The Old Swimming Baths J G Steel Peele A 1940-1947

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

gma
Grecian

Re: The Old Swimming Baths J G Steel Peele A 1940-1947

Post by gma »

For a completely unrelated, non-military and non-Horsam fellow OB - I love how connected this makes me feel.

Thank you Gentlemen!
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

TBA has reminded me,after looking at a Photo, that I managed to get the Bronze and Silver Medals from the Royal Life=Saving Society, and the 1st class Instructor's Certificate ---- which were displayed on my bathing costume.
I got all these, while still at CH, there was quite a fashion for the RLSS.at the School.
Does it still exist ? and do they still have to "Rescue" two bricks in a sack ?? :lol:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:TBA has reminded me,after looking at a Photo, that I managed to get the Bronze and Silver Medals from the Royal Life=Saving Society, and the 1st class Instructor's Certificate ---- which were displayed on my bathing costume.
I got all these, while still at CH, there was quite a fashion for the RLSS.at the School.
Does it still exist ? and do they still have to "Rescue" two bricks in a sack ?? :lol:
AFAIK CH didn't do it in the mid 1950's but in 1958 when they formed "Civil Defence" as a section of the CCF then it became cumpulsory for all members of those platoons. At the same time I think a few boys started doing it outside the CCF and at least one got to Medal of Merit level.

Basic entry test was to swim a short distance (?250 yds) free style followed by the same distance rescue stroke and pick a brick from the bottom, all without stopping. No sacks AFAIR. Carrying a victim was easier - about a length by each of a couple of carries and including breathing into the person.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Many things have changed --- TBA thinks that "Resuscitation" (?) by waving th patient's arms about, is HILARIOUS !

But then her Patients in Intensive Care were slightly "Deader!" :lol:
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

My first introduction to artificial respiration was via the CH Guide company when the method in vogue was Holger Nielson, which required that the 'victim' should be tidily positioned on dry land; the advantage of the later method, whose name I forget, but which required breathing into the 'victim', was that you could get a couple of breaths in whilst still in the water, which could make all the difference. On the whole life-saving is something which I have learnt in theory and could probably remember in an emergency, but thankfully have never had to perform in practice (I feel the same about changing a car wheel!). But then although I can swim it is not something I choose to do for fun! I am currently in Finland and Maria has been trying to persuade me to go swimming with her - she had almost succeeded until I discovered that the swim is usually followed by the sauna - no way!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Many things have changed --- TBA thinks that "Resuscitation" (?) by waving th patient's arms about, is HILARIOUS !

But then her Patients in Intensive Care were slightly "Deader!" :lol:
Remind TBA that there exist situations when Holger Neilssen** is the only feasible method - severe jaw injury or burns being an example. Frances is right that the current method is far more desirable. ** There was an alternative method - Sylvester - which also involved arm waving and near shoulder dislocation
However, would you care to ask TBA what the success rate for mouth-to-mouth resuscitation actually is? (Best not to post the official answer)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

............. reminds me of the early days in 'Plod'

I, as a rookie with a seasoned veteran cop had to pull a body from under a bridge on the River Mole.

Seasoned cop said to me.... "You realise we can't certify death, don't you ?'

I confirmed that I knew that, and asked what the next course of action should be.....

"Trained in mouth to mouth rescus, aren't you ?" He wickedly replied, very straight faced.

.... and people wonder where I get my sense of 'gallows' humour from ! CH was only just the start.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:............. reminds me of the early days in 'Plod'

I, as a rookie with a seasoned veteran cop had to pull a body from under a bridge on the River Mole.

I confirmed that I knew that, and asked what the next course of action should be.....

"Trained in mouth to mouth rescus, aren't you ?" He wickedly replied, very straight faced.

.... and people wonder where I get my sense of 'gallows' humour from ! CH was only just the start.
You might just be able to remind me of the name of the CH housemaster who also had been a plod. He regaled us one day to a story of having to remove a body from a bath; it appears that the person had got a bit more than merry, got in the bath and turned on the hot tap before settling down to a good (long) kip. Allegedly he / she was so well poached that the meat fell off the bones as any decntly cooked meat should.

Happy nightmares everyone.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

sejintenej wrote:
J.R. wrote:............. reminds me of the early days in 'Plod'

You might just be able to remind me of the name of the CH housemaster who also had been a plod. He regaled us one day to a story of having to remove a body from a bath; it appears that the person had got a bit more than merry, got in the bath and turned on the hot tap before settling down to a good (long) kip. Allegedly he / she was so well poached that the meat fell off the bones as any decently cooked meat should.

Happy nightmares everyone.
My father, a member of the Met, was also on the Forensic side for a while, and was frequently called when dead bodies were found.
For him, the most upsetting was a women, who had died of natural causes (cancer), but had lived the last few years of her life behind a veil. The cancer ate her face away. I saw the black and white photo, and that was gruesome.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

While we are being gruesome, my uncle was in the West Midlands Police at the time of the Birmingham pub bombings (November 1974) and swears to this day he picked up more body bits than the number of people thought to have died.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I've got more tales, but it's getting near tea-time !
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Most of the corpses, I have met "Socially" were well beyond any form of resuscitation !

More a case of Aruldie, needle and thread, Gaffer tape, and a plastic sack ----- :oops:

Before I get a tirade of response for being in sensitive ------ I Jest !!! :lol: :lol:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Most of the corpses, I have met "Socially" were well beyond any form of resuscitation !

More a case of Aruldie, needle and thread, Gaffer tape, and a plastic sack ----- :oops:

Before I get a tirade of response for being in sensitive ------ I Jest !!! :lol: :lol:

We did a lot of 'jesting' in 'Plod' !

You had too, to keep sane. No such thing as 'Counselling' in those good old days !
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

As do nurses and doctors, sometimes you have to laugh or you cry, hence the popularity of the 'Doctor' books, and, more recently "Scrubs".
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I have at least a couple of mortuary incidents which might be a little too strong for this forum, hilarious though they are, they contain real 'gallows' humour !

One concerns a paint-brush, and the other a deceased drowned person.

I'll leave you to 'boggle' your minds on your own.