What Doesn't Happen At CH These Days?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Re: What Doesn't Happen At CH These Days?

Post by Great Plum »

Richard Ruck wrote:
thriftymatron wrote:
Chrissie Boy wrote:What does this mean, the changing rooms were never really used again, and i don't think even exist anymore?
Pupils now change in their bedrooms and use the usual bathrooms after sport (not good when they return covered in wet mud from rugby). In Peele, Lamb, Maine and Leigh Hunt there are now staff flats where the old changing rooms used to be. Col B's is now visitors' toilets and the rest are either store rooms or common rooms for pupils.
Just out of interest, where do visiting teams change, then? We used to have to empty our changing rooms from time to time so that visitors could use them.
I think they use the changing rooms in the 1st XI pavillion, the 'tennis' pavillion which is squashed between the tennis courts and the rifle range and the changing rooms at the sports centre...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

thriftymatron wrote:
Chrissie Boy wrote: Whatever next? Fleecy-lined underpants ......
No need for those, as the boys now have comfy moleskin breeches, not the itchy woollen ones of the past!
Well, my DS had a pair of the woollen ones last year... we considered various options as they drove him crazy. Finally replaced when his legs were red & inflamed.... see? some things don't change!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

huggermugger wrote:
thriftymatron wrote:
Chrissie Boy wrote: Whatever next? Fleecy-lined underpants ......
No need for those, as the boys now have comfy moleskin breeches, not the itchy woollen ones of the past!
Well, my DS had a pair of the woollen ones last year... we considered various options as they drove him crazy. Finally replaced when his legs were red & inflamed.... see? some things don't change!
I don't remember any "Options" :lol:
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

The smell of floor polish still whisks me back to Housey in an instant. It was at its most distinct in the stair well walking into house at the beginning of term. I guess with carpets and sealed floors this "aroma" probably doesn't exist anymore.

I used to love the fusty, musty, dustiness of the School Wardrobe. What's the modern equivalent now?

I still pine for the layout of toyces much to my husband's annoyance and the manner in which I keep our study.

Oh and the old beds. Their legacy on my back made bed shopping an absolute nightmare - I'm honestly so much more comforatble on the floor than most beds.

Oh... and I bet Sprim doesn't exist anymore. What was that noxious stuff?
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

This has probably been asked ten thousand times already, but are pupils at CH still allowed to play conkers or has Health & Safety nonsense made it a capital offence?

Alternatively, are they still allowed to play it, as long as they wear crash helmets/American football suits/plate armour/beekeeper's apparel?
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I think hockey with Nellie was perilous enough.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Deb GP wrote:
Oh and the old beds. Their legacy on my back made bed shopping an absolute nightmare - I'm honestly so much more comforatble on the floor than most beds.
My sentiments entirely. Answer: buy a bedstead on which you can place boards, then put a good futon on them. Brilliant.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

michael scuffil wrote:
Deb GP wrote:
My sentiments entirely. Answer: buy a bedstead on which you can place boards, then put a good futon on them. Brilliant.

I thought you found them in soup ?

:lol:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

H'm JR doesn't seem to improve with age!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Fjgrogan wrote:H'm JR doesn't seem to improve with age!
I await young Neill's comments with interest !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Frances - he's younger than you, as he is just a couple of months older than me!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

?

Post by Fjgrogan »

Only just younger than me I think (than I, for the pedants!), but I freely admit that I am definitely not improving with age! It is particularly obvious where technology is concerned - i would like to think that I am not basically stupid, but I regularly do daft things with the computer or mobile phone and then panic. Last night was a typical example - I was booking my husband's flights to Finland and managed to duplicate the booking and get two separate booking references by e-mail. As the only way to deal with it was to ring Finnair customer care office in Finland, I phone Maria and asked her to sort it, and thankfully she did. But whenever I do anything like that I immediately go into a decline and convince myself that I am fast approaching seniliy - for the record I am 64.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Deb GP wrote:
I still pine for the layout of toyces much to my husband's annoyance and the manner in which I keep our study.

What is a toyce, please?

Those horrible hard CH mattresses, with the dip in the middle! It was lovely to get home and sleep in a soft bed again! And that was before my back suffered from the heavy lifting that was nursing in the Seventies. There was no compulsory use of lifting aids/ hoists/slidy sheets then.

How I love the bed I have now. I forget the name of the stuff, but it moulds to curve where I do.

I know we called our CH mattresses "horsehair", but were they? Remembering the time we had the lemon jelly midnight feast underneath a bed (and set fire to the mattress with the candle) the smouldering mattress stuffing smelled horrible.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Yes, they were horsehair I think. And you presumably have a memory foam mattress.

My BIL put as his status on Facebook "Memory foam mattresses are a gift from God."
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Angela Woodford wrote:
Deb GP wrote:

What is a toyce, please?

Those horrible hard CH mattresses, with the dip in the middle! It was lovely to get home and sleep in a soft bed again! And that was before my back suffered from the heavy lifting that was nursing in the Seventies. There was no compulsory use of lifting aids/ hoists/slidy sheets then.

How I love the bed I have now. I forget the name of the stuff, but it moulds to curve where I do.

I know we called our CH mattresses "horsehair", but were they? Remembering the time we had the lemon jelly midnight feast underneath a bed (and set fire to the mattress with the candle) the smouldering mattress stuffing smelled horrible.
In modern parlance they would be described as work stations. They were (large) desks with partitions for privacy and one could almost create a mini study within the dayroom with a bit of creative decoration.

They were considered state of the art when they appeared during my time in the sixties and the rumour was that they were designed by Barnes Wallis.

I have no idea as to whether or not that actually was the case.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72