All this is incredibly sad

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

dsmg
UF (Upper Fourth)

All this is incredibly sad

Post by dsmg »

Looking in from afar on what has been going on the last few months with the 5 (?) prison sentences is incredibly sad. What those teachers have done to those poor kids (at least one of whom coincided at the school with me) can never be undone and lives have been wrecked. What is also incredibly sad is that for me, and I expect for thousands of others, the reputation of the school has been dragged through the mud by the actions of a very small number of paedophiles (and perhaps by the inaction of other teachers who were in the know).
In those years, and currently I imagine, there were some excellent teachers who made a positive impact on our lives. I for one have always felt that I was very lucky to have been educated at CH with its incredible setting. My mother was a widow and had three kids and I attended CH for 8 years and she never had to spend a thing as I was sponsored throughout.
I have always considered my time at CH as a happy one although I can see that boarding must have been a trial for some. I think it would be awful if the institution with all its idiosyncracies suffered long-term as the school has undoubtedly done good for so many in its 500 year history and although others may disagree, I feel that it has given opportunities to many that they would otherwise not have had.
Play up Pompey!
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: All this is incredibly sad

Post by Golfer »

Caveat - What I say below is not intended in any way to diminish the seriousness of what has happened.

I agree with your sentiments.

Looking at the recent news at Charterhouse - of groups of male students "debagging" girls on their periods - my gut instinct is that there is probably a mass of unreported sexual abuse by pupils across UK boarding schools and that this may have been even more common than abuse by staff at the same schools. It could be that historic boarding schools would never have been set up with current health and safety regulation. Maybe the Bishop of London would have been dissuaded from delivering that sermon and Edward VI's advisers would have said "Think of your future reputation, Sire."

Personally I found that I became depressed by this site as my overall memories of CH had been happy and positive. I can't pretend to have been a perfect member of staff but I tried hard for the most part and I know that my late wife gave her heart, soul, blood, sweat and tears for the school and its pupils.

For my own peace of mind I have found that a little time away from the site is good for well-being. So if I don't reply to a post for 3 days you know why. I would recommend this approach to anyone who visits regularly and feels low as a result.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Daniel as a football fan (or what passes for football in league 1) you will be aware of the draconian security the vast majority of decent fans are sometimes subject to especially away from home.

It seems in all walks of life that the decent majority has to suffer because of the rogue minority.

Like you I hope that the fundamentally decent ethos of the School can survive the awful events that have occurred along with proper redress for the victims.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
RusticationPhil
2nd Former

Post by RusticationPhil »

It seems to me that it is way more than just a small number of sexual predators at CH. It was an epidemic.

During my time at CH (91 to 96), 3 (subsequently convicted) pedophiles were on the staff (Husband, Dobbie, Karim), another teacher (Jerry Martin) left for having an innappropriate relationship with a student , which while maybe "legal" is clearly a gross abuse of power. Furthermore, Mr McCall was removed after being caught trying to lure a boy up to his flat. Undoubtably there are more. So thats at least 5 cases while I was at CH.

The senior management did their best to cover it all up, and several of these abusers went on to work elsewhere.

CH dont seem to have given a decent statement apologising and admitting that they failed miserably to protect childern during this period. They dont even appear to have compensated the victims. Given that they cant admit their mistakes and apolgise publically, it would be understanble if people thought twice about sending their kids there. I certainly would never send my kids to a place like that.

Personally I think the school should have their charitable status removed. Yes they help out a few people every year, but its a lottery, who gets helped. I think the public would benefit more if the all the taxes CH dodge due to charitable status were used to fund public schools. Personally I would ban these private schools altogether. That would force all the MPs who send curently send their kids to private school to fund state schools properly. Imagine if these parents who spend 30K a year sending there kids to CH, sent their kids to a public school and donated that money to their school. man you could buy musical instruments for the whole school for that!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

RusticationPhil wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:50 pm Personally I would ban these private schools altogether. That would force all the MPs who send curently send their kids to private school to fund state schools properly. Imagine if these parents who spend 30K a year sending there kids to CH, sent their kids to a public school and donated that money to their school. man you could buy musical instruments for the whole school for that!
You forget that there are many who each pay a huge sum for the right to present FOR CONSIDERATION for a ;place a child with who they have no family not financial connection. I and another boy I knew benefitted from such presentations; you would deprive such children?

I don't know about the schools in your area but the headmaster of our local comp stood back and ignored the fact that his pupils were playing chicken with the cars passing the school - one died. Where my son went was almost as bad - semi-communist political indoctrination for maths lessons.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

RusticationPhil wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:50 pm Furthermore, Mr McCall was removed after being caught trying to lure a boy up to his flat.
I have no knowledge at all of that. Are you sure?
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

BTW your ideas on the impact of private schools on the state education system have validity.
bakunin
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by bakunin »

Golfer wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:52 pm
RusticationPhil wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:50 pm Furthermore, Mr McCall was removed after being caught trying to lure a boy up to his flat.
I have no knowledge at all of that. Are you sure?
Yes, this has been discussed extensively in some other threads. There were several witnesses to an announcement to a large group of pupils by a former housemaster who posts here that McCall was getting kicked out for that specific reason.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

But I didn't know. So the majority of staff probably didn't know. How CH.
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

Golfer wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:42 pm But I didn't know. So the majority of staff probably didn't know. How CH.
Just another routine sudden departure...
RusticationPhil
2nd Former

most likely with a glowing reference........
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

Golfer wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:42 pm But I didn't know. So the majority of staff probably didn't know. How CH.
Do you have any recollection of why he left?
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

RusticationPhil wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:50 pm
Personally I would ban these private schools altogether. That would force all the MPs who send curently send their kids to private school to fund state schools properly. Imagine if these parents who spend 30K a year sending there kids to CH, sent their kids to a public school and donated that money to their school. man you could buy musical instruments for the whole school for that!
And what about freedom of choice?

Many parents drive rubbish cars and dont go on expensive holidays so they can privately educate their children

Are we suggesting that parents shouldn't be allowed to buy flash cars and go on expensive holidays?
RusticationPhil
2nd Former

CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:00 pm
Personally I would ban these private schools altogether. That would force all the MPs who send curently send their kids to private school to fund state schools properly. Imagine if these parents who spend 30K a year sending there kids to CH, sent their kids to a public school and donated that money to their school. man you could buy musical instruments for the whole school for that!

Many parents drive rubbish cars and dont go on expensive holidays so they can privately educate their children

Are we suggesting that parents shouldn't be allowed to buy flash cars and go on expensive holidays?
Well in my view a good education is a universal human right, expensive holidays and flash cars are not. Your education should not depend on who your parents happen to be or how much money they have. In my opinion politicians would put more money into state schools if they didnt have the option of sending their kids to a private schools. Certainly, I think CHs charitable status is dubious. CH should have to pay tax.

Besides I am really not convinced that the "better" education provided by private boarding schools, outweights the potential risk of extreme bullying, homesickness and of course elevated risk of abuse. The whole idea of sending an 11 year old kid to live somewhere else seems crazy to me. I think that if you have a smart 11 yr kid, they would probably be better off staying at home and going to a state school, where their parents can get on with their job-parenting.

I am pretty sure that those philanthropists who paid for unrelated kids to go to CH in the early 90s may well be rethinking their decision now! If their cash is burning a hole in their pocket, there are no shortages of good causes out there.
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

RusticationPhil wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:22 pm
CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:00 pm

Well in my view a good education is a universal human right, expensive holidays and flash cars are not. Your education should not depend on who your parents happen to be or how much money they have. ..
Besides I am really not convinced that the "better" education provided by private boarding schools, outweights the potential risk of extreme bullying, homesickness and of course elevated risk of abuse. The whole idea of sending an 11 year old kid to live somewhere else seems crazy to me. I think that if you have a smart 11 yr kid, they would probably be better off staying at home and going to a state school, where their parents can get on with their job-parenting.
Agree it's a human right and shouldn't depend on wealth, wbich is the very ethos of CH , although admit it's been eroded over time due to financial pressures (although some here have argued the position is strong, not an accountant, so cant comment)

Agree completely about the negative impact boarding has on a child's development