The Old Swimming Baths J G Steel Peele A 1940-1947

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

ian pullen
2nd Former

Re: The Old Swimming Baths J G Steel Peele A 1940-1947

Post by ian pullen »

J.G Steel wrote on 19 march 2010 that one of the Urquhart-Pullen brothers had a memorial plaque to the right side of the Dining Hall- that was my brother G.R. Urquhart-Pullen (commkonly known as 'Pullen', while I am 'Urquhart'). My brother was shot down in his Canberra over Lebanon in the Suez Crisis of November 1956, Because it was a secret mission, no information was released until the late '90s. The memorial plaque was put up in 2000 and I attended the service with my wife, daughter and grandson. Further information is available on the internet by keying in G.R. Urquhart-Pullen.
John Saunders
UF (Upper Fourth)

Re: The Old Swimming Baths J G Steel Peele A 1940-1947

Post by John Saunders »

Refence the comment on the Abbot Watch. I am looking at the trophy I received after winning the Abbot Watch in July 1955.
In my case I had a watch so chose a trophy instead. It was a long haul I dont know how many lengths now. I tracked Johnny Coggins Mid B for all but the last two lengths. He was a very strong backstroke swimmer but I was able to sprint a little quicker on the last length. Peter Jeffrey Th.,B counted lengths for me. Ref the water polo ,I played in the Cambridge team with Jo Horwood Col B ,for the CU Tadpoles. We played against the Oxford Dolphins in whose ranks Geoff Hines starred.