Munch's colour slides!

Photos from Hertford

Moderator: Moderators

midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

When did the layout change in the cloakroon? In the 40s/50s the handbasins were in the middle of the room, back to back, with the shoe-cleaning cupboard at the end of the row.

Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

In 6s the basins were as you described, Maggie - but we cleaned our shoes in the cellar, in the first room at the bottom of the stairs.

Perhaps things changed in 1s when it became a Junior House - did they have lower basins? I can't remember ever being in 1s or 5s cloakroom.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Identified

Post by englishangel »

Angela Woodford wrote:Hi Barbara -

Picture no 7 is left to right me, back of Elaine Woods' head, Mary Pemberton, Julia Sibary.

Goodness, how I wish that my picture labelling skills had been more efficient!

Love

Munch
I last saw her about 10 years ago and she hadn't changed a bit. Except her hair was long and blonde and she wears contact lenses.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Katharine wrote:In 6s the basins were as you described, Maggie .

I remember them being in a line against the wall, beneath the window.

Looking in from the corridor: sinks ahead, door to loos and outside to right, coathooks and shoe racks to left, drying racks strung overhead.

xx
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Cloakroom Layout

Post by Angela Woodford »

A wooden bench ran round under the pegs with the shoes rack underneath. Chapel cap hung on an upper peg. There was a table in the middle, on which the milk tin + metal ladle, mugs, bread, marge and jam was put for break at 11.20.

On each side was a wooden framed mirror. There'd be much jostling in front of these mirrors with brush and comb bags before prayers at 07.20 - those with ponytails and bunches scrabbling for rubber bands and hair grips. Under the right-hand-side mirror a rack for anyones' own hockey stick or tennis racket. Somewhere there must have been a scratchy roller towel, but I can't think where it was! Back of the door to the outside?

Tennis rackets then had a chunky wooden press to preserve them! Where did we put swimming costumes whilst still damp? Possibly draped in the rack outside the loos? There was a mangle outside the swimming pool, which saved you dripping all the way back to House.

I think the plumbing must have been readjusted since Maggie's recall of the cloakroom layout. I believe that every house was identical?

Oddly enough every House had a different smell!

Love, Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

2's was as described by Caroline and Angela, but reversed because we were the other side of the square. I think the roller towel was in the middle above the sinks between the two windows. We also cleaned our shoes in the basement.

I think we put our swimming cossies in the laundry room. Hockey boots/sticks were on a rack opposite the loo doors. but I can't remember where we put tennis racquets, probably in the same place.
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Munch's Slides

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Hi Munch,

Thankyou so much for your Dad's slides which I have just seen today.

They are so evocative ........ far more relevant (though no criticism intended ) than the rather strange little display (which is all that remains of our schooldays) in the Housey Museum.

Everything came FLOODING back as I perused them.....so much I had forgotten.

Here are some vague titles/or things that came into my head as I looked at them.

1. Munch (aka Angela Marsh )

2. Millie with Munch's Mum (note the odd stripey kangaroo type creature on the wall behind).
It looks like the entrance to One's Dayroom.
I notice that the brass light fittings (that we called "bluebells" ) are well polished.

3.Miss DR West ,looking rather elegant ,with our esteemed Treasurer Sir Barnes Wallis. Not quite sure who is getting into the Official Car ..... Lord Mayor ?

4. Munch on the right.Her Mum in the middle and is that Catherine Ennis on the left ??

5. Munch with "Teddy" and big sister ( I presume....she looks like you Munch ........ pity there isn't one of your brother Malcolm )

6. The Pottery room in the Art School. Many a happy hour spent there even though I wasn't the slightest bit artistic. DR insisted we all studied art(even if we weren't taking exams) right up to the sixth form.I honestly thank her for that.We were so lucky to have potting wheels (electric even ) and a kiln! The statue called "girlhood", now apparently in the Court Room at Housey, used to live perilously close to the pottery room and we used to pelt the soulless creature with wet clay.

7.The Cloakroom in Ones.Chapel Caps Hanging up behind.

8.Munch clutching her "schoolbag" ( standard CH issue,to carry our schoolbooks around in ). The red-headed twins Rosemarie and Faith .

9.Sir Barnes Wallis, Miss West and who is the VIP between them ?? They are outside the School Hall ( paid for by benefactor Sir Harry Vanderpant).The Bursar's House is on the right and the Monitress's flat was above.

10. The dining Hall with flowers for a special occasion ( Speech Day ?).

11.Munch and her Dad on the Hertford "Meads" with a Tributary (canalised I think) of the River Lea behind.

We used to go for long "crocodile" walks on the Meads.The area was very beautiful although the whiff of the Brewery ,which pervaded Hertford Town, could be a little overpowering.

12.Munch in class with Judith Furnival behind and Damaris Gwilliam on the left.

13.The front gates from the inside of the school,showing the listed buildings on the right which must still be there (staff housing /clothes store and a couple of small classrooms).These buildings ( I think) were in use when the younger boys were at Hertford.
The "White House" ,where some staff lived, can be seen opposite.

14.The Dining Hall again with Monitress in a blue Mon's skirt.

15. Josephine Maude,Alison Stilliard and Munch outside Sixes in 1965 before the summer Hols.Munch is wearing a school raincoat and they are wearing their "best" (Sunday and special days) uniform.It was cold and rainy because they are wearing pullovers.

Like everything else in the school,uniform, in it's varied manifestations, was worn by "decree".According to weather or occasion.

16.Official Car.

17.The Headmistress's House

18.The Bridge Over the River Lea.
Munch with her Mum (Long Sat.?) wearing everyday summer uniform and Panama Hat.

19 and 20. omigod ! It's the "Display of Work" (needlework ,that is). The tradition of the girls doing needlework (saluting the memory of when the girls used to sew the boys uniforms!) was taken EXTREMELY seriously.This was a very important occasion which coincided with Speech Day.

Looking at the photos bring the HORROR of the needlework mistress,Miss Richard's (oops....I mean "she who must not be named"),reign of terror vividly to my senses.
Nobody can imagine the despair of sitting in the toilets all night until daybreak desperately trying to finish some gaudy item for the "display of work" and thus avoid Dickie's ire.
These two photos Munch are fantastic . That 1950s-ish display with the quilted yellow dressing gown in the front and the ubiquitous "pyjama cases" pinned up on the board behind.

I may have made some mistakes Munch.I hope you don't mind my attempt
at labelling.Feel free to change anything.Thanks again ! xx

Later edit: I have just found Caroline's (icomefromthelanddownunder )BRILLIANT photo gallery by clicking on her link higher up this thread and your labels are preserved there intact.Funnily,they are not much different to mine :lol:
Last edited by Alexandra Thrift on Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Munch's Slides

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:Later edit: I have just found Caroline's (icomefromthelanddownunder )BRILLIANT photo gallery by clicking on her link higher up this thread and your labels are preserved there intact.Funnily,they are not much different to mine :lol:
'Fraid I can't lay claim - think it was Julian.

I recognised Cathy, Munch's Mum, Ally and Phine, but that was about my lot.

Guessed at it being Munch's sister sitting on the bed with her, but couldn't work out where the photo of Munch and her Mum was taken (bridge over The Lea).

They are great photos :D .

xxx
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Munch's Slides

Post by englishangel »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:Hi Munch,

Thankyou so much for your Dad's slides which I have just seen today.

They are so evocative ........ far more relevant (though no criticism intended ) than the rather strange little display (which is all that remains of our schooldays) in the Housey Museum.

Everything came FLOODING back as I perused them.....so much I had forgotten.

Here are some vague titles/or things that came into my head as I looked at them.

1. Munch (aka Angela Marsh )

2. Millie with Munch's Mum (note the odd stripey kangaroo type creature on the wall behind).
It looks like the entrance to One's Dayroom.
I notice that the brass light fittings (that we called "bluebells" ) are well polished.

3.Miss DR West ,looking rather elegant ,with our esteemed Treasurer Sir Barnes Wallis. Not quite sure who is getting into the Official Car ..... Lord Mayor ?

4. Munch on the right.Her Mum in the middle and is that Catherine Ennis on the left ??

5. Munch with "Teddy" and big sister ( I presume....she looks like you Munch ........ pity there isn't one of your brother Malcolm )

6. The Pottery room in the Art School. Many a happy hour spent there even though I wasn't the slightest bit artistic. DR insisted we all studied art(even if we weren't taking exams) right up to the sixth form.I honestly thank her for that.We were so lucky to have potting wheels (electric even ) and a kiln! The statue called "girlhood", now apparently in the Court Room at Housey, used to live perilously close to the pottery room and we used to pelt the soulless creature with wet clay.

7.The Cloakroom in Ones.Chapel Caps Hanging up behind.

8.Munch clutching her "schoolbag" ( standard CH issue,to carry our schoolbooks around in ). The red-headed twins Rosemarie and Faith . Sibrary.

9.Sir Barnes Wallis, Miss West and who is the VIP between them ?? They are outside the School Hall ( paid for by benefactor Sir Harry Vanderpant).The Bursar's House is on the right and the Monitress's flat was above.

10. The dining Hall with flowers for a special occasion ( Speech Day ?).

11.Munch and her Dad on the Hertford "Meads" with a Tributary (canalised I think) of the River Lea behind.

We used to go for long "crocodile" walks on the Meads.The area was very beautiful although the whiff of the Brewery ,which pervaded Hertford Town, could be a little overpowering.

12.Munch in class with Judith Furnival behind and Damaris Gwilliam on the left.

13.The front gates from the inside of the school,showing the listed buildings on the right which must still be there (staff housing /clothes store and a couple of small classrooms).These buildings ( I think) were in use when the younger boys were at Hertford.
The "White House" ,where some staff lived, can be seen opposite.

14.The Dining Hall again with Monitress in a blue Mon's skirt.

15. Josephine Maude,Alison Stilliard and Munch outside Sixes in 1965 before the summer Hols.Munch is wearing a school raincoat and they are wearing their "best" (Sunday and special days) uniform.It was cold and rainy because they are wearing pullovers.

Like everything else in the school,uniform, in it's varied manifestations, was worn by "decree".According to weather or occasion.

16.Official Car.

17.The Headmistress's House

18.The Bridge Over the River Lea.
Munch with her Mum (Long Sat.?) wearing everyday summer uniform and Panama Hat.

19 and 20. omigod ! It's the "Display of Work" (needlework ,that is). The tradition of the girls doing needlework (saluting the memory of when the girls used to sew the boys uniforms!) was taken EXTREMELY seriously.This was a very important occasion which coincided with Speech Day.

Looking at the photos bring the HORROR of the needlework mistress,Miss Richard's (oops....I mean "she who must not be named"),reign of terror vividly to my senses.
Nobody can imagine the despair of sitting in the toilets all night until daybreak desperately trying to finish some gaudy item for the "display of work" and thus avoid Dickie's ire.
These two photos Munch are fantastic . That 1950s-ish display with the quilted yellow dressing gown in the front and the ubiquitous "pyjama cases" pinned up on the board behind.

I may have made some mistakes Munch.I hope you don't mind my attempt
at labelling.Feel free to change anything.Thanks again ! xx

Later edit: I have just found Caroline's (icomefromthelanddownunder )BRILLIANT photo gallery by clicking on her link higher up this thread and your labels are preserved there intact.Funnily,they are not much different to mine :lol:
These twins were not Rosemary and Faith, I think Munch has said somewhere who they are.

I cannot believe I didn't recognise Damaris (sadly no longer with us) and Judy, both of whom were in 2's. Why Judy is in a classroom with the other 2 I am not sure as she was in our year Alex not the year above. The one person I DID recognise was Cathy Ennis, very pretty, distinctive, and memorable.
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

sorry! wrong twins

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Wrong twins.......quite right Mary....not Rosemarie and Faith Morgan but Imogen and Helen Sylvester.

Though extremely clever, Judy Furnival was young for her year( she had been in a junior house) and stayed down and thus ended up with us.( I think)
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Damaris Gwilliam - best friend of Clare Tattersall - a wonderful dry sense of humour. Damaris no longer with us? No....

My father had been chatting to Judy and Damaris in 1's dayroom, and asked if we'd come over to 111' classroom to have a picture taken. In the doorway, you can also see Glynis Knight and Janessa Fletcher from 5's.

In the Millie shot, the odd kangaroo on the wall was painted by Imogen Sylvester. The twins were amazingly good artists, and our first attempt in Art was to produce an aboriginal-style animal. Imogen's kangaroo was so excellent that Millie agreed to hang it in the Dayroom!

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I stayed with Damaris in the summer hols at the end of my first year, she was lovely.
MaryB
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Munch's colour slides!

Post by MaryB »

I can't get the link to work. Is it salvageable,does anyone know?
Mary Bowden (Gaskell)
5.10, 3.6: 64-71
lonely_wolf
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by lonely_wolf »

MaryB wrote:I can't get the link to work. Is it salvageable,does anyone know?
I noticed this today too. It looks to me like the images may have been hosted directly on the forum computer, rather than Photobucket, so perhaps they got lost when the hosting was changed last year. I've PIMd Angela suggesting she maybe contact jtaylor for advice, or if she still has the images on her computer she could post them on Photobucket and change her post to link to there.
3s visitor 1975
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I'm really not sure how the photo links broke, but I've now fixed it - so you should be able to see the photos again on page 1.

Cheers,

Julian
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.