End of term packing

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Re: End of term packing

Post by huggermugger »

Ah - just seen that you're from Maida Vale so in answer to my own question - no, that doesn't help! :oops:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Perhaps a parent local to CH could store the stuff in their garage or somewhere for a couple of weeks. However that does assume that the offspring can sort out what HAS to come home and what can be stored.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Sharing can be a real boon. When the swine flu broke I brought back 2 students with luggage.....all in a Mini. Admittedly, this was not the end of term exodus complete with bedding etc.

However, I really can recommend making contact with families local to you as it can really help.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

This thread has reminded me of what my room mate & I did at the end of one summer term at CH (Horsham) :lol: We had been told that we had to take everything home but as I was travelling home by train it was pretty much impossible - my stereo had its own BIG bag for a start :oops: :lol: We decided to hide some stuff under the wardrobes as we figured they would never move them to clean under them :wink: However, we were wrong & when we returned to school the next term ALL out stuff had gone :twisted: I don't actually remember what we hid now but it was a bit of a b*gger to lose it all :evil:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

I should say that for the Xmas term you don't necessarily have to take everyhting home as they don't let out the rooms over that holiday (not in our house this term, anyway) but as already pointed out, room cahnges might make it a bit difficult. However, in general houseparents are helpful & no doubt they will have come across the problem before!
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

If I remember rightly in LHB in the early 80's we were allowed to leave things in the civvies room during the holidays as it was locked. LHA I think we had to bring everything home and as by then the girls had come and we had moved to Duvet's in senior houses that included duvet & covers. Used to get it all in 1 suitcase and a briefcase somehow but i did only have a summer weight duvet (bought for £5 in a service station car park) which sadly I still have now in our spare room complete with the stain where someone tipped a bottle of head and shoulders over my bed.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I am desperately trying to catch up ------ Rooms at CH,-- LET OUT during Holidays --- for what -- pray ?

Mr and Mrs "Smith" ?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Conferences, PLG (a children's holiday company - affectionately known as Parents Get Lost), Open University Summer Schools. Off the top of my head. I am sure the folks at Horsham have more.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

This summer it was mostly language schools so Italian and German children charging around the place. The school is having to make money somehow!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Case explained ---- Oh dear !
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

englishangel wrote:Conferences, PLG (a children's holiday company - affectionately known as Parents Get Lost), Open University Summer Schools. Off the top of my head. I am sure the folks at Horsham have more.
They haven't had PGL at the school for some years thank goodness... they used to trash the place!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
KenHo
3rd Former

Post by KenHo »

Unless I am misreading something in the accounts, the school makes very little money from renting out the buildings, and only some of that comes from the summer. Whilst every little helps, I wonder if the trouble that everyone has to go to to pack up each term, with almost everyone having to come by car, is really worth the few pounds per child they make.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

They used to have CHE (Christ's Hospital Enteprises) that then became Quadrant Events that used to hire out the school buildings etc... Debbie G-P who sometimes posts on here worked for them for a time. I believe at the start it was quite profitable, but by the time it was wound up it wasn't making much money. I believe there was talk about starting up again once the kitchens have been refitted...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

the school makes very little money from renting out the buildings, and only some of that comes from the summer.
Now that's a way to have reunion!! It would be the most sensible thing, why don't we all rent Housey and have a whopping OBBs & HOBs summer paryt?!?!???
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Would the School ever recover?
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.