The Pedant's Revolt

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: The Pedant's Revolt

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

J.R. wrote:................. nor me, Neill.

He and his family are money-grabbing layabouts.

Angela -- you disappoint me ! I expected a terse comment about "NOR I " !
This is the Pedant's Revolt !!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Have begun new diet and fitness régime, and, having completed mostly uphill Power Walk, am too knackered for pedantry!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Removed by author; intended as pm.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:
J.R. wrote:................. nor me, Neill.

He and his family are money-grabbing layabouts.

Angela -- you disappoint me ! I expected a terse comment about "NOR I " !
This is the Pedant's Revolt !!

THIS MADE ME LAUGH !!!!
http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/p ... ey/3759707
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I am beginning to wonder, if I CARE any more ------

HRH The Prince of Wales ---- "This is somewhere I like coming to---"

and the BBC's continued use of split infinitives------ and qualified ablolutes --- is very unique !

The Blessed Mr Malins who taught me English must be spinning in his grave !!

HE thought it mattered that we should speak and write English, in the current form, although, having studied Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales" for School Certificate -- (What was that ?") I appreciate that it is a developing Language.

I wonder how strictly, it is being taught at CH, these days ?
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Neill - the only reason that classical scholars get uptight about split infinitives is that it was not possible to do it in Latin because it was all one word (although the Germans are happy to insert something into the middle of a word?). I confess that I do try to avoid splitting infinitives, but I really have no idea why! Mind you, I have been known to use the subjunctive where appropriate, to the puzzlement of others - 'if I were you' etc.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I am beginning to wonder, if I CARE any more ------

and the BBC's continued use of split infinitives------ and qualified ablolutes --- is very unique !

HE thought it mattered that we should speak and write English, in the current form, although, having studied Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales" for School Certificate -- (What was that ?") where's the , I appreciate that it is a developing Language.

Definitely :cry: :cry: :cry:
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Fjgrogan wrote:Neill - the only reason that classical scholars get uptight about split infinitives is that it was not possible to do it in Latin because it was all one word (although the Germans are happy to insert something into the middle of a word?). I confess that I do try to avoid splitting infinitives, but I really have no idea why! Mind you, I have been known to use the subjunctive where appropriate, to the puzzlement of others - 'if I were you' etc.
Frances is correct - there is no historical evidence of a split infinitive being considered poor grammar. It's another of those affectations that people adopt to demonstrate that their use of English is "better" than other people's.
sejintenej wrote: NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I am beginning to wonder, if I CARE any more ------

HE thought it mattered that we should speak and write English, in the current form, although, having studied Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales" for School Certificate -- (What was that ?") where's the , I appreciate that it is a developing Language.

Definitely :cry: :cry: :cry:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I STILL say "It is I" ---- and I'm too old to change !! --- It may be "Affected" but I have been affected by all sorts of things for far too long !
(Some of them quite un-mentionable !)
:lol: :lol:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I STILL say "It is I" ---- and I'm too old to change !! --- It may be "Affected" but I have been affected by all sorts of things for far too long !
(Some of them quite un-mentionable !)
:lol: :lol:
What is wrong with that expression? IMHO it can be very validly included to emphasise that it is the speaker (rather than somebody else) who ....................

"It is I who gives them permission to go into that garden" sounds more definite and unchallengable than "I am giving them permission .........."

as for being otherwise affected - "chacun a son gout" (if it turns you on then go for it but don't tell TBA)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

We had an email from a very educated gentleman today which said "Perhaps you could take Simon and I tomorrow". Even the people in the office who would not recognise a split infinitive if it gave them a kiss winced at that one.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote:We had an email from a very educated gentleman today which said "Perhaps you could take Simon and I tomorrow". Even the people in the office who would not recognise a split infinitive if it gave them a kiss winced at that one.
Could you please define your second adjective? educated perhaps, literate? very perhaps?

and I commit hundreds of howlers like incorrect positioning of conjunctions!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Now look 'ere -- we wuz orl tort at CH an' shud now betterer

I try to explain that In the verb"to be-" the first person. singular, takes the Nomonative, (But I bet I got that wrong as well !)

anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Now look 'ere -- we wuz orl tort at CH an' shud now betterer

I try to explain that In the verb"to be-" the first person. singular, takes the Nomonative, (But I bet I got that wrong as well !)

No you're dead right, but don't worry Neill - sejintenej referred to "the second adjective", & I think he meant "educated". If so, the word preceding it is not an adjective at all but an adverb! How's that for excruciating pedantry - or, to put it another way, proper grammar? :lol:
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

More to the point, Neill - the verb 'to be' takes a complement rather than an object, therefore the nominative rather than the accusative case, because the person doing the being is the same as the person being been - sort that lot out!! I usually say 'it is I' on the 'phone. Do any of you pedants out there know who it was who replied (when told that it was wrong to put prepositions at the end of a sentence)'this is nonsense up with which I will not put!' ? My money is on Winston Churchill.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'