Best wishes to all the new second form

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Re: Best wishes to all the new second form

Post by Great Plum »

That's right, there are lockable lockers in the music school...

I always used to keep my flute with me as I took it home (being a non foundationer!) The piccolo could stay in the music school though!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I must say, Matt, it's ages since you mentioned your piccolo !! :drinkers:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

It was never mine... it belonged to the school! :lol:
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
juglinbob
2nd Former

Post by juglinbob »

Fjgrogan wrote:Has it occurred to anyone that if your children are in a position to send e-mails then they are probably also able to access this forum?
Yep. My DD has gained a place for this coming September, and actually introduced me to this forum! She has read through pretty much all of the posts, and has now worked herself into a state about life at CH - focusing on any negatives mentioned...

Still - if she puts as much time into school work as she does reading this forum then I'm sure she'll do well! (Hear that Bella? We have faith in you! I'm sure that you'll love your time at CH! :D x)
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

Lots of children (especially girls) absolutely love their time at CH. So here's a message for Bella - go with a glad and proud heart and make up your own mind! (And congratulations :D )

Welcome, juglinbob...
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

My advice to my son....and so to your daughter (!) was to keep an open mind, get involved and don't expect it to be instantly easy or to be instantly happy. There's been ups and downs but he loves it. Good luck to your daughter!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

juglinbob wrote:
Fjgrogan wrote:Has it occurred to anyone that if your children are in a position to send e-mails then they are probably also able to access this forum?
Yep. My DD has gained a place for this coming September, and actually introduced me to this forum! She has read through pretty much all of the posts, and has now worked herself into a state about life at CH - focusing on any negatives mentioned...

Still - if she puts as much time into school work as she does reading this forum then I'm sure she'll do well! (Hear that Bella? We have faith in you! I'm sure that you'll love your time at CH! :D x)
Just remind DD of two things:

many, many of the negative things happened almost before her mother was born and don't happen now
and
it is (unfortunately) part of the human psyche that we tend to remember accurately the unpleasant things in life whilst the nice things are not remembered in the same detail. (I can remember being marooned on ice in 1947 and other horrors from that era but I can't remember watching the Coronation in 1953!)

Therefore, if DD is openminded then there is no reason why she should not enjoy herself. Yes, home sickness c a n be a problem but it is a question of whether she suffers it now in a crowded busy environment or when she goes to Uni and can sit alone in her garret (?sp) week after week wallowing in misery and self-pity. IMHO she should get over it now and not wait until later.

Whatever, best of luck and good fortune to her
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Good luck to DD, and all her soon-to-be friends.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

midget wrote:Good luck to DD, and all her soon-to-be friends.

Hear-Hear !

I know I often mention the 'bad' things about the 50's and 60's at Horsham, but believe you me, there were some GREAT moments as well !

I think it's what's called.....

'Taking The Rough With The Smooth' !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Well I loved it, in the War Years, and with Beatings, Closed School, all Male Pupils ----- BUT the friends, and the fact that you have made it to the BEST SCHOOL IN THE WORLD --- will sustain DD for life !!

I forgot to mention the sedret jokes, and the mimicry of Teachers, (I bet they knew !) which made three 60+ OBS chorus the ditty about "Kappa Sills" together !!!! :lol:
wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by wickedwitch »

juglinbob wrote:

ooh hello, fancy meeting you here!

we had a long talk about it this weekend and she is happier!

thanks for all the kind words folks.

x
wide awake on the edge of the world
barwen
Deputy Grecian

Post by barwen »

Congratulations and best wishes to all of those boys and girls who will be starting at C.H. in September. I denied my son the chance back in 2008 and still regret that decision even though my lad is doing very well at a good indie here in North Devon.
I bet there are a few parents who felt absolutely elated when they discovered that their child had been chosen, but that night had such a sickening feeling deep within their stomachs at the thought of losing their child. My advice to you is, DONT STOP THEM as I did because the sickening feeling I have now far outweighs that which I felt then. :( If Only!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Barwen, stop beating yourself up, you did what you thought best at the time, and I am sure with such a parent your son will be absolutely fine.

That is all any of us can do, the best that we can.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
bosty94
2nd Former

Post by bosty94 »

Barwen, I think you need to remember how fortunate you are that your son has got a place at a good independent school. And with a scholarship. I don't mean to sound churlish, but I can't tell you how happy I would be if my child had such a great alternative to her waiting list place at CH. He sounds like he is happy, getting a good education, and has devoted parents. Don't, as Englishangel said, beat yourself up over this.
barwen
Deputy Grecian

Post by barwen »

Thanks, both of you. :)