Peele A Summer 2006

Photos associated with Peele house

Moderator: Moderators

Eruresto
Grecian

Peele A Summer 2006

Post by Eruresto »

Had this knocking about for ages - finally thought to upload it!
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Peele A Summer 2006

Post by J.R. »

Why not FULL school uniform, Josh ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

My posting about snowballing in the Avenue (see General Chat CH -- Snow) was not of course meant seriously, but this sloppy affair does cause me genuine concern.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I'm afraid that's the difference between 'Then' and 'Now', Michael.

Times change, and all that !
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

J.R. wrote:Why not FULL school uniform, Josh ?
I was wondering that - too much white in the picture!
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I had much the same thought yesterday when watching the videotape I made of the Fiona Bruce 'Who Do You Think You Are?' programme - at one point a child ran across in front of the camera clad in shirt and breeches, and both Maria and I said 'That would not have been broadcast in our day!'. You know you are getting old when your 40 year -old daughter is also getting old-fashioned!!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Fjgrogan wrote:You know you are getting old when your 40 year -old daughter is also getting old-fashioned!!
Equally, you know you are getting old when you agree with your mother! :lol: :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

There was a very hot spell in Summer 2006, maybe too hot to wear full uniform.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

fra828 wrote:

1959 was also a very hot summer. We wore "cricket clothes" (blazer and flannels) for almost the whole term, including for morning school, which was very unusual. But for the house photo, we changed into FHD. After all, it only takes about 20 minutes, and the result is supposed to last for as long as people might be interested, maybe 100s of years.

On p.14 of the School Rules, there was a very liberal provision: "For asphalt games before dinner, blazers need not be worn."
(That doesn't mean that blazers had to be worn after dinner; after dinner, you had to change into games clothes for asphalt games.)
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Wuppertal
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Wuppertal »

Quite frankly I think people finally used their common sense and realised it was a tad OTT to make kids wear full-length thick black housey coats in 20-30 degrees.

I started in 1998 and it was perfectly allowed to wear half-housey in warm weather then, I didn't realise this hadn't always been the case.

Must admit to being a bit surprised it was used for a house photo though - I remember that always being one of the occasions where full-housey was compulsory, even in hot weather.

Going back to my first sentence, I know the tradition is important and all that, but it is simply plain mean to force someone to wear such a thick garment in the summer, and the half-housey can be worn perfectly tidily.
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

In the 80s....Shirt sleeve order was granted by the Senior Grecian in the summer term and this meant that the Housey coat was discarded and just shirt sleeves were order of the day.

Unfortunately this led to pupils being a little more scruffy as the bands were not attached properly and socks were always down.

A headache for staff at the time to tell pupils to dress properly.
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

michael scuffil wrote:
fra828 wrote:

1959 was also a very hot summer. We wore "cricket clothes" (blazer and flannels) for almost the whole term, including for morning school, which was very unusual. But for the house photo, we changed into FHD. After all, it only takes about 20 minutes, and the result is supposed to last for as long as people might be interested, maybe 100s of years.

On p.14 of the School Rules, there was a very liberal provision: "For asphalt games before dinner, blazers need not be worn."
(That doesn't mean that blazers had to be worn after dinner; after dinner, you had to change into games clothes for asphalt games.)
I remember that ! Thanks for the reminder !
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Wuppertal wrote:Quite frankly I think people finally used their common sense and realised it was a tad OTT to make kids wear full-length thick black housey coats in 20-30 degrees.

I started in 1998 and it was perfectly allowed to wear half-housey in warm weather then, I didn't realise this hadn't always been the case.

Must admit to being a bit surprised it was used for a house photo though - I remember that always being one of the occasions where full-housey was compulsory, even in hot weather.

Going back to my first sentence, I know the tradition is important and all that, but it is simply plain mean to force someone to wear such a thick garment in the summer, and the half-housey can be worn perfectly tidily.
Agree with this! Trousers, skirts, and coats (long ones at that) made of wool mix must be unbearably hot in summer. Plus those thick yellow socks! At least at Hertford, the summer dresses were cool cotton; light and practical for warm days, and they looked quite smart with blazers, as shown in some of the Hertford photos on this forum. What do the girls wear in the Summer now?
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

People don't (usually) wear beach clothes at funerals, or even at weddings, even if it's hot. They wear clothes appropriate to the occasion. And the only clothes appropriate to this sort of photograph is the full uniform. The other arguments don't wash. Presumably the kids weren't wearing this before/after the photo. They had to change into it. For the 20 minutes it took, they could have put up with their coats even at 40°. If not, they've got a lot to learn about life. But that's what school's for, to teach them. Not least, that minor discomforts frequently, and major miscomforts (not infrequently) are part of it.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

michael scuffil wrote:People don't (usually) wear beach clothes at funerals, or even at weddings, even if it's hot. They wear clothes appropriate to the occasion. And the only clothes appropriate to this sort of photograph is the full uniform. The other arguments don't wash. Presumably the kids weren't wearing this before/after the photo. They had to change into it. For the 20 minutes it took, they could have put up with their coats even at 40°. If not, they've got a lot to learn about life. But that's what school's for, to teach them. Not least, that minor discomforts frequently, and major miscomforts (not infrequently) are part of it.
Agreed- full uniform is appropriate for this kind of photo and other formal occasions, but why make them wear even those thick yellow socks , as part of everyday uniform , in the summer? The heavy uniform is outdated anyway and should be modernised. I realise I will be in a very small minority with this opinion. But apart from cold winter days, when I admit , it must be comfortingly warm, it looks SO cumbersome. How can anyone concentrate on work when they have got all that 'clutter' round their necks! ? It DOES look smart in photos etc but not practical in this day and age especially, and above all NOT comfortable for the pupils. I say: just keep the traditional uniform for formal occasions and photos. I am talking about this day and age, because no-one would go about in a hot suit in the summer (except, for the formal occasions Michael Scuffil mentions) , even then they would probably be made of light fabrics these days. Apart from anything else, the staff will be dressed in appropriate summer clothes, so WHY should pupils be made to wear this ? How do THEY feel about wearing it? From the vast majority of reports, CH gives an outstanding 21st century education, give it a 21st century uniform to match! :)