Expelled

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

anniexf
Button Grecian

Re: Expelled

Post by anniexf »

A girl in my year was expelled for bringing a bottle of wine in for her birthday party. This was about 1958. Her mother was summoned to remove her immediately.
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

I have a vague memory that our own Jason Flemyng was expelled or "asked to leave": He was caught up in some theft or something in Horsham.
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

I think having sex on the grounds (and being caught) was grounds for expulsion in my day.
Funnily enough, rules on inappropriate behaviour have been tightened up recently; I believe pupils are now expelled if they are so much as found in a locked room with a member of the opposite sex - no proof of actual intercourse is required!!

Chatting to parents of the current GE at the recent parents day it is apparent that some are anxious that their children will not be allowed to return in September if they fail to achieve the required minimum six A grades at GCSE - not the same thing as expulsion, I know, but a real concern for parents nevertheless. As the results don't come in until late August, pupils failing to make the grade will have virtually no time to find an alternative school place, which is a very real worry for some families.
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

ailurophile wrote:
I think having sex on the grounds (and being caught) was grounds for expulsion in my day.

Chatting to parents of the current GE at the recent parents day it is apparent that some are anxious that their children will not be allowed to return in September if they fail to achieve the required minimum six A grades at GCSE - not the same thing as expulsion, I know, but a real concern for parents nevertheless. As the results don't come in until late August, pupils failing to make the grade will have virtually no time to find an alternative school place, which is a very real worry for some families.

This was still very much in evidence in my day when you had to have a minmum 5 O levels but not necessarily A grade. English Language and Maths were
obligatory though. However we knew our results a lot earleir than late August. I got a C in Maths and in English language...just scraped in then!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

ailurophile wrote:
What's the situation re fees, if you're obliged to withdraw a child who doesn't get the six A grades - do you still have to cough up a term's fees in lieu of notice, or do they let you off?
Mr Moobs
2nd Former

Post by Mr Moobs »

In my day, there didn't seem to be any real attempt by the school authorities to try to understand the reasons for boys' misbehaviour. School Rules were simply applied blindly and you were caned, caned-and-rusticated or expelled according to the supposed gravity of your offence.

I sincerely hope that if kids get caught stealing these days, they're sat down and asked why they did it...and made to return the item or reimburse the owner...and made to apologise....and placed under the wing of somebody understanding rather than grim. Simply booting kids out doesn't help them or help society, it's just a form of sweeping a problem under the carpet. If a school like CH can't be bothered to try to mould kids in a positive way, then surely it's lost touch to a certain extent with its own principles.

I think back with regret to how the very-memorable Phil Osedumme was treated in my day (1970s). He was a lad who simply couldn't understand why school rules meant that he had to do certain things, why he would get into trouble if he didn't do those things, why he would get into trouble if he argued with the staff, why he would get into trouble if he tried to do things his own way, why he would get into trouble just for being himself. The poor guy spent half his life doing drills and detentions and his name was a byword for disobedience throughout the school....and yet these days he would immediately be recognised as possibly suffering from something out of the Asperger drawer and suddenly his behaviour would make sense. He wasn't a bad bloke at all, he just needed understanding (but didn't get any, just detentions).

One hopes things have changed bigtime at CH re. bothering to understand that there's a reason for everything.
Last edited by Mr Moobs on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ma.A & Col.B
TrueBlue
3rd Former

Post by TrueBlue »

Only very rarely are pupils expelled these days. It is not seen as being in their best long term interest, and normally where a pupil does not fit a particular school, that school will seek to help the parents find one where they will. In these cases the pupil is withdrawn under mutual agreement. When a pupil is expelled, insurers et al will be involved - recall the recent case which went all the way to the Court of Appeal, and that pupil had had hundreds of recorded warnings. Fees in lieu are not normally payable in either circumstance, nor are they applicable when a pupil does not achieve sufficient grades at GCSE to stay on - in fact of course the parents are perhaps much more likely to sue on the grounds of "failure to educate".
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

englishangel wrote:me too please, I don't remember this.

Daughter has just signed up with an agency and said she is willing to do nudity. don't think she has the (ahem) assets for Page 3 tho'. She does NOT take after me in that department.
Have PM'd you englishangel. Good luck to your daughter with the modelling!
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

I remember there was a crackdown in my last term at CH on everything. I think something like 51 people were rusticated (I love that word!!) in a week for just about every offence going, including deliberatley breaking a window.

And the previous term my German class (8 people!!) was reduced by 25% because Ricky Stevens was sent home for going to a rock concert in London when he'd been previously told not to go and I was sent for "an early bath" for having a girl in my dormitory (I would have gotten away with it too if someone hadn't grassed us up!!). The school were quite nice about it as I managed to get them to pay for my train ticket... My Dad was less charitable though :lol: There were 10 people from my year all sent home for various things that same week!

There weren't that many people kicked out from what I remember when I was there. There was a guy on my squits 2 years above me in Maine B (Tim Wilson I think?) who was asked to go, and also Rick Hadley on the year above me (who I believe was clearly unhappy at the school) got into so much trouble he was pretty much shown the door. One girl left on my LE (can't remember her name) but no-one really knew why so of course there were no end of rumours about pregnancy etc. And there was a guy who was kicked out on the year below who called the fire brigade to an imaginary fire at the theatre...
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Tommy wrote:I remember there was a crackdown in my last term at CH on everything. I think something like 51 people were rusticated (I love that word!!) in a week for just about every offence going, including deliberatley breaking a window.

And the previous term my German class (8 people!!) was reduced by 25% because Ricky Stevens was sent home for going to a rock concert in London when he'd been previously told not to go and I was sent for "an early bath" for having a girl in my dormitory (I would have gotten away with it too if someone hadn't grassed us up!!). The school were quite nice about it as I managed to get them to pay for my train ticket... My Dad was less charitable though :lol: There were 10 people from my year all sent home for various things that same week!

There weren't that many people kicked out from what I remember when I was there. There was a guy on my squits 2 years above me in Maine B (Tim Wilson I think?) who was asked to go, and also Rick Hadley on the year above me (who I believe was clearly unhappy at the school) got into so much trouble he was pretty much shown the door. One girl left on my LE (can't remember her name) but no-one really knew why so of course there were no end of rumours about pregnancy etc. And there was a guy who was kicked out on the year below who called the fire brigade to an imaginary fire at the theatre...

10 out of 10 for inginuity. After all, that's what theatre's all about !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Tommy wrote: Rick Hadley on the year above me (who I believe was clearly unhappy at the school) got into so much trouble he was pretty much shown the door..
He was my year but Maine B/A

Once sent back home after a holiday by Grimshaw as he had shaved his grips completely off and needed to grow them back - he tried to colour them in with boot polish instead .

Also sent off in a rugby match within 5s of start - caught the kick off ran towards us shouting "die you nazi b'stards" Mr West i believe was refereeing and sent him straight off.

Other people who "left" were Piers Fletcher and a couple of years below me a guy whose father was landlord of the boars head - he was a kleptomaniac who was found when his trunk was searched to have hundreds of pounds of goods stolen from Horsham - i think his name was Perman
LJG
3rd Former

Post by LJG »

Yes they are still expelled but they term it permanently excluded now. There has been one that I know of this academic year, but there may be more.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Apart from one or two notable instances, the exclusion discipline from Hertford sounds positively tame against that from Horsham - both before and after the merger.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

wurzel wrote: Also sent off in a rugby match within 5s of start - caught the kick off ran towards us shouting "die you nazi b'stards" Mr West i believe was refereeing and sent him straight off.
I love it; you should have shouted back with something appropriate (a Jewish theme comes to mind). That way you would both have had the afternoon off.

Yes, refs have absolutely no sense of humour. One time I broke out of a scrum still head down and hard into a delicate place of the stupid referee who got in the way of play - I hadn't seen him. After he recovered I was off
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

I only discovered at an OB Day some years ago that someone senior to me in my own house had been sacked, allegedly for being caught with one of the domestics.

The drill I think used to be that the miscreant was immediately sent off to the sicker to be isolated while arrangements were made for his removal. For me to know this, somebody else must have been sacked that I did know about, but I have no recollection of name or sordid details now.

I do remember a row about some bottles of home-brew cider being found under the floorboards of the Scout hut, but I don't recall anyone being booted for it. Also some sort of fuss about homoing going on in the balcony of Big School during the School Concert but again the details escape me.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'