All this is incredibly sad

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: All this is incredibly sad

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

harryh wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:59 pm
CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:14 pm
As I alluded to, I would suggest the Headmaster spends more time in the houses. Only then can he begin to know what is going on.

Take prep, do dorm duty etc

I would have the SMT or another senior group of teachers, randomly visit houses, and see for themselves what the house is like.

I would facilitate an anonomous online feedback mechanism for pupils to report any concerns and issues, such as bullying and other anti social behaviour

I would have annual appraisals of housemasters conducted by the SMT
The houses are visited on a random basis by an SLT member on virtually every night of the week.
Houseparents undergo appraisal on am annual basis.
Grandmother ...eggs?
I'm very glad to hear that, although you didn't address my other suggestions.
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

graham wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:41 pmCairncross visited ThA once, but that was in the middle of the night due to a riot.
Don't recall this, unless it was in '96 - near the end of the year?
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

scrub wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:39 am
graham wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:41 pmCairncross visited ThA once, but that was in the middle of the night due to a riot.
No it was my UF so 93-94. It was instigated by the Grecians and we were all just caught up in the rush of rebelliousness.

For what’s its worth, i really liked SJOB and thought he was a decent man and housemaster.
Graham Slater
Maine B 1990 - 1993, Thorn A 1993 -1997
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I cannot recall CMES EVER visiting Col B, or hearing of him ever entering any house come to that.

I think he was too aloof for that sort of task.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

graham wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:55 am
scrub wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:39 am
No it was my UF so 93-94. It was instigated by the Grecians and we were all just caught up in the rush of rebelliousness.

For what’s its worth, i really liked SJOB and thought he was a decent man and housemaster.
Huh. So during my GE then. From what I remember of that year, from being in ThB as a junior, I'm not massively surprised. Don't recall any specifics though.

SJOB. Liked to set cryptic crosswords in his spare time, or was that some other housemaster?
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

harryh wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:59 pm The houses are visited on a random basis by an SLT member on virtually every night of the week.
Grandmother ...eggs?
I appreciate the clarification but the snarky comment is totally unnecessary. Harry, you left CH recently therefore you have seen the school evolve. The majority of posters on here have no recent experience of CH and their time there was spent under a negligent SMT with some of their contemporaries sexually assaulted by the very adults who were supposed to be caring for them. You really shouln’t roll your eyes at Old Blues for not having current knowledge of the school, given how little information the school share, nor should you be surprised that they don’t have high expectations given their own experiences.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

graham wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:55 am
It was instigated by the Grecians and we were all just caught up in the rush of rebelliousness.
JR may recall exactly when it was when the entire school rebelled silently in chapel against the changes Seaman instituted
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

"JR may recall exactly when it was when the entire school rebelled silently in chapel against the changes Seaman instituted"
Good heaves - what was that about? Do tell,
David :shock:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Foureyes wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:05 am "JR may recall exactly when it was when the entire school rebelled silently in chapel against the changes Seaman instituted"
Good heaves - what was that about? Do tell,
During a pre-chosen hymn apart from the choir everyone remained silent. The organisers reckoned that if the choir was also silent then some might get worried at the total silence and start singing. I don't know who organised it but it worked.
In those days chapel every day was compulsory - non-Christians perhaps not required to be present
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

OK - but that's only half the story! What had caused the protest in the first place, and did it work?
As a matter of interest there have been several active protests/rebellions at various public schools over the centuries. A major outbreak took place at Winchester and was led by an Old Blue, Colborne, who had changed schools at age 12.There was also a demonstration in the Dining Hall at CH when the whole school united in chanting at a master, but although it has been mentioned many times on this forum by people who were obviously present, nobody has ever explained what led up to it.
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

:wine:
DazedandConfused wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:13 am
harryh wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:59 pm The houses are visited on a random basis by an SLT member on virtually every night of the week.
Grandmother ...eggs?
I appreciate the clarification but the snarky comment is totally unnecessary. Harry, you left CH recently therefore you have seen the school evolve. The majority of posters on here have no recent experience of CH and their time there was spent under a negligent SMT with some of their contemporaries sexually assaulted by the very adults who were supposed to be caring for them. You really shouln’t roll your eyes at Old Blues for not having current knowledge of the school, given how little information the school share, nor should you be surprised that they don’t have high expectations given their own experiences.
Apologies if you found the final comment "snarky", but we are all professionals. I have said it many times, but the present day CH has improved beyond measure and could soon be seen as a beacon for modern practice.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I only have a VERY vague recollection of the chapel revolt and I cannot remember the exact reason for it. You must remember that Col B sat nearest and to the left of the altar so were highly conspicuous to the religious 'Powers that Be' !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

harryh wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:23 am :wine:
Grandmother ...eggs?
Apologies if you found the final comment "snarky", but we are all professionals. I have said it many times, but the present day CH has improved beyond measure and could soon be seen as a beacon for modern practice.
Which is great, but OBs have no visibility of this which makes the ‘Grandma... eggs’ comment more than a little unfair. That said, I do appreciate the info that you share as without it I would have no understanding of CH beyond the late 90s.
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

DazedandConfused wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:28 am
harryh wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:23 am :wine:

Which is great, but OBs have no visibility of this which makes the ‘Grandma... eggs’ comment more than a little unfair. That said, I do appreciate the info that you share as without it I would have no understanding of CH beyond the late 90s.
The comment WAS snarky and is also unfair and upsetting. It reinforces the idea that staff are listening but not hearing, a distinction that is very important. You can say that present day CH has improved until you're blue in the face - without details of the measures the school has implemented to ensure that past events don't repeat and the steps they are taking to ensure that all historic abuse is uncovered, most Old Blues are going to be incredibly skeptical. This point has been well trodden on here, but perhaps it needs saying again. For many of us, our fond memories of our experiences at CH have been shattered by the realization that sexual assault and rape of our fellow pupils by teachers was covered up by house-parents and the headmaster. You'll forgive us for not taking your word for it that things are better now.

I think we're all willing to believe that things have changed. We sincerely hope they have. But by simply telling us that they've changed and asking us to believe you, you're trivializing our experiences and concerns.

As a final point, The discussions on this forum are incredibly cathartic, and I hope that will continue. But I think some of the comments sent Howard's way have been unfair, and I hope that we can tone down the rhetoric from both sides.
Graham Slater
Maine B 1990 - 1993, Thorn A 1993 -1997
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

Note to self : never send emails late at night.
Graham, I think you know me well enough to know that I tell it as I see it. I guess it is difficult to convince folk that terrible mistakes made in the past will not be repeated, but I do know the rigour and integrity that is now present at the school.
Your final comment is reassuring. I have been hurt and have at times thought that I have been wasting my time trying to convince those whose upset is so extreme that they have used this forum to denigrate CH at every opportunity. Like you I can see that for SOME this forum has been cathartic, but I have my doubts about the motivations of a few.
Might I recommend that someone contacts the Senior Leadership Team directly or the school's DSL to see if present protocols can be placed in a document in this forum. It will placate some and enlighten others.
Best wishes.