Deputy Grecian 2010

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

TAH-M
2nd Former

Re: Deputy Grecian 2010

Post by TAH-M »

Answers create more questions ....... if we go the lappy route could she link her laptop to a printer there, or would a printer also be a requirement??

Looks like I need to bulk by some biros and pencils - at least I don't have to name label those!!!!!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

AAAAH ! ----- Nostalgia,--- Cash's Name Tapes --- do they still have those -- which have to be sewn on, by loving Mums ?

I STILL have a somewhat tatty Cameron Tartan Blanket with the aforementioned tape ---" N.Evans Ba B 35 "
It dates from 1940 !!!!!!

Please can I have my bedtime Ovaltine Nurse ?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:AAAAH ! ----- Nostalgia,--- Cash's Name Tapes --- do they still have those -- which have to be sewn on, by loving Mums ?

I STILL have a somewhat tatty Cameron Tartan Blanket with the aforementioned tape ---" N.Evans Ba B 35 "
It dates from 1940 !!!!!!

Please can I have my bedtime Ovaltine Nurse ?
Oh yes
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

My children complain bitterly that it's "like, just so embarrassing" whenever they do any sporting activity at home in the holidays because their swimming trunks, tracksuits etc are all clearly labelled with their name and house number! I'm afraid that our tight budget does not run to a full set of unlabelled civvies!!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

ailurophile wrote:My children complain bitterly that it's "like, just so embarrassing" whenever they do any sporting activity at home in the holidays because their swimming trunks, tracksuits etc are all clearly labelled with their name and house number! I'm afraid that our tight budget does not run to a full set of unlabelled civvies!!
I can't see a problem if normal Cash type labels are sewn on the inside; if you want to sew them on the outside in a prominent place ......................................

which reminds me, feeling a bit cold a few days ago when I had to work outdoors I put on some "longjohns" which had my CH label in them. I must have had them for one of the CCF survival exercises in the Peak Distrrict in 1959/61 - they still fit perfectly
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:
ailurophile wrote:My children complain bitterly that it's "like, just so embarrassing" whenever they do any sporting activity at home in the holidays because their swimming trunks, tracksuits etc are all clearly labelled with their name and house number! I'm afraid that our tight budget does not run to a full set of unlabelled civvies!!
I can't see a problem if normal Cash type labels are sewn on the inside; if you want to sew them on the outside in a prominent place ......................................

which reminds me, feeling a bit cold a few days ago when I had to work outdoors I put on some "longjohns" which had my CH label in them. I must have had them for one of the CCF survival exercises in the Peak Distrrict in 1959/61 - they still fit perfectly

Surely, being educated at CH, Horsham in the 50's and 60's was a survival exercise in itself !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

I would also suggest unless things have changed a fairly unbreakable and distinctly coloured mug, it will get knocked off a desk, side or windowsill and it needs to be spotable from 10 yards. I would also suggest a small lock up box as although in the 80's thievery was rare it is still nice to have somewhere you can lock things that matter a lot to you. doesn't need to be a safe just a cash box or a lockable camera case/box. Alternatively a trunk rather than a case as it can double up as a small table (simply cover with large ethnic scarf thing) or lock up (add padlock).

However I left pre grecians houses so may be talking twaddle (not unheard of) as i don't know the space, privacy and cutlery provisions. However a few boxes of supernoodles/cup a soups are never superfluous. Horsham is a few miles away so you can't just pop down the local spar like at home
onewestguncopse
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by onewestguncopse »

TAH-M wrote:Answers create more questions ....... if we go the lappy route could she link her laptop to a printer there, or would a printer also be a requirement??

Looks like I need to bulk by some biros and pencils - at least I don't have to name label those!!!!!
Printing is a big issue here so I would explore getting a cheap printer. You may get away with it until the Grecians but they become very useful in the Grecians year.

You will also need a portable pen drive.

Agree with the safe deposit box - theft is rare but ..... An old fashioned cash box for cash, passports, ipods ...

Most (no all) students have mobiles but DO NOT go down the contract route. Too many sorry tales of £100 bills!

Make sure that you have personal home insurance to cover items outside your home (i.e. laptops etc).

I would also recommend 2 large A4 lever arch files per AS subject plus some dividers!
TAH-M
2nd Former

Post by TAH-M »

Good suggestions. Found a lexmark printer online for £2 new the other day (it's the ink that's the killer with printers!) although getting it to CH may be another story
mugs and cashboxes seem sensible and I wouldn't have thought of either - good ideas for the birthday list too 8)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

TAH-M wrote:Good suggestions. Found a lexmark printer online for £2 new the other day (it's the ink that's the killer with printers!) although getting it to CH may be another story
mugs and cashboxes seem sensible and I wouldn't have thought of either - good ideas for the birthday list too 8)

We actually know someone who buys a new printer, runs it until the ink runs out, then buys another new printer after selling the original one on e-bay. He usually breaks even !!!!

Printers are a con.

SORRY - I'll re-phrase that........

The INK is the con !!!!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

TAH-M wrote:Good suggestions. Found a lexmark printer online for £2 new the other day (it's the ink that's the killer with printers!) although getting it to CH may be another story
Lexmark are particularly ink-hungry and the cartridges for them are super-duper expensive.

On Grecians pupils get given a school laptop. This can print to the house printers via infra-red (on current setup), but you'll need your own paper. The school laptops also mean you can quickly and easily email essays and the like across to teachers - really useful as it also means you know you sent it and they know they received it.
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Senility Stikes Again----- What, the Blue Blazes, is a "Pen Drive " ???

I thought Pens were essentially "Hand Driven "
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:
sejintenej wrote: I must have had them for one of the CCF survival exercises in the Peak Distrrict in 1959/61 - they still fit perfectly

Surely, being educated at CH, Horsham in the 50's and 60's was a survival exercise in itself !
Dorms got down to close to zero but at least then we could use the tube to avoid the rain.
In camp it was wet, often very windy, even colder and cramped with three people in two man tents. Doing the D of E expedition and camping in slush one's boots actually froze at night - Oh Happy Days!

Yes, CH was a survival exercise but CCF was something else (and later mountain leader training camping at - they told us - 25ºF below freezing was even worse!)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Senility Stikes Again----- What, the Blue Blazes, is a "Pen Drive " ???

I thought Pens were essentially "Hand Driven "
A pen drive (otherwise a flash USB drive) are the little doodads which replaced floppy discs for storing information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_flash_drive

You can get them all over from Tesco to Amazon
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Sejintenej wrote
ailurophile wrote:
My children complain bitterly that it's "like, just so embarrassing" whenever they do any sporting activity at home in the holidays because their swimming trunks, tracksuits etc are all clearly labelled with their name and house number! I'm afraid that our tight budget does not run to a full set of unlabelled civvies!!

I don't want to sew them in a prominent place - I'm 'Only following orders'!! We're given very strict instructions as to where labels must be sewn onto sports kit etc.