Bad things you didnt get caught doing (Sausage in Communion)

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Bad things you didnt get caught doing (Sausage in Communion)

Post by J.R. »

I used to love Field Day. The good old C.C.F.

The night exercises, usually down at Amberley were great fun too.

I feel a new thread germinating.
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

I am delighted to find out that it wasn't just me but, clearly, I was either not so good at hiding these misdemeaners or Iwas too noisy when doing them as I was the expellee!! :lol: Bizarrely, I too, look back on my time at Hertford with fondness although there were plenty of episodes that made me utterly miserable, somehow I got through. The best part tho' is this forum as there is so much that I had forgotten and so much more that I never knew!!
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

They say schooldays are the best in your life. I remember old buffers giving speeches on the subject while I was at CH. I scoffed at the idea then and I scoff at it now. I too have extremely mixed feelings about school. It gave me so much but like the last post it was sometimes a miserable experience, and sometimes beautiful. I would say the best days in one's life are more likely to be the first year of one's marriage.
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

Ah, yes, Field Day. One in a brickfield somewhere with all the potatoes used up as missiles. Field day stew, everyone bring a can of something and chuck it in (opened before you ask). Pumping a primus to make it go - a thin fountain of fuel shot out an duop and soaked all the bread. Escaped to the RAF section where life was more civilised and had content more intellectual than the lying load on a pile of worm casts.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

postwarblue wrote:Ah, yes, Field Day. One in a brickfield somewhere with all the potatoes used up as missiles. Field day stew, everyone bring a can of something and chuck it in (opened before you ask). Pumping a primus to make it go - a thin fountain of fuel shot out an duop and soaked all the bread. Escaped to the RAF section where life was more civilised and had content more intellectual than the lying load on a pile of worm casts.
In the 'Help for Heroes' cookbook there is a dish somewhat like this, it has hot chocolate and all sorts in it.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I have been following this Topic with amazement ! :shock:

We must have been little (And bigger) Angels, in comparison ! --- A hard-boiled egg, under the Eagle Lectern !
The only exploits I remember, was a chap (Name forgotton !) who pranced across the Altar in Chapel --- Naked !

He got outside to an accomplice who had, ready, a Housey coat, and yellow stockings, he was never caught !

I know that he eventually died --- I believe in the Sicker, a great loss to Society !
I don't suppose anybody on this Forum remembers him ----- we are, of course, getting fewer !!! :lol:
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

postwarblue wrote:Ah, yes, Field Day. One in a brickfield somewhere with all the potatoes used up as missiles. Field day stew, everyone bring a can of something and chuck it in (opened before you ask). Pumping a primus to make it go - a thin fountain of fuel shot out an duop and soaked all the bread. Escaped to the RAF section where life was more civilised and had content more intellectual than the lying load on a pile of worm casts.
Ah yes

The original meal of provided rations and a can of something from each squad member all mixed and cooked together, then: the same (uncleaned) pot used to cook 'desert' of rice pudding and then used again (uncleaned) to make compo tea with bits of the two other courses floating around in the billy can. Gourmet cooking at its best.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

englishangel wrote:In the 'Help for Heroes' cookbook there is a dish somewhat like this, it has hot chocolate and all sorts in it.
The Nimrod MR2 Honkers Stew

2 tins compo stewed steak
1 tin compo sausages
1 large tin compo baked beans
1 large tin compo boiled new potatoes
1 tin compo carrots
1 tin compo pear halves in syrup
sliced white bread
2 tsp medium curry powder
1/2 cup strong black coffee
tomato ketchup
salt and pepper to taste (!!!!)
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I can only assume that "Field Day" was intended to inure Cadets, to possible Military Food !

Actually,--- I found the Army food, quite acceptable, both when I was a Guardsman, and also later, when I rose to the LESSER rank of A/Major !!!! :oops:

The Army Catering Corps were pretty good, even under some "Challenging" conditions !
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Actually,--- I found the Army food, quite acceptable,
I'm sure you did, after CH......

Actually, while I was at CH I was released for a couple of days to attend a 'test-in-advance' at the Officers and Aircrew Selection Centre at RAF Biggin Hill. The food there was superb, compared to school fodder.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Richard Ruck wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Actually,--- I found the Army food, quite acceptable,
I'm sure you did, after CH......

Actually, while I was at CH I was released for a couple of days to attend a 'test-in-advance' at the Officers and Aircrew Selection Centre at RAF Biggin Hill. The food there was superb, compared to school fodder.

You wouldn't recognise Biggin Hill now, Richard !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

We once fried an Egg, on the bonnet of a Jeep, near a place called GHAT -- the Geographical Centre of the Sahara -----

Oh my Gourmet experiences !!!! :lol:

( You wouldn't want to know about Fried Locust and Sheep's eyes !! :oops: )
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

huntertitus wrote:They say schooldays are the best in your life. I remember old buffers giving speeches on the subject while I was at CH. I scoffed at the idea then and I scoff at it now. I too have extremely mixed feelings about school. It gave me so much but like the last post it was sometimes a miserable experience, and sometimes beautiful. I would say the best days in one's life are more likely to be the first year of one's marriage.
This is very pessimistic. With one or two (or maybe six or seven, but no more) exceptions I think every year since I left university has been better than the one before.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

That means that you agree with me and therefore I was NOT being pessimistic, just truthful

please don't think I feel totally bad about schooldays - they gave me a lot of joy
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

huntertitus wrote:That means that you agree with me and therefore I was NOT being pessimistic, just truthful

please don't think I feel totally bad about schooldays - they gave me a lot of joy
I was saying that I am happier in the 40th year of marriage than I was in the first, insofar as my memory serves. You were suggesting to the young that marriage is a long journey downhill. That's what I meant about being pessimistic. As for those who say that their schooldays were the happiest of their lives, I can only say it suggests that their education, which was to prepare them for life, must have been a failure.
Th.B. 27 1955-63