quote]

Oh dear- didn't word it very well did I :lol: ?!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NOPE !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Wuppertal
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Wuppertal »

Michael Scuffil makes a good point about pupils needing to realise that life is full of little inconveniences, but forcing someone to wear a thick heavy uniform in 30 degrees all day long, when they have the choice to wear a tidy-enough half-housey, will not teach them anything, will lower their work performance, and it is plain spiteful and pointless. Yes they need to learn life is not always easy, but there is absolutely no need to force an inconvenience on somebody just for the hell of it when there is a perfectly convenient and sensible alternative. I agree that it should definitely have been worn for the photo though, as it is a formal occasion and only lasts a few minutes anyway.

But in "real life", if it is too hot, you take your jumper/suit off and wear just a shirt. So it should be no difference at CH or any school. Making someone wear a huge heavy uniform in great heat will teach them nothing about the inconveniences of life.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

I never said all day long, I said for 20 minutes while the photo was taken.

Even in days of old when dinosaurs roamed the world and teds wore drainpipe trousers, we never wore FHD all day long.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Wuppertal wrote:Michael Scuffil makes a good point about pupils needing to realise that life is full of little inconveniences, but forcing someone to wear a thick heavy uniform in 30 degrees all day long, when they have the choice to wear a tidy-enough half-housey, will not teach them anything, will lower their work performance, and it is plain spiteful and pointless. Yes they need to learn life is not always easy, but there is absolutely no need to force an inconvenience on somebody just for the hell of it when there is a perfectly convenient and sensible alternative. I agree that it should definitely have been worn for the photo though, as it is a formal occasion and only lasts a few minutes anyway.

But in "real life", if it is too hot, you take your jumper/suit off and wear just a shirt. So it should be no difference at CH or any school. Making someone wear a huge heavy uniform in great heat will teach them nothing about the inconveniences of life.

Totally agree with this-very well worded!