Wierd Hobbies

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

Did anyone ever hear the tale of the "sky-dumper"? I don't know if that was a myth or not but it would certainly be an inventive way to pass solids........
Graham Slater
Maine B 1990 - 1993, Thorn A 1993 -1997
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Richard Ruck wrote:I think you can say 'penises' on here, Robin.

It's not a rude word! If you talk about what they're used for, however..... :wink:

Bl*ody, on the other hand, doesn't make it past the censor. :roll:

Hope you never had a nosebleed, 'cos you wouldn't be able to describe it!
Para 1)- Idon't want to

Para 2)- Yes it is

Para 3)- That is silly - I agree

Para 4)- I used to have dreadful nosebleeds and now put it down to a mass of unresolved anger - they stopped when I fell in love -ho hum la la la diddly doo dah!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

huntertitus wrote:
J.R. wrote:
marty wrote:A guy in Maine A, a few years above me, used to collect other people's sport's clothes...oh no, wait a minute - he was a THIEF! It got so bad that someone actually put a notice on his study door that said 'Lost Property'. I wont mention his name as he may have good lawyer by now...
This guy sounds to me, what we called a 'Snowdropper' when I was in the police, but this usually only concerned ladies under-wear and washing lines !
I'd love to hear some stories of the experiences you had in the police - it's one of those professions (like a doctor) where, if you are on the inside so to speak you get access to sidesplittingly funny stories - I know a few doctors and one had a vast list of objects which men had got their p*n*ses stuck into - some were quite unbelievable!
Strangely enough, not that many really rib-tickling stories.

One of my female cousins on the other hand, ended her career as a theatre-sister in one of the large London hospitals. Some of the tales she told from what we would now term the A & E Department ARE amusing, like the man who slipped forward while hoovering the living-room carpet, (nude ?)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

graham wrote:Did anyone ever hear the tale of the "sky-dumper"? I don't know if that was a myth or not but it would certainly be an inventive way to pass solids........
Billy, the sky dumper was no myth - it was a game and there were many 'sky dumpers'. The rules were simple. (Usually) two players would try and drop their load from the highest point possible. I recall several occasions when I ventured into the ends to be confronted with the sight of participants atop the cubicles "mid-game". If you managed to get your head touching the ceiling whilst resting your hands on the cistern you had a good chance of getting some "really good air". What was most fantastic was the volume of a direct hit - SPLOSH!!!! Although you didn't want to be around if anyone missed. Hope this answers your question...
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

graham wrote:Did anyone ever hear the tale of the "sky-dumper"? I don't know if that was a myth or not but it would certainly be an inventive way to pass solids........
They exist.
One day driving to work in Buenos Aires, I was in heavy traffic passing a construction site when something brown and splodgy hit my windscreen.
Traffic started and I kept going, deciding to remedy the situation when I got to the office.
When I got out of the car, the smell confimed my suspicion and I had to send the car to be washed.
I decided not to go back and see who was throwing s..t on the basis that they might have some more.
I assume a white Ford Sierra stuck in traffic is a reasonable target, and that it was not directed at me.
I now walk on the other side of the road to building sites
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

jhopgood wrote:
They exist.
One day driving to work in Buenos Aires, I was in heavy traffic passing a construction site when something brown and splodgy hit my windscreen.
Traffic started and I kept going, deciding to remedy the situation when I got to the office.
When I got out of the car, the smell confimed my suspicion and I had to send the car to be washed.
I decided not to go back and see who was throwing s..t on the basis that they might have some more.
I assume a white Ford Sierra stuck in traffic is a reasonable target, and that it was not directed at me.
I now walk on the other side of the road to building sites
I was barnes B 25
That means I must have inherited your bed
Thank you for leaving me the exquisitely comfortable horse-hair mattress!
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

huntertitus wrote:I was barnes B 25
That means I must have inherited your bed
Thank you for leaving me the exquisitely comfortable horse-hair mattress!
I inherited it from "Joe" Curtis, whose brother Robin was a couple of years older than me.
He also left a great pen and ink drawing in the Art School of his version of Hell
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

huntertitus wrote:Sorry rr

I know the tune

Must be driving you nuts

Time for another gin

Do you know how to post pictures on this forum - some have done it so it must be possible

I wanted to put one on who wd recognise you now? post

It wd be quite good to ask people to put their ugliest AND prettiest // most handsome pic on

Most boys wd cheat and put a sean connery pic on I know

Its Monday

I dont like them

How many gins have you poked down that ample throat???
There is a 'sticky' on the Forum instructions tha tells you how to do it.
Andy S
2nd Former

Post by Andy S »

Richard Ruck wrote:
JamesF35 wrote:There was a guy in MidA (can't remember his name) who used to cultivate stick insects and, from time to time, eat them live !
This sounds like Pete Spurrier (was he in Mid.A ?)....
Pete Spurrier was in Mid A. I shared a study with him. I'm fairly sure I would have noticed him eating stick insects, but I didn't.

I think the stick insect man might have been Arthur Bland, perhaps. He wanted to join the Royal Marines, but I don't think there was a direct connection between this and the stick insects. He came home to stay with me one half term. He lived in Bishops Stortford.
Last edited by Andy S on Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
LHB 56 (1970-1973)
Mid A 48 (1973-1976)
Andy S
2nd Former

Post by Andy S »

Rory wrote:
sport! wrote:anyway, who recalls a couple of blokes who were in Lamb A, I believe in the mid 70s, one of whom had blonde hair, a limp and tended to wear army gear as much as possible, including some sort of scarf........anyway, their weird hobby, or was it just a myth? was going out on Big/Little Side after dark and hurling a sheath knife randomly up in the air and ........
that was only one bloke - called jeremy something. I think he had a problem with a glider.

then we had one in Col B who rather than the usual pin ups etc. in his study, decorated the walls with really sexy pictures of the new Intercity 125.

On the main topic - how weird is it to post a new topic with really unusual spelling!! Completely wired.
This would be Jeremy Shields. He wanted to join the RAF, but crashed in a glider, I think on an RAF camp, and was never the same again. He had an obsession with the Jimmy Young show on Radio 2, and an unhealthy interest in Oswald Moseley and the BUF. He was in Andrew Husband's Mediaeval History set with me as a Dep. He was a thoroughly nice fellow, but a bit odd.
LHB 56 (1970-1973)
Mid A 48 (1973-1976)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

A boy in Col A in my time (Weeks perhaps) collected loo paper from any possible source including the sheets neatly printed Civil Service. I think he might also havew had some broad arrow specimens which suggests armed forces and prisons. All neatly put in albums with details of source, perforations etc.

Thank goodness they were unused
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Crippen
3rd Former

Wierd hobbies (weird spelling)

Post by Crippen »

I think it was the aforementioned Pete Spurrier that would go out on Big Side with a couple of mates in pitch darkness, throw the business end/half of a broken javelin vertically upwards and run like headless chickens waiting for the object to plummet to earth. Now that's a hobby.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Wierd hobbies (weird spelling)

Post by Mid A 15 »

Crippen wrote:I think it was the aforementioned Pete Spurrier that would go out on Big Side with a couple of mates in pitch darkness, throw the business end/half of a broken javelin vertically upwards and run like headless chickens waiting for the object to plummet to earth. Now that's a hobby.
Was (is) he related to Harry Spurrier or is the name coincidence?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Re: Wierd hobbies (weird spelling)

Post by Richard Ruck »

Mid A 15 wrote:
Crippen wrote:I think it was the aforementioned Pete Spurrier that would go out on Big Side with a couple of mates in pitch darkness, throw the business end/half of a broken javelin vertically upwards and run like headless chickens waiting for the object to plummet to earth. Now that's a hobby.
Was (is) he related to Harry Spurrier or is the name coincidence?
Harry's son, I believe.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Crippen
3rd Former

Weird hobbies

Post by Crippen »

Everyone (except me, it seems) fancied Sarah Spurrier, Harry's daughter...