The Perfect Wholemeal Loaf

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

midget
Button Grecian

Re: The Perfect Wholemeal Loaf

Post by midget »

Further to the pseodo-Doris loaf, it was excellent with Cornish Cruncher cheddar, and not so good with whortleberry jam!
Further experiments to come.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:There is no substitute for Experimentation ! :lol:
I wonder if TBA agrees.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :oops:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I switched on a couple of these "Great British Bakeoff" programmes, just in case the contestants might attempt a wholemeal loaf, but no! I don't suppose it would have been possible with the time-factor.

(I also felt ancient tremors of anxiety linked back to the getting-done-in-time memories... having my work scrutinised by stern eyes... those at other work-benches seeming to be more efficient and wonderful... :roll: )

I'm restraining myself from further efforts at the moment as I'm out to lose some weight. Mmm, fresh baked bread and ripe Camembert - what a thought. But I'm looking forward to hearing method/results from you, Maggie!

Pseudo-Doris! Tell me more.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

sejintenej wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:There is no substitute for Experimentation ! :lol:
I wonder if TBA agrees.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :oops:
I have had no complaints --- not even about my cooking !! :oops:
wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by wickedwitch »

my daughter's first 'active' is cooking. She wants to do well at the village flower show. She'll be entering chutneys before the year is out!
wide awake on the edge of the world
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

AH ! Chutneys -----
I have made Apple, from a yellowed Ministry Of Food leaflet and Old Doverhouse , ex the Blessed Delia
Also Apple and Ginger Jelly and Plum Jam

(7 Apple trees and 2 Victoria Plum --- it ha rained plums and apples this year !) :lol: :lol:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:AH ! Chutneys -----
I have made Apple, from a yellowed Ministry Of Food leaflet and Old Doverhouse , ex the Blessed Delia

(7 Apple trees and 2 Victoria Plum --- it ha rained plums and apples this year !) :lol: :lol:
I also make jams, chutneys, sun-dried tomatoes, candied fruits and fruit butters. Huge crops and much is left to rot unfortunately. I even freeze enough apple to last me for every breakfast until next March or later! SWMBO gets really fed up with the whole scene.
Most of my recipes come from a River Cottage book but I also use the internet and guesswork.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

My dear Mama, 93 yesterday as I said, has just been to Ireland to visit her family, including my cousin who has an upmarket jam/preserve factory. Many of the recipes she uses are the family ones passed down through the generations. Mother was particularly taken by a new one for Onion Marmalade so asked for the recipe as she still makes them herself. The list of ingredients starts with 33 kg sliced onions and ends with 1 gram pepper. I have been sent the recipe to resize it into suitable quantities and also to change to Imperial units!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Doesn't sound very tasty. Didn't you think of making it from apples? :axe:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Jo wrote:

There is a stall in the local market selling the stall-holder's home-made chutneys. The woman claims to have 101 different varieties and having seen the list and rows of jars she could well be right. I'm not too sure about some of them like grapefruit or lavender and something but one of them seem to be too offensive.

Off to make some quince butter - mmmmmmmmmmh!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Jo wrote:

HO HO -- JO ! :lol:

Actuall, a very interesting document -- severe Rationing in force, surprising what substitutes for sweetening were tried !
chaosriddenyears
Deputy Grecian

Post by chaosriddenyears »

There is a stall in the local market selling the stall-holder's home-made chutneys. The woman claims to have 101 different varieties and having seen the list and rows of jars she could well be right. I'm not too sure about some of them like grapefruit or lavender and something but one of them seem to be too offensive.

Off to make some quince butter - mmmmmmmmmmh

I tasted some lime chutney a few weeks ago and the taste of it would wake someone out of a coma I reckon - I can't imagine what lavender would be like!

I found some wonderful 19th century recipes for different pickles and chutneys - they made very nice little gfts for Christmas as well and were very much appreciated.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

There is a shop in Whitstable, Kent which sells all things lavender. I bought a jar of gooseberry preserve with lavender, but haven't yet sampled it. Perhaps it would go well with the perfect wholemeal loaf?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

chaosriddenyears wrote:
I found some wonderful 19th century recipes for different pickles and chutneys - they made very nice little gfts for Christmas as well and were very much appreciated.
http://www.historicfood.com/RecipesIndex.htm
Not sure how old these are but I do notice a "conserve of red roses". Given the over4whelming pong of one of ours I'll have to try it next year!

Have fun!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Every so often I get a reminder blast from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage empire.

It tells me there will soon be a Channel 4 production on breadmaking called "Knead To Know"!

I'm sticking strongmindedly to my diet - 8lbs lost! - and it will be agony to watch HFW slathering golden butter onto a hunk of perfect warm bread, but I look forward to seeing if he tackles The Perfect Wholemeal Loaf.

Looking forward to this!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""