Holly Walsh

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Holly Walsh

Post by Katharine »

I think we had hangers - with our numbers on of course!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Not Holly Walsh, but

Post by Angela Woodford »

Definitely a hanger from the hook on the wall over the bed. I can remember arranging my tunic, then blouse on top and my relaxed-from-knot tie for speed of dressing again in the morning. Linings, vest and socks in the basket under the bed.

Unless, of course, it was Hanky Day (Tuesdays) during 1965, which, as I have confessed before, threw me into a state of panic. Then I would be nervously getting into my clothes under the covers before the Rising Bell, all set to run downstairs before everybody else for the ordeal of arranging the House Hankies correctly. Feel the fear!

Thank you Bob for the thrilling picture of stripy-pyjama-clad hanky panky! :wink: There's just something about stripy pyjamas which I love. :roll:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Pixie
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Pixie »

Katharine wrote:I think we had hangers - with our numbers on of course!
Yes, we did use hangers. I've still got mine! Wooden with my name and number written on it. I'm not sure it was school issue, I have a vague feeling that I brought it to school from home.
3.8 65-72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I have a hanger with Mary Vincett 2:17 on it, but I thought it was for school needlework.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Pixie
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Pixie »

It could have been for needlework. My memories of CH are very fuzzy these days.
3.8 65-72
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

I don't remember a dedicated hanger for handing in School Needlework, but -

It had to be utterly perfect. A white label, attached to the needlework by four immaculate sewn crosses in each corner and one's very neat name. If the garment wasn't for you, you could add "for my brother" or whatever. Hmm, let's see - this might not appear onscreen as centred, but it had to be.

Angela Marsh
House Six
(Hand crocheted lace)

as once I put hopefully on a carefully crafted nightie - in case the mean-minded SWSNBN might think I'd bought the trimming. The label was placed on the left side of the garment, where one might place a medal to best effect. Katharine will remember! It often took several goes to get the label perfect. They had a maddening habit of lurching skew-whiff as one sewed the last cross.

I reckon many of us deserved medals after staying up all night on the landing frantically sewing, or helping someone who was tearfully muttering "I'll never finish. Why did I get behind? (Sniff) Next time I'll get finished. I'll get a Below Standard....." as two a m rolled on to the dawn of Handing In Day...

Is it MKM who remembers somebody who did buttonholes in an acryllic thread, and then pressed them with a hot iron on the morning of Handing In Day?

I feel the twinges of a panic attack just thinking about it.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Like Pixie, my memory is hazy, 7 years and I can't remember.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

My spies informed me of the latest developments on this thread, and my solicitors will be contacting Mr Crawshaw shortly.

Mrs Ajarn's only comment: "Why aren't you fat in the photo?"

Bob was a very keen photographer, as I recall, and may well have a stack of interesting 'real life' CH photos from the early 70s, a far cry from the neat, serried ranks of a House photo or band parade. If you have time, Bob, I'd love to see an on-line album. Welcome to the forum, by the way!
bobcrawshaw
2nd Former

Post by bobcrawshaw »

Ajarn Philip wrote:My spies informed me of the latest developments on this thread, and my solicitors will be contacting Mr Crawshaw shortly.

Mrs Ajarn's only comment: "Why aren't you fat in the photo?"

Bob was a very keen photographer, as I recall, and may well have a stack of interesting 'real life' CH photos from the early 70s, a far cry from the neat, serried ranks of a House photo or band parade. If you have time, Bob, I'd love to see an on-line album. Welcome to the forum, by the way!
I will do what I can and fairly soon, shortly after that I will be assuming a new identity. Thanks for the welcome everybody, I am enjoying myself.
Ma.A 1968-1971 Col.A 1971-1975
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Angela Woodford wrote:Is it MKM who remembers somebody who did buttonholes in an acryllic thread, and then pressed them with a hot iron on the morning of Handing In Day?
I think it was Alex who had the ironing mishap. But perhaps I exaggerated the damage caused.

I actually preferred a frantic all night sewing session to finishing my needlework the sensible way, a little at a time. At least it gave some excitement to a dull task. I'm not sure I handed in any needlework at all in my last year. I just didn't do it, and nobody seemed to notice. Of course, SWMNBN had retired by then.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Had she, Mary?

This is indeed perplexing news. You were a year younger than I! SWMNBN was still in power when I left. I know, I really KNOW that her retirement would have caused rejoicing and a tremendous sense of liberation and I would have been right in there, dancing in the Square. Could she have retired in 1972?

Old Girls of the time - please tell!
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Hey, Ajarn Philip is back. Welcome back Philip - we have missed you. I do hope all is well with you and that we will be hearing from you much more frequently. Take care.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Pixie
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Pixie »

Angela Woodford wrote:Had she, Mary?

This is indeed perplexing news. You were a year younger than I! SWMNBN was still in power when I left. I know, I really KNOW that her retirement would have caused rejoicing and a tremendous sense of liberation and I would have been right in there, dancing in the Square. Could she have retired in 1972?

Old Girls of the time - please tell!
I think she was still there in our final year. Despite my hazy memory about CH in general I'm sure I would have remembered if she'd left before me!
3.8 65-72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I'm with Pixie again. BUT, in Upper Sixth I made a plaid cape and I am sure it was SWMNBN who said it was very simple (it was) but at least I had matched the plaid.
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

I'm sure you're all right about SWMNBN's not having retired by 1972. I wasn't really sure. But might she have had a sabbatical?

I had a plaid cape too - they must have been in fashion. But my mum made mine (and she matched the pattern beautifully on the seams and the hand-slits). I wish I'd kept it.
Mary
CH 1965-1972