Management knowledge of the Husband/Dobbie cases

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Avon
Deputy Grecian

Re: Management knowledge of the Husband/Dobbie cases

Post by Avon »

AMP wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:03 pm I believe the school has petitioned to be included
I wonder if it would care to verify that fact?
ZeroDeConduite
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by ZeroDeConduite »

Copied from where it is buried in another long thread in the CH General Chat forum:
robert totterdell wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:37 pm Hi All

Thank you for your support.

It was a difficult day for me - the address was 35 minutes long and I have no idea how I got through it - I only broke down three times and just for a moment or two.

If you would like to see it then please contact me through my email address [Email removed as obsolete - please contact via Private Message] - I will delete your addresses if so required.

The Address was extremely powerful as well as personal for me. Might have to do this again for IICSA phase 3 - I hope not.

CH itself has petitioned for IICSA to look at them ( as have I but I will be attending and providing evidence regardless ).

In the end I think the 5 of us on our side (one of my team said 'thank god she was on our side' which referred to a non Old Blue who I took along to give an outside perspective, managed to get a lot of info across.

I did receive a formal apology from both Simon Reid the Head and Chris Steene (probably spelt that wrong but I am very tired) the new Treasurer and Chair of the Council. However I tried to stress that all of the victims needed an apology and not just those Sexually abused - this has damaged a lot of lives, some very seriously.

They did point out that they had apologised formerly to all Old Blues who they have on file and via CHOBA.

At the end I felt CH now can not do much more. As Simon pointed out they can ask for some of the abetters to come forward but they will simply tell the school where to go.

At IICSA I can call for certain masters/mistresses (or whatever they call them now) to be made to answer questions so I will follow on this - my Address names them.

I will be concentrating on both MANDATE NOW which is the campaign to get the Government to change the law to make it a Statutory requirement that teachers must report sexual abuse to the police; I will also persue Burr under the Restorative Justice scheme - I just might get some answers as to what was going on; finally it will be IICSA.

I hope that this helps and please do ask if you would like to see the Address - it's only 14 pages long!

There will be an article in The Daily Telegraph soon and I will let you know the date.

Many thanks to all of you - I just hope some more will some forward to try and finally clear the air.

Rob
PrepA 1951-2 Peele A 1953-60
RemedyLaw
3rd Former

Post by RemedyLaw »

Interesting...

It is not listed anywhere on IICSA so the request was not successful I presume?

I think that it should be incorporated as it looks not only at the abuse but the institutional failings, hence surprised CH of their own volition made a request...

I recently made an application to represent a number of core participants for Sherborne Prep after it was successfuly incoporated. Would be happy to do the same for CH if individuals feel that it needs to be included?

I can prepare a request and place some pressure on incorporation if there is support?
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

VerisonaLaw wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:51 am Just a thought...but has there been any discussion as to whether CH ought to be included in the Residential Schools investigation as part of the Independent Inquiry Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA) ?
I emailed IICSA on 13.8.2018 with this very question. Over 3 months later I am yet to receive a response (other than their usual automated reply).
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

RemedyLaw
3rd Former

Post by RemedyLaw »

That is the tranche of IICSA I am currently involved in.

I would be happy to prepare a submission for the inclusion of CH in IICSA, however, may need some assistance with some of the background info to ensure it is as complete as possible.

If there is support for me in doing so, I have no issue at all with pushing for this. I am also happy to represent any who wish to make applications for core-participant status.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

VerisionalLaw - Do you think that CH should be closed down?
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Update. I have now heard from IICSA as per below:

"The Inquiry has recently published an update note on the residential schools investigation. Phase one of this investigation will focus on a selection of specific special and music schools, as well as producing a narrative on eight closed residential schools.

The update note also provides further information on phase two of the investigation. Whilst the Inquiry has not yet confirmed which specific schools will be examined in phase two, it will bear in mind the helpful information you have provided in relation to Christ's Hospital School. Further information on phase two will be published on the Inquiry's website in due course. Our website can be accessed here.

https://www.iicsa.org.uk/key-documents/ ... r-2018.pdf

You are welcome to share your own observations of failings to protect children from sexual abuse during your time at Christ's Hospital by sending these to us in writing and we will make sure they are sent directly to the appropriate investigation team.

Thanks again for contacting the Inquiry."
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

marty wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:55 am Update. I have now heard from IICSA as per below:

You are welcome to share your own observations of failings to protect children from sexual abuse during your time at Christ's Hospital by sending these to us in writing and we will make sure they are sent directly to the appropriate investigation team.

Thanks again for contacting the Inquiry."[/i]
Marty; you would need permission from the individual authors but there is a lot in these threads which might enforce the request that IICSA investigate CH.
I have not been able to post too much in the way of evidence but hereby allow you to copy my appropriate posts to them.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Thanks. I might just point them towards this website and ask them to get privately contact anyone they want to.

I'm assuming that any posts on here are considered to be in the public domain.
RemedyLaw
3rd Former

Post by RemedyLaw »

Has there been any further progress Re IICSA?
alexv
2nd Former

Post by alexv »

Scazza wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:55 pm I think Tim might have been tutor in Peele A for some years whilst Neil Fleming was tutor in Peele B, so it might have been criticism of Fleming that rattled his cage. Tim probably feels almost as let down as we do tbh.

Fleming taught classical civs in the library of Peele b as it was next to his (and Marlenes!) flat. Every lesson he was really late and every time he strolled in to a bully from LH sat on top of me, bashing me (i guess Julian knew the boy well). The Flemings never gave a damn. 'Boys will be boys'. 'Rough and tumble'. Think even I believed that in the end. Just part of life at CH.
I was in Peele at around that time - I don't think that people would believe half the stuff that went on there. Not sure the Flemings should take quite the blame people are dishing out though. Endicott as House master also did a lot to make it a much safer space for students. The whole place was a bit disfunctional, but I wonder if that wasn't a sign of the times. There's a lot of really horrible stuff that's beginning to come out about lots of institutions, and what happened in the 70s, 80s and early 90s. That doesn't make it ok, but it does contextualise it.

As for Dobbie, I was extremely naive at the time and had no idea at all. In retrospect it seems obvious - especially with his close relationship with the Ball brothers etc. It also makes me wonder about one person in my year, who I was at primary school with, who was being 'counselled' by him, went dramatically off the rails, and died in his early 20s. It might have had nothing to do with it at all, but it does make me wonder.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

alexv wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:39 pm
As for Dobbie, I was extremely naive at the time and had no idea at all. In retrospect it seems obvious - especially with his close relationship with the Ball brothers etc. It also makes me wonder about one person in my year, who I was at primary school with, who was being 'counselled' by him, went dramatically off the rails, and died in his early 20s. It might have had nothing to do with it at all, but it does make me wonder.
Hi Alex. I hope you're well. I have fond (but rather hazy memories) of you as a UF monitor during my first year in Peele B. Don't expect you to remember me.

Sorry to hear about your friend. If I'm right that you're implying it was suicide I'd encourage you to inform the police and let them decide if it's relevant or not.
alexv
2nd Former

Post by alexv »

marty wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:50 am Hi Alex. I hope you're well. I have fond (but rather hazy memories) of you as a UF monitor during my first year in Peele B. Don't expect you to remember me.

Sorry to hear about your friend. If I'm right that you're implying it was suicide I'd encourage you to inform the police and let them decide if it's relevant or not.
89/90 was a long time ago! Although did you stay down and go up to Peele A when you were a UF?

Sadly, I don't think that it was that straight forward - but it's a thought.
Peele B/A 1986 - 1993
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

alexv wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:41 pm
marty wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:50 am Hi Alex. I hope you're well. I have fond (but rather hazy memories) of you as a UF monitor during my first year in Peele B. Don't expect you to remember me.

89/90 was a long time ago!

Sadly, I don't think that it was that straight forward - but it's a thought.
Alexv; a long time ago, yes, but such matters are still being investigated and this could simply be another element to show a specific pattern of behaviour.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!