rugby socks

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Iguana
3rd Former

rugby socks

Post by Iguana »

Does anyone know where you can get extra big navy blue rugby socks? -Size 13 plus. I've tried everywhere. If possible 2 pairs of good quality ones would be preferable. I tried Kukri who do make plain blue with cotton bottoms but I would have had to have a minimum quantity of 100! As his feet are still growing I really don't want to buy ones that shrink in the wash the first time and have to go to thrift shop almost new! School colours would be a real bonus.
Iguana
3rd Former

Re: rugby socks

Post by Iguana »

He's LE not 2nd former but it's still quite big for his age!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Try Margaret Wadman, at the CH Association, the School must have met this problem before.

It is the sort of esoteric question that Wendy Killner would have loved !!!
MrsAverage
2nd Former

Post by MrsAverage »

Try the thrift shop at CH - we've had most sports kit from there over the years, and donated it back when out grown . We took in some enormous socks about a year ago when we realised he'd never grow into them!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

http://www.lovell-rugby.co.uk/Rugby-Acc ... ff35ab85d5

Not sure of the sizes but Lovell seem to do big ones.

Nike also do size 13 navy rugby socks
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

My children play rugby and I got them dark blue rugby socks from JJB for £4.99 a pair they lasted last season fine and that was Sep-May
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Like Wurzel, I buy a lot of our sports kit from a cheap chain store locally (used to be called Hargreaves, but I think they've had a name change recently) - I don't know if they stock socks in size 13 plus, but as so many boys have enormous feet nowadays I wouldn't be surprised. Is it just me, or are feet getting bigger?! I remember my dad, who was 6'4" with size 11 feet, used to have trouble finding shoes, but this size doesn't seem uncommon nowadays for boys in their teens.

BTW, are CH still using Kukri as their supplier? I'd understood from our matron that they'd dropped them because they were "rubbish"!
Iguana
3rd Former

Post by Iguana »

Thanks for the tip off re Lovells. I have just managed a very nice pair of boots in a size 13 and enjoyed the shopping experience. The staff were extremely courteous, knowledgeable, and the site worked really well and now i am all set up for getting ready to find size 14 boots next season! Still if it makes him run faster then its worth it. They provided lovely socks too. Kukri were supposed to be getting me one pair of palin blue large ones but it never happened and i opted out of buying them in bulk. Broadbridges don't have large socks. Perhaps it is something school might be able to look into as it's not much point having a bursary to help if they don't stock the sizes and I think you can only use it in their shop.
I hope they return to a simpler sports kit ASAP. Broadbridges told me they had trouble getting hopd of the kit too. I can't believe how expensive kukri kit is. The Ch association rugby shirt is nice and not as expensive.
Should we start a petition for cost efficient clothing. I know the teams need to be recognisable but I don't think looing elitist is anything to aspire too.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Iguana wrote: I can't believe how expensive kukri kit is. The Ch association rugby shirt is nice and not as expensive.
Should we start a petition for cost efficient clothing. I know the teams need to be recognisable but I don't think looing elitist is anything to aspire too.
There is a trade off. I posted recently that my CH rugby socks have (almost) comer to the end of their lives - but see below when I was at CH. Last summer I unfortunately destroyed a much appreciated rugby shirt; it got caught in the grass cutter and stalled the towing tractor via its power takeoff. When you pay a lot the stuff should last and last and ......
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Iguana
3rd Former

Post by Iguana »

I agree that if you get what you pay for hten fair enough but expensive for the sake of it is not so cool. I do still have my school rucksack and school hiking boots. My kids think my rucksack really cool (no frame). They will be of use in a museum one day! I also still have my A4 files emblazoned with the school crest which i rather liked and lasted through uni servicibly. We just had to buy our own at the comp! I think it would be more sensible to have something a bit more practical though. You cannot buy kukri socks above size 11 which is mghty small these days and even despite contacting them and requesting they add a couple of pairs for me next time they did an order I never got them. I gave up. We're not talking fancy either, only blue!
On a happy note the tip off to Lovells was well worth it and my little LE all six foot of him was well chuffed with his new football boots which being leather i hope will stretch as he grows! :-D
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

You're welcome, it was me wasn't it? seems a long time ago now.

Now known as Lady Google, not to be confused with the other one beginning with G.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

I`d just like to give another plug for the Thrift Shop - newly refurbished - and bursting at the seams from what I could see the other day!
It really is a good source of sports kit
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Iguana
3rd Former

Post by Iguana »

Just to let you know as Kukri still haven't found me any rugby socks despite their promises to find me some I have now made the HM aware and would encourage anyone else who has had any poor or similar experiences to make people in authority aware too. I gather Kukri are still going to be the suppliers. I also wonder about the ethical stance of getting school children to advertise (by wearing the compnay logo on the sportswear) a company. I do remember a programme on radio 4 once where they were talking about coca cola putting drinks machines into schools and donating money to the school at the same time and one head very sensibly explaining how much it cost him in terms of teacher time in health education and that the drinks machines would be completely undermining that teaching. If Kukri are generously supporting the school that is one thing and they could be acknowledged on the website or similar but by having their logo on our sportswear our children are advertising that company.
By the way I had exceptional service from a company called Lovells who were efficient helpful and went beyond the normal customer service and found me some football boots that fitted brilliantly and I siad I would recommend them to others which I am now doing. They were able to give advice on their boots and advised me brillliantly on which ones were most suited and my son is very happy with what they sent us. It was very fast service too. You can also return if not used and in original condition. They do lovells rugby and lovells football. They have some real bargains on the site.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

with regards to the thrift shop, is it only open for new parents on the new entrants day, or can we come and browse when it isn't so busy?
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

pinkhebe wrote:with regards to the thrift shop, is it only open for new parents on the new entrants day, or can we come and browse when it isn't so busy?
They will open for you at any mutually agreeable time. A very lovely matron called Helen runs it I will PM you her contact details.