We have adopted.........................

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Strange and worrying cat experience!

Post by Angela Woodford »

Ferdinand had had a perfectly happy day!

He'd been out for his evening run, settled nicely on the sofa last thing....

Then, about 03.00 hrs I heard thumping and crashing. The cat was bolting about the house in a state of panic. I ran to find him - found him huddled in a corner of my husband's room - he'd peed a bit on the carpet and was hunkered down, terrified of something!

We tried to reassure him, but couldn't stroke him for a while as it looked as if he might lash out, which is completely uncharacteristic. Then at last he let me soothe him. His eyes were really dilated.

Eventually he came and settled on my bed as usual. I even heard a faint purr. This morning he's only had a mouthful of breakfast and is following me around, miaowing and doing an occasional submissive squirm.

It's just like he's had a panic attack, or a really bad dream. Have any Forum cat-lovers experienced anything like this?
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: We have adopted.........................

Post by J.R. »

Depends in you belief in the supernatural.

We swear that our previous house was haunted/possessed, whatever.

One of our cats would often sit staring just to the right of the fireplace, and would then crouch down in attack mode, ears lowered and hiss before stalking from the room.

Read into that what you will !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

J.R. wrote:Depends in you belief in the supernatural.We swear that our previous house was haunted/possessed, whatever.
JR, that's a really interesting thought! The thing is - this house is only a couple of years old...

It was just awful and weird to see him so agitated. He's such a happy cat!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Sounds as if Ferdinand was spooked by something - if he had been outside, maybe he came across a fox or something like that?
Funnily enough, my cats went mad at about 3.00 a.m. this morning. I was aware of huge caterwauling outside, and my two were racing up and down the stairs, leaping onto windowsills, squawking angrily at whatever was going on outside. It went on for about 10 minutes.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Foxes and cats normally co-exist quite happily.

We often find fox-poo on our patio and our boys can wander out at night at will through the cat-flap.

The fleas can be a pain in the @rse, though. They have been particularly bad this year and we reckon it's the foxes.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

You and I were both having a cat crisis at 0300hrs this morning Kerren!

Perhaps he was frightened by something outside? His tail was fluffed up like a bottle brush!

He jumped into my bed this morning and he's curled into a tight ball. It's not like him to have only one bite of breakfast though.

Many thanks for your kind thoughts, Kerren and JR!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

On a more basic level ------ what did Ferdinand eat (Which he should not have done !) the day before the squirming and discomfort.

The test will be whether or not he repeats the performance.

I discount the Supernatural --- When we lived in an Old Vicarage built in the 18th Century, we had a "Ghost" in one of the upstairs Bedrooms, which would scratch at an outside wall, in the middle of the night. ! :?
Also, footsteps across the gravel drive --- followed by a crash on the window ! :shock:

The first turned out to be Owls in a dis-used chimney
the second was a Squirrel bounding across the drive and attacking his reflection !!!! :lol:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

NEILL's Theory!

Goodness, NEILL, kind of you to join in cat chat! :D

I really don't think it was anything he'd eaten! In that case I'd expect him to lurk, making that "Ulp! Ulp! Ulp!" noise. Oh no! Usually a cat about to be sick will be lurking on a favourite cushion, a duvet, a new carpet or behind the sofa, rather than on an easily wipeable surface...

The squirming position is more of a submissive posture. Have you seen the bit in one of the "Shrek" movies, where the fierce Puss-in-Boots suddenly transforms into a sweet huge eyed pussycat?

He's still asleep with the strain of it all. What did he see/experience? I'm keeping a careful eye on him! :roll:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Did you have an earth tremor?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Very funny Mary!

Or... do you really mean it? :o

This house is built on the side of an old quarry! Or - what's that thing about ley lines? Alarming!

The Panic Puss is now on his master's lap, looking martyred.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

I rescued 2 kittens last November from a dreadful environment (4 year old child kept picking them up from anypart of their body - ie ears, tail, etc and flinging them around and letting go) plus a dog that wanted to eat them, and the carpet (mega cringe here) was black and sticky from never being cleaned.... They told me their names when I got them home - Muffin & Tinto - Tinto then snuck out one night at 6 months and got pregnant ( :roll: ) and had 5 beautiful kittens, who have all been homed lovingly, and both Muffin and Tinto have been neutured! Then Poor Muffin got savaged by a dog about 4 weeks ago, which cost me rather a lot of money - which the PDSA won't help with as I had to have pre-added them to their system & vet in their "area" BEFORE they got hurt..... D'oh - it used to be that you got assistance AFTER the event - not register them BEFORE! So I am now hurting financially by £128! However, Muffin is now happily stitch free and I don't think she will be near a dog again. I have forgotten how to add photo's to show you them! sorry! :oops:
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Angela Woodford wrote:Very funny Mary!

Or... do you really mean it? :o

This house is built on the side of an old quarry! Or - what's that thing about ley lines? Alarming!

The Panic Puss is now on his master's lap, looking martyred.
I was serious actually, well known that animals can sense what humans cannot so you may not even have noticed it at that time of the morning.

I don't think Ley lines have anything to do with earht tremors, but the quarry may do, tho' that wouldn't explain Kerren's puss at the same time.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

It was my cats reacting to something going on outside, which involved several (I would guess) vociferous other cats which must have woken the whole neighbourhood, let alone my household!
Kerren Simmonds
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Perhaps you had an earth tremor too!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Nothing shown on the BGS website, though there was one off Lizard Point at 17.17 on Saturday...
There Mary, even I am now taking you seriously!
Kerren Simmonds