Proud Father

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Congratulations ! :lol:

Look at it like this..............................

....................your troubles are just starting !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Proud Father

Post by Mid A 15 »

The "little one" referred to at the start of this thread got her "A" level results today and succeeded in getting in to her first choice, UEA.

We have had a lot of ups and downs of late as a family but she has remained focused through it all.

We are extremely proud of her.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Well done 'Little one' - did she continue with the Maths and Stats? I remember she had some difficulties at the start of the course. I hope she is very happy at UEA.

I don't think I will ever forget the face of my little one when he came to tell me he'd been accepted at his first choice, he had ABC when he needed BBB, and theoretically could have been refused. I swear the grin came through the door before he did!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

That's great news!

I'm a proud father... Josh is such a great boy! :)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

"Middle" daughter (the subject of the first post on this thread) is now a Master of Research (M Res) in Theatre and Contemporary Practice.

A combination of studying on the course together with working and travelling abroad subsequently accounts for the 4 year gap.

Her proud parents and "Little One" attended the graduation ceremony on Friday.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Excellent news.

My daughter also got a 2:1 at Canterbury Christ Church and is now looking for a job in TV or film, she has something on Tuesday and Wednesday (not sure what) and an interview on Thursday. Not bad considering she was on the edge of exclusion at both primary and secondary school.

# 1son also now has a confirmed place at the University of Kent (also in Canterbury) so another case of "if I knew then what I know now", we could have bought a property which would have been occupied for 6 years. (If we could have afforded it)

I bumped into his best mate from school who he hadn't seen for ages who asked me how James was.
"Going to Uni." I said"
"James, are we talking about the James who never went to school?"
"Yes"
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Congratulations, and good luck with the job search.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

My daughter also got a 2:1 from Durham.

Is currently working for CHEL until mid August - then the Job Centre might become a familiar destination!
She has absolutely no idea what she`d like to do.
Might just have to make do with babysitting and her charity shop volunteering and hope something more profitable turns up.

Anyone know of anything going fairly locally?? (has use of car, can travel!)
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

How about selling Usborne Books?

I'm an usborne organiser and I'm looking to recruit! I'm based in Finland but looking for recruits anywhere in EU (including UK, of course!) It's a great job cos it fits around kids, other jobs etc - and you can do as much or as little as you want, so build it up while you're looking for another job and then just keep it ticking over when you have one!

more details here http://www.usborneonline.org/MariaVatanen

Maria
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Congratulations to all the Intelligentsia mentioned on this Thread and also to the proud Parents.

I can lay claim to only one of these achievements --- and it ain't Graduation !
My excuse ---- apart from being Bone Idle --- was that, in the 1940s a place at University (NOT "Uni") was difficult.
I was offered a place at Bristol, in later life, but with, at that time, a Wife two Children and a Greyhound to support -- I had to decline !

Our greatest Family achievement, in this field, is a Master's in Nursing, which Julia managed,at home, with only A levels and no intermediate Bsc !

When I say "Family" -- I am stretching it, as she is my younger (52) Son's Partner. :roll:

I am in awe of this woman (40)---- having her first child (Josh) som 18 months ago, and having trained at Great Ormond Street Children's ----- She chose her Hospital (Warwick) and her Obstetrician and remarked to him, after some hours of Labour,--------- "I think we have both had enough of this --- shall we go for a Caesarian ?" --- He agreed ! :shock:

I am, as you probably know -- festooned with Nurses ---- TBA, Julia, and Mireille (Wife of elder(57) Son) Director of Nurse Training, for a Group of Swiss hospitals.---------- I am seeking -- STILL --- Care and Attention. __ No chance ! :oops:
I have reached, a reasonably fit, 82, despite good advice !!! :evil: :wine:
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

"Little One" now has a 2:1 in her own right so all three of my daughters have now achieved first degrees with the older two having obtained post grad qualifications too.

I can't believe 6 years have elapsed since I first started this thread! :o
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Congratulations, Andy, to you and to your successful family. Though I must say that, not realising the timeline on this thread, I was taken aback to come across a posting from the late lamented Midget, and another from Neill the Notorious who has been silent for the last month or so - which is the subject of another thread on this Forum. Notwithstanding those, huge congratuations to you and your family, anyway.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Congratulations, Andy, to you and to your successful family. Though I must say that, not realising the timeline on this thread, I was taken aback to come across a posting from the late lamented Midget, and another from Neill the Notorious who has been silent for the last month or so - which is the subject of another thread on this Forum. Notwithstanding those, huge congratuations to you and your family, anyway.

Still no response to my e-mail !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Congratulations Andy, what a family! :D
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Thank you for your kind remarks everyone.

Yes Kerren it gave me a bit of a jolt too looking back through this thread.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72