Reports

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Reports

Post by SAS »

Does anyone know when we can expect to receive their reports? Always assuming that we do get one, that is. My daughter has just finished second form and is going mad waiting for the post every day. Her brother and sister (in state schools) have already had theirs!
Laura12
3rd Former

Re: Reports

Post by Laura12 »

I think it's in August after the A/L results come out.
I can't remember why it's so late but I think they wait for the A/L's for some reason.
My son is in 3rd form so I'm trying to think back to last year and when I was asking the same thing !
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

Have just heard from the school that they are in the post along with the head's letter etc etc. Obviously takes a long time to get all the way up the A1 to us though!
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

I believe that the delay is because there is a great deal of 'stuff' included in the same envelope to avoid sending more than one envelople. There is the school diary -which may not be completed or come back from the printer until after term has ended . All next term's admin is in the same envelope and various letters-that's why there is a bit of a delay.It's a time consuming job -getting 800 envelopes filled with all the necessary paperwork I suppose.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Reports! Are these documents still called reports?

(I was amazed that my children's Comprehensive issued each pupil with a huge and splendid dark red multi compartmented folder for "Statements of Achievement" in which the good stuff they'd done was enthusiastically ackknowledged. :shock:

Oh - the misery of my reports arriving home in the perfectly-hand-written envelope. Mistress after mistress making terse comments in the small space allocated per subject and worst of all, a horrible discouraging bit at the bottom from DR.

A comment from Miss Champion in the third form about my handwriting - in a huge illegible black script? Was it actually in Irish? My father couldn't read it.)

Do modern pupils have interviews - sorry, evaluations? Expect so!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Angela Woodford wrote: A comment from Miss Champion in the third form about my handwriting - in a huge illegible black script? Was it actually in Irish? My father couldn't read it.
Same here, except mine was written in green. I think it said something like, "Mary's handwriting lacks maturity"
Dad's comment, "She has a nerve!"

Incidentally, my handwriting still lacks maturity, but at least you can read it.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

How could you possibly have had mature handwriting aged 11, Mary?

Funny old Champo!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Champo or was it possibly Miss Morrison, described my handwriting like a spider with hiccups! I always thought I was the only one who didn't really like Champo, it's interesting to hear now there were also others who didn't get on with her . She said I was 'aloof' in my first report at Hertford. But she was a popular teacher with the new girls I remember.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Angela Woodford wrote
I was amazed that my children's Comprehensive issued each pupil with a huge and splendid dark red multi compartmented folder for "Statements of Achievement" in which the good stuff they'd done was enthusiastically acknowledged.
When my DS applied to our local state sixth form college earlier this year, he was asked to bring his 'Record of Achievement' to interview; I asked the school, and was told that CH do not have anything equivalent. Fortunately a copy of his latest glowing report sufficed to impress his interviewer and gain him an offer!

However, now that he has completed his GCSEs and left CH, we were rather surprised to receive a final 'report' which consists of just a single paragraph from his Housemaster, more akin to a reference than anything. I do feel that leavers might expect to have at least some comment from the Head on these reports, and perhaps a brief summary of their achievements during their school career which would serve as something for them to look back on as well as being potentially useful to support future college or job applications.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

ailurophile wrote:
However, now that he has completed his GCSEs and left CH, we were rather surprised to receive a final 'report' which consists of just a single paragraph from his Housemaster, more akin to a reference than anything. I do feel that leavers might expect to have at least some comment from the Head on these reports, and perhaps a brief summary of their achievements during their school career which would serve as something for them to look back on as well as being potentially useful to support future college or job applications.
No change on 1961 then. I am told (but never saw) that Kit did a two liner saying that I was a good organiser.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

It sounds a bit like mine from 1952. General conduct "Very good, though must try not to be moody when over anxious"
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

So like DR, Maggie.

No question of investigating the reasons why you should have been in an over-anxious state!

I'm quite surprised that the modern CH doesn't have it's own version of the "Records of Achievent" file. I was pleased to have been able to fish out ours before interviews to support various applications.... and they'll make a nostalgic read for the future. Maybe present day pupils will put together something of the kind for themselves - a team photo, certificates from an study day (?) + staff evaluations, drama productions, the Band... that sort of thing?
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

When I had achieved some "Status" in Life and Society (!!!!!)

My Father handed me an envelope, containing all my CH Reports from 3rd Form to Dep Grecian, ---- with the remark

"If you are ever feeling important --- and above yourself --- read those ! "

A VERY good lesson in Humility ! :oops:

I still have them ------ in the Safe !!!
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

Most of my reports seemed to concentrate on my hand writing. Bill Kirby said that he looked forward to the time when I had a secretary. Still, I did not have to worry so much about my spelling, both before an after.
When I left, 1953, we were given a Certificate of Discharge; I gather that these have been discontinued.
Col A 1946-1953
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Sounds more like something you would get from a "clinic" David.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"