Barnes A Parents

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Re: Barnes A Parents

Post by Great Plum »

Caron,

I have watched this topic for quite some time and am really pleased to see your daughter's repsonse to this all... I didn't want to write anything before but I know, (from being the son of houseparents at the school) what a difficult line that it is to take for them - even the most perfect may not get it entirely right. It is true, in my experience, that house parents are often very strict when they first start out - I guess if they didn't lay down the law to start, they would always be playing catch up!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

carong wrote:
sejintenej wrote:Caron
Although I am glad to hear that you think everything is OK I think that it is your daughter's attitude which is the real victory.

She has learned to look at the subject from every angle - not just her own - and to make a careful (and sensible) judgement based on all the facts - not just those which would suit her. You should be proud of her and the environment which taught that to her.

David
Thank you David, and I am immensely proud of her!

Caron
and so you should be!
She`s shown such a mature attitude to this ..... and she`s a lovely girl!
I remember my girls - both BaA, saying she was by far the nicest girl in the house!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
carong
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by carong »

Mrs C. wrote: and so you should be!
I remember my girls - both BaA, saying she was by far the nicest girl in the house!
Ah, that's really nice! And I will pass it on, thank you!

I'm proud of her anyway, but despite all of this she has made Band Captain for next year, so I'm extra quadruply proud!!

Caron
Caron Garrod (nee Haskell)

2:38 1976 - 1979
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

carong wrote:
Mrs C. wrote: and so you should be!
Ah, that's really nice! And I will pass it on, thank you!

I'm proud of her anyway, but despite all of this she has made Band Captain for next year, so I'm extra quadruply proud!!

Caron

I wasn`t sure whether you wanted that made public which is why I didn`t mention it..! And my congrats to her!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

We are ALL proud of her...................especially the Hertford OBs who contributed to the collective presentation fund which enabled her to get to Horsham in the first place. And of course the most proudest person is her Governor......
PS Caron, are you sure she's your's?
Only joking.....
And when is the Forum going to know about Guy's Tower? How is it going?

PPS.. What does the Band Captain actually have to do? It sounds very important and is featured as the most senior position on the Band webpage, but there are no details. I can't imagine her tossing things into the air or anything.....and I'm not sure that a saxophone can give a pitch for tuning other instruments?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
carong
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by carong »

kerrensimmonds wrote:We are ALL proud of her...................especially the Hertford OBs who contributed to the collective presentation fund which enabled her to get to Horsham in the first place.
PS Caron, are you sure she's your's?
Only joking.....
And when is the Forum going to know about Guy's Tower? How is it going?
I've asked myself once or twice if she's mine ... but I was there!!

Guy's Tower is going very well. I'll post up a topic. We've been overwhelmed at the support we've got from Old Girls.

Caron

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Wonderful!
Where will you be on 28 August?
Kerren Simmonds
carong
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by carong »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Wonderful!
Where will you be on 28 August?
On the ground, staring upwards, with my heart firmly in my mouth!!

I was going to post a message about Guy's Tower, but then I saw the posting about the Forum being short of money, so didn't really feel it was appropriate :oops:

Anyone who's curious about why my daughter is going to abseil 450ft from the Guy's Hospital Tower on 28th August can visit her page http://original.justgiving.com/georgiagarrod

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Yay... that's great. You must have had more by snail mail? I had a number of people who said that they would not donate online so I had to give them your address. Hope the pledges are flooding in! And now it's more 'public' on the Forum, hopefully other people will support her. As Phyllis said ...'just don't look down'.......it's a hell of a long way! Guys Tower is higher than the London Eye. What a girl. And Marie Curie Cancer Care is a great charity for her to be supporting. We all know or knew of someone who needs/needed their help.
Kerren Simmonds
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Just sent mine by snail mail.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
carong
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by carong »

Thanks Midget!

Caron

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

kerrensimmonds wrote:PPS.. What does the Band Captain actually have to do? It sounds very important and is featured as the most senior position on the Band webpage, but there are no details. I can't imagine her tossing things into the air or anything.....and I'm not sure that a saxophone can give a pitch for tuning other instruments?
Well, from 1978..........

Conduct the drum rolls at Band Parade (the most visible function), lock the Music School every night, form the band into ranks before parade (although this mostly happened automatically), generally be the eyes and ears of the Bandmaster, and, importantly, roll the Bandmaster's fags when he was driving the minibus back from any away trips (e.g. St. Matthews Day brass group practice).
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Oh, and have your name recorded on the board in the Band Room. Mine's still there..........
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Richard Ruck wrote:
kerrensimmonds wrote:PPS.. What does the Band Captain actually have to do? It sounds very important and is featured as the most senior position on the Band webpage, but there are no details. I can't imagine her tossing things into the air or anything.....and I'm not sure that a saxophone can give a pitch for tuning other instruments?
Well, from 1978..........

Conduct the drum rolls at Band Parade (the most visible function), lock the Music School every night, form the band into ranks before parade (although this mostly happened automatically), generally be the eyes and ears of the Bandmaster, and, importantly, roll the Bandmaster's fags when he was driving the minibus back from any away trips (e.g. St. Matthews Day brass group practice).

Dear Old Mr 'Bill' B always relied on tailor-mades - Can't recall which brand - Cue John H ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.