Day Pupils - announcement pending

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

jhopgood
Button Grecian

Re: Day Pupils - announcement pending

Post by jhopgood »

Not quite sure where the times come from, bearing in mind that classes used to start at around 9.00am and finish around 6.00pm, and I can't believe they have changed that much. If one has to stay on for extra curricular activities etc, that may extend the day, but even so, in my experience it is not much longer than many children I know, including my own.
Because of the distance to the school/college, my children always had to use the school bus as my wife does not drive. If I took them, I would be lucky if I arrived at my office much before lunch. Given the routing of the bus, they were frequently the first to be picked up, around 7.30 am. Classes started at 9.00 am and finished at 4.00 pm, meaning that they got home after 5.00pm, unless they had extra activities, such as sports. We had to arrange for them to be picked up by someone else, so they would get home around 7.00 pm, and then had homework.
Pretty long day, and they did this from the age of 7.
Even pupils in the UK had long days. Traveling from where my mother lived to say Colfes (where my brother went), takes nearly an hour on public transport. With no extra curricular activities, he would leave before 8.00 am and be back around 6.00pm.
I know it is a long day, but would suggest it is not that unusual.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

it came from this post in another part of the forum (chstuff day pupils - i think) and it is far longer than most 11 year olds days - fine by 13 or 14 but not for an 11 year old

"Hi, cant be bothered to read through all the posts but if this isnt widely known, heres the extent of the information that even the smt know at the moment;
approx 1 day pupil per year per house
approx 1 full fee paying pupil per year per block
will start next year, forseen increases over the next few years, should have then been reduced over 10 years approx
potential offering of IB may be introduced and trialled over the next few years
class sizes will increase by 1 or 2 per senior class (A level)
2 or 3 extra per class junior level (gcse)
pupils will have to live locally, as their morning will start at 8 and day will end at 9:30 after prep
It is a widely sensible decision, as their are few alternative routes, but these new pupils will 1) demand higher standards than what the school provides for those on subsidised places [there is often a thankfulness/appreciative attitude of parents for those who have children at school who sometimes suffer, but dont want to speak up because they are grateful for the place} and 20 will feel considerably left out of school life, they will surely be classed as outsiders.
thats all folks hope this helps
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

I think prep starts at 7.15 and finishes at 8.15. Even so, it's going to be a long day for the younger day pupils.
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Prep ends at diffenrent times according to age - Grecians have the latest at 9.30

so it`s unlikely that a junior day pupil woud be leaving school at 9 pm after junior lights out!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

It used to be (in Leigh Hunt in 80's) LHB first prep 7:15 - 8:45 2nd form lights out 9:15, 3rd form 9:30 2nd prep for LE 9:00 - 9:30 lights out 9:45, UF lights out 10pm

Then in LHA 1st prep 7:15-8:45, 2nd prep 9:00 - 9:45, Lights out 10:00 for UF/GE, Deps and Grecians had studies with no official end to 2nd prep or lights out but expected to be no later than 11:00 unless major projects etc. I remember several people doing O-Level History projects (so GE) pulling all nighters due to poor planning and it involving packet fulls of pro-plus and jugs full of coffee. A-Levels that was even more common. I have memories of sitting on a bench the other side of the copse opposite LHA having a fag in a break in revision or work at about 2am during my Deps

Everyone had to be at breakfast and even on the Grecians - JED would personally check all studies at 7:20 to make sure people were up and leaving house
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Unless the day pupils are going to come in later and have earlier finishing times , there really is little point in them going home for a just a few hours, tired out with the schoolday and travelling, when they could stay at the school overnight and therefore board!!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

wurzel wrote: Deps and Grecians had studies with no official end to 2nd prep or lights out but expected to be no later than 11:00 unless major projects etc. I remember several people doing O-Level History projects (so GE) pulling all nighters due to poor planning and it involving packet fulls of pro-plus and jugs full of coffee. A-Levels that was even more common. I have memories of sitting on a bench the other side of the copse opposite LHA having a fag in a break in revision or work at about 2am during my Deps

Everyone had to be at breakfast and even on the Grecians - JED would personally check all studies at 7:20 to make sure people were up and leaving house
Hard work but I am glad that boys and girls felt the responsibility enough to do that. In my day one did O level so young (I started at 14) that normal lightsout applied come what may. However, for deps and grecians it was a case of getting it done whatever it took. We didn't have the outside distractions so I never had to pull ghosters but there were long periods when I and others were getting 5 hours sleep if we was lucky. We also had the responsibility of ensuring that younger boys were not disturbed if we were late going to bed.
The question of missing breakfast parade or trades simply didn't exist - one had to be there [full stop]

It may start off OK for the day pupils but in yerars to come, do the bosses really think that parents will allow their offspring to work like that? At present it is effectively hidden but the press will come to hear about the "slave drivers" and "abusers of youngsters' trust, health and safety" and worse. Will the school dismiss pupils who don't get the work done? What will they do when exam passes start to fall?
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

lights out did apply - i remember people laying in the dark for JED's house lights to go out so they could get back up and start work. Must state it was usually due to leaving it until last minute rather than anything else - I was the last ever year to do O-Levels and I doubt any other later year had the same situation (but i'm so glad i have one off exams over continual assessment)
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I am afraid that I am unconvinced that "2nd class Pupils" will not apply.
Children can be VERY cruel !

Another thought --- which will the "2nd Class" be ????