Thrifty tips

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Thrifty tips

Post by sejintenej »

midget wrote:Use a freezer and KEEP IT FULL. Elderly but edible bread and cheese whizzed in a food processor with a handful of roughly chopped spring onions make a delicious topping for baked white fish or chicken, and the surplus can be frozen..
Allegedly a full freezer users lass electricity than a near empty one. Do make as list of what is in there so you know what is getting a bit old. Try to keep it neat so that you can find things - we have (2) shelves for meat products, one for fish, one for veg, one for items being frozen and one for bread, supermarket puff pastry etc - make up your own rules and stick to them.
midget wrote:Fill the oven as often as you can, eg a meat casserole+ pot of baked beans+minced beef and onions as a basis for pasta sauce. Then divide up (margarine boxes are reusable and "free") and freeze.
Yes, yes, yes and get friends to pass on the plastic boxes Chinese take-aways come in; they are two meal portions. Rescue a few veg bags from the supermarket - excellent for parboiled veg (put in a marge bpox whilst freezing to get a simple shape). Buy veg when cheap / near sell-by date and freeze.

When (if) you have a chicken, after eating all the meat put the bones in a large saucepan with an onion (diced) a carrot (cut up), perhaps a stick of celery and /or a potato, some herbs - rosemary and thyme shoud do - but NO salt. Boil for an hour, sieve, cool and freeze; excellent stock to be used as chicken soup, as stock for gravy and sauces, as a base for gravy ........ effectively free and full of flavour.

I haven't yet found labels which stick properly - one of the penalties :x :x
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Miss Jukes would be proud of you, David!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

We ALWAYS make stock with our chicken bones. Not sure about the freezing part though, ours never lasts past the chicken/sweetcorn/potato (whatever other veggies are left over) soup on Monday. (Like Delia's suggestion you freeze left over wine in ice cube trays to pop into stock - left over WINE?)

I am always reading about all the food that is thrown away. We throw very little away and don't overeat because we always put the food out on serving dishes and get people to help themselves. We started doing this when the children were about 10 or 11 because we found that the full plate was just putting them off eating any of it and if they want more they can go back to it. If there is a food they don't like it doesn't get pushed around the plate until it is inedible. Then when everyone has had enough the remains get put into little pots for later use. Husband loves cold potatoes and as mentioned before they can be fried up. Most veggies can be put into soup. One Christmas we had cooked so much broccoli I made the leftovers into a soup with some of the Stilton from a gift hamper.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

If you go out to work make your own lunch, sandwiches, pasta salad, whatever.

Never, never, never go to a chain coffee shop. You could buy a new outfit with what you could spend in one in a week.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote:If you go out to work make your own lunch, sandwiches, pasta salad, whatever..
Some time back I calculated that I could make a plain cheddar cheese sandwich for 11 pence using shop bought materials at the time when shops in London charged £2 plus for the same thing.
englishangel wrote:Never, never, never go to a chain coffee shop. You could buy a new outfit with what you could spend in one in a week.
and one cup of coffee needs two trips to the loo; they could make a fortune charging for spending a "penny"

Tip (I may have written it here before); get an old ham bone from one of the supermarkets. They make a nominal charge and sometimes give them away free. There's a huge amount of ham left on it for sandwiches etc. and then a bone for stock. We don't have a dog (apart from me) so can't get a third use out of the bone
Unfortunately due to "elf and safty" T**** refused to allow such bones to leave the premises - I haven't asked recently.

Some uncooked veg, raisins or sultanas left over from the Xmas cake and a bit of vinegar and you have chutney to go on the ham. Check the throw-out shelves (or go to Lidl) to get hard (durum) flour and make bread at 30p a loaf (plus oven electricity) - it's a fun exercise! Suddenly your ham and chutney sandwich has become even cheaper.

Books: I have far far too many. I use only three - Leith's Cookery Bible (£5 brand new :P ), Cuisine of Paul Bocuse (in English, English ingredients, £1 from charity shop) and Pellaprat (clasical French cooking, also translated, UK ingredients - £2 from charity shop). I don't do Indian or Chinese cooking and only a little Japanese so those cover all bases. Anything else is from internet.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I don't know if this has been mentioned befor -- but ---
When cooking a Gammon Joint, the instructions usually say to bring it to the boil and then throw away the water.
Fine --- particular;y if it is a Smoked Joint.
However, having re-filled the pot to cover the joint and simmering for 30 minutes before putting in the oven ---

DO NOT throw away this water --- re-boil with some lentils macaroni bits, a sliced onion and some whole peppers, for another 30 minutes and you have a wonderful Gammon Soup. I blitz mine to make it smoother and add various flavourings as you will, it freezes well, in old Ice cream or Margarine boxes and keeps for eons !!

BTW --- the cheapest Gammon Joint I know is £3 in T****0's and the skin --- if peeled off, salted in strips and bunged on a baking tray at the top of the oven, makes wonderful nibbles to leave around the House !
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

....... I bet that either Neill or David, or both, would also know what to do with pigs' trotters, and how to make brawn from a pig's head?

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Fjgrogan wrote:....... I bet that either Neill or David, or both, would also know what to do with pigs' trotters, and how to make brawn from a pig's head?
Cheeky! Was that a direct request for help or simply rhetorical?

I have never cooked either. My brother-in-law cooks and eats trotters and I am sure I had brawn when I was young.

Took about 90 seconds to get 3 recipes for pigs trotters (+ one for sheeps trotters) from Bocuse and another 3 from Pellaprat. Strongly recommended you use front trotters which are better than hind ones

Brawn was a bit harder (several recipes in the books for heads but not brawn) but Google has (they claim) 56,600 recipes. Try

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/534806

This recipe includes the trotters and has similarities to one of Bocuse' recipes for trotters after singeing and scraping(difference is wrap the trotters in cloth to maintain shape. Take out after 10 hours and let cool in cooking liquid. Eat with melted butter and bread)

If you really want chapter and verse let me know

So, I didn't know but to quote the AA "I know a man who does". Who wins the bet
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Actually we used to be able to buy pigs' trotters from a butcher in Kingston, which has since disappeared - i don't remember how we cooked them, but i remember enjoying them and I am quite sure it didn't take ten hours. As for brawn - I watched my sister make it, and it completely put me off ever tasting it. don't 'they' say that you can eat every part of the pig except the tail?

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Fjgrogan wrote:Actually we used to be able to buy pigs' trotters from a butcher in Kingston, which has since disappeared - i don't remember how we cooked them, but i remember enjoying them and I am quite sure it didn't take ten hours. As for brawn - I watched my sister make it, and it completely put me off ever tasting it. don't 'they' say that you can eat every part of the pig except the tail?

I'm told all parts, apart from TWO !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I am right handed, as re all the family. We wear out right handed rubber gloves more quickly than left handed ones. For years I have turned left hand rubber gloves inside out to make new right hand ones, I thought everyone did until someone commented on my non-matching pair.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Fjgrogan wrote:Actually we used to be able to buy pigs' trotters from a butcher in Kingston, which has since disappeared - i don't remember how we cooked them, but i remember enjoying them and I am quite sure it didn't take ten hours. As for brawn - I watched my sister make it, and it completely put me off ever tasting it. don't 'they' say that you can eat every part of the pig except the tail?
The 10 hours was from Bocuse (3 Michelin stars) and another of his recipes involves boiling until the shin bone parts freely from the skin (no time given).

Pellaprat recipes are in two parts:
-singe and clean carefullt
-Split in 2 lengthways
-boil in lightly salted weater with bouquet garni, carrots, onions and cloves, 2 - 2.5 hours
From that base there are a couple of ways to finish off - cover in sauce periguex and put in oven 20 minutes. (That sauce based on brown stock gravy, takes several days and includes truffles which is outside our league; often one can experiment with alternatives). Alternatively coat with beaten egg, breadcrumbs, melted butter and grill

JR - OK, two; but I won't try to eat the tusks and teeth. What you are thinking of is a delicacy in Spain

There are still shops in Romford and Basildon which sell trotters and heads and also things like beef shin bones (good for stocks). Look round the poorer areas close to you if you really want trotters - I'll give them a miss.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Yes !!! I use Pigs Trotters and also Half a Head, which I get from the local Nursery (NO ! FLORAL !)
In addition to making Brawn, from Head and Ears and eating the Trottors, the Pigs Cheek is delicious battered and fried.

When I lived in Stockwell, there was an Offal Shop which sold Cow's Heels, Chitterlings, Tripe, etc. etc.

I don't know if any such shops exist now.

I hope no Vegetarians are reading this :oops: :oops: :oops:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Back to more general tips, there is today a series of articles headed Credit Crunch Munch on
http://www.gm.tv/lifestyle/34923-cookin ... cipes.html

the one headed "Bites" at least seems to have some sensible ideas

(You might not believe it but I have never used that site for anything cookery related - I do their competitions. One way of getting money for those cheap vegetables!)

Whilst I remember, pork belly is cheaper than most cuts and is excellent - roast long and slow.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Belly slices are not bad under the grill either.