CH food

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Re: CH food

Post by Euterpe13 »

englishangel wrote:I still think of Miss Wilson every time I see the titles of East Enders. (Not often)
since I have been out of UK since the Ice Age, can you explain why ?

ta muchly
B
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Euterpe13 wrote:
englishangel wrote:I still think of Miss Wilson every time I see the titles of East Enders. (Not often)

ta muchly
B
The titles show an overhead shot of East London with the Millennium Dome in the curve of the Thames. Another few thousand years and there will be an oxbow lake there and the Thames will run straight across south of the Dome. Providing global warming doesn't get there first.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

englishangel wrote:
Euterpe13 wrote:

ta muchly
B
The titles show an overhead shot of East London with the Millennium Dome in the curve of the Thames. Another few thousand years and there will be an oxbow lake there and the Thames will run straight across south of the Dome. Providing global warming doesn't get there first.
Angel - you and your Oxbow lakes!! you make me laugh so much!!!! but those who come after us know little or nothing of interlocking spurs, silt deposits (which help to make up your Oxbow lakes) and other geographical terminonlogy - I sometimes wonder if it was all Miss Wilson knew - Everytime I drive up to the Lake District or Scotland I yell out oy kids look at those interlocking spurs, and that valley was created by the intense dragging of boulders in the ice age - in fact they even know that the valley we live in has been created by interlocking spurs and no doubt a dried out Oxbow lake - : we live in the 5 valleys of Gloucestershire - and like living in any valley we get lots of extra rummbling of thunder storms due to them getting stuck down here!! :lol:
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Jude wrote:
englishangel wrote:
Euterpe13 wrote: since I have been out of UK since the Ice Age, can you explain why ?

ta muchly
B
Angel - you and your Oxbow lakes!! you make me laugh so much!!!! but those who come after us know little or nothing of interlocking spurs, silt deposits (which help to make up your Oxbow lakes) and other geographical terminonlogy - I sometimes wonder if it was all Miss Wilson knew - Everytime I drive up to the Lake District or Scotland I yell out oy kids look at those interlocking spurs, and that valley was created by the intense dragging of boulders in the ice age - in fact they even know that the valley we live in has been created by interlocking spurs and no doubt a dried out Oxbow lake - : we live in the 5 valleys of Gloucestershire - and like living in any valley we get lots of extra rummbling of thunder storms due to them getting stuck down here!! :lol:
And the hard rocks which get left behind called moutons if I remember correctly.

I am sure Barbara will correect me if I don't. :lol:

speaking of the Lake District. I am going to start a new thread.

The things children say. It will be in General Non CH
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

And I think of Miss Jukes every time I see this.

Subject: Delia vs Real Women

Delia's Way 1
Stuff a miniature marshmallow in the bottom of a sugar cone to prevent ice cream drips.

Real Women's Way
Suck the ice cream out of the bottom of the cone, for God's sake. You are probably lying on the couch with your feet up eating it anyway.

Delia's Way 2
To keep potatoes from budding, place an apple in the bag with the potatoes.

The Real Women's Way
Buy Smash mashed potato mix and keep it in the pantry for up to a year.

Delia's Way 3
When a cake recipe calls for flouring the baking tin, use a bit of the dry cake mix instead and there won't be any white mess on the outside of the cake.

The Real Women's Way
Tesco's sell cakes. They even do decorated versions.

Delia's Way 4
If you accidentally over-salt a dish while it's still cooking, drop in a potato slice.

The Real Women's Way
If you over salt a dish while you are cooking, that's tough sh*t. Please recite with me the Real Women's motto: "I made it and you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes."

Delia's Way 5
Wrap celery in aluminium foil when putting in the refrigerator and it will keep for weeks.

The Real Women's Way
It could keep forever. Who eats it?

Delia's Way 6
Brush some beaten egg white over piecrust before baking to yield a beautiful glossy finish.

The Real Women's Way
Sainsbury's frozen pie directions do not include brushing any egg white over the crust so I don't do that.

Delia's Way 7
Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half and rub it on your forehead. The throbbing will go away.

The Real Women's Way
Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half and drop it in 8 ounces of tequila. Drink the tequila. You might still have the headache, but who gives a sh*t?

Delia's Way 8
If you have a problem opening jars, try using latex dishwashing gloves.
They give a non-slip grip that makes opening jars easy.

The Real Women's Way
What's the point of blokes then?

And finally the most important tip - Delia's Way 9
Freeze leftover wine into ice cubes for future use in casseroles and sauces.

The Real Women's Way
Leftover wine???? Hello!!!!!
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

englishangel wrote:
Jude wrote:
englishangel wrote: The titles show an overhead shot of East London with the Millennium Dome in the curve of the Thames. Another few thousand years and there will be an oxbow lake there and the Thames will run straight across south of the Dome. Providing global warming doesn't get there first.
And the hard rocks which get left behind called moutons if I remember correctly.

I am sure Barbara will correect me if I don't. :lol:

speaking of the Lake District. I am going to start a new thread.

The things children say. It will be in General Non CH
Oh heavens , you remind me of all the rubbish I've never managed to forget ... thanks for the laugh ! ( and yes, they are moutons !)
B
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Late lunch today Barabara?
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

re. Mary's post above on cooking ( which is being sent illico to my daughter9.... I used to have ( until someone nicked it) a copy of Curnonsky's cookery book - the sort of thing which starts a recipe for fruit cake with " take 12 eggs, half a litre of fresh cream, 2 cups of napoleon brandy..." -

I actually used them at times when I was cooking at the auberge, but also thought of Miss Jukes when, for example, the instructions said to " discard mirepoix after marination" - what , chuck away 2 kilos of finely diced fresh veggies that have been soaking in Pomerol for 48 hours? Not bl**dy likely !

And I wont even mention how I make my béchamel these days - she'd probably come and haunt me...
B
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

englishangel wrote:Late lunch today Barabara?
no - just having an " intellectual coffee break " - I've been at since 7.10 your time, so .....

I like the new photo, although one wonders why you changed it ??
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Just for a change. this is it writ large
Last edited by englishangel on Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:Just for a change
I thought the other one was FAR better.

(Note to Doctor: 'Extra blood-pressure tablets not now required.'
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

My goodness, Mary , you have improved since the 70's !!

by the way, do you ever actually work ? only you seem to be on here all the time.....
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

That pic is about 5 years old now. It is the red wine that does it.

I am doing a course by distance learnign. should be back working (outside the home) by Christmas. (I hope)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:That pic is about 5 years old now. It is the red wine that does it.

I am doing a course by distance learnign. should be back working (outside the home) by Christmas. (I hope)
Jilly Goolden, eat yer heart out !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

What's the distance lernign course on then (sorry I couldn't resist it).