Marching into lunch

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Marching into lunch

Post by CHDad »

I went to C.H today and for the first time watched my son march into lunch accompanied by the school band. I found it very moving and I have to say I felt extremely proud. I look forward to going many more times and I don't think I will ever get tired of watching it. Fantastic !!!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Marching into lunch

Post by sejintenej »

CHDad wrote:I went to C.H today and for the first time watched my son march into lunch accompanied by the school band. I found it very moving and I have to say I felt extremely proud. I look forward to going many more times and I don't think I will ever get tired of watching it. Fantastic !!!
I don't think he will forget it either. Getting 850 pupils into one room all at the same time calls for precision; we used to march to every meal (though in rain we would amble along the Tube). Lunch, with a band, is even more so!!!!
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

We used to march to Chapel as well. Occasionally we marched into Horsham (with the band); usually for a film.
Col A 1946-1953
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

DavidRawlins wrote:We used to march to Chapel as well. Occasionally we marched into Horsham (with the band); usually for a film.
We certainly marched into all meals --- no Tube,( all sandbagged up ).
The best spectator sport is watching the "First Timers" (And ancient OBs !) coping with the command "Form Twos !"
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

After the houses enter dining hall the two monitors bow, or curtsey, to one another.
Col A 1946-1953
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Well, I was down at Horsham (CH), yesterday with one of the Grand-Daughters for the 6th form (Grecians) entry open day, and we were just lucky enough with the weather to witness a band-parade for lunch before the rains started.

I'm glad to say the standard of 'dress' and marching seems to have improved since my last visit some time ago.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
poppy
2nd Former

Post by poppy »

My daughter is in 2nd form and we would love to go and watch the band parade. Can we turn up or do we need to let House parent know we live miles and miles away. I guess it only happens if the weather is good and is it always the whole school Sat march at 12.45 ?????
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

poppy wrote:My daughter is in 2nd form and we would love to go and watch the band parade. Can we turn up or do we need to let House parent know we live miles and miles away. I guess it only happens if the weather is good and is it always the whole school Sat march at 12.45 ?????

Certainly check with your daughters house-parent.

Security at the school, has certainly become tougher in the last few years, and quite rightly so !

Personally, I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be allowed to watch a lunch-parade.
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

poppy wrote:My daughter is in 2nd form and we would love to go and watch the band parade. Can we turn up or do we need to let House parent know we live miles and miles away. I guess it only happens if the weather is good and is it always the whole school Sat march at 12.45 ?????

I think it is usually fine to visit & watch the parade on a Saturday, but just check with your houseparent . I was advised that you must sign in with security as a visitor. I timed it just right as I got there as the 2nd formers came out from lunch (they have lunch before the lunch parade at 12.45), they have lunch at 12.15 on a Saturday but again check with houseparent or your daughter! This meant that I had a 5 minute chat with my son before they formed up for the parade, I then watched him march. Afterwards I walked back with him to his house. So all in all I had 10-15minutes with my son and saw the parade. I am local to CH so for me it was very simple, if you have a long journey it is a shame because you may not get much time with your daughter.
Momto2
Deputy Grecian

Post by Momto2 »

My son was a drum major until he finished at CH in July and I NEVER tired of watching the band march; it is quite simply an amazing and moving sight and makes you just so proud :D My daughter also plays in it so I haven't actually seen one of them march into lunch for years!

The only thing about Saturday marching (Mrs C might back me up) is that if there are a lot of away sports matches then a lot of the school will be missing.

Just wait until you see them all on special occasions such as Speech Day and Beating Retreat ... fabulous :D
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

I was at CH recently on a Friday and watched the Band parade. It was what I called the "Bugle and Drums" band, although there seemed to be no bugles in evidence, but all trumpets and cornets.
There were 3 drum majors, 2 of whom must have been learning the art, carefully copying the senior on parade.
Not as grand as a full parade, but far more interesting to see the obvious effort put in by those who aspire to get into the full parade.
Marching was pretty good especially as they weren't "on show".
With respect to Security, I sauntered in as usual, and at a coffee break, went and got my pass.
Not the thing to do, although there was no problem, but it does seem to be one of the criticisms of the school inspectors. I feel that those of us who know we can get in without a pass but shouldn't, ought to toe the line to help out with the School inspector problem. It only takes 5 minutes and is quite simple.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jhopgood wrote:I was at CH recently on a Friday and watched the Band parade. It was what I called the "Bugle and Drums" band, although there seemed to be no bugles in evidence, but all trumpets and cornets.There were 3 drum majors, 2 of whom must have been learning the art, carefully copying the senior on parade.
Not as grand as a full parade, but far more interesting to see the obvious effort put in by those who aspire to get into the full parade.
Marching was pretty good especially as they weren't "on show".

With respect to Security, I sauntered in as usual, and at a coffee break, went and got my pass.
Not the thing to do, although there was no problem, but it does seem to be one of the criticisms of the school inspectors. I feel that those of us who know we can get in without a pass but shouldn't, ought to toe the line to help out with the School inspector problem. It only takes 5 minutes and is quite simple.

That's what I thought John, and being Senior Bugler in my day, that rankles a bit.

Strangely enough last Saturday in Big School during 6th form open-day, I was glancing at the posters regarding music, and BUGLE BAND was definitely included.

Sorry to be pedantic, but a cornet is NOT a bugle, and sounds nothing like a bugle being played properly !
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Momto2 wrote:My son was a drum major until he finished at CH in July and I NEVER tired of watching the band march; it is quite simply an amazing and moving sight and makes you just so proud :D My daughter also plays in it so I haven't actually seen one of them march into lunch for years!

The only thing about Saturday marching (Mrs C might back me up) is that if there are a lot of away sports matches then a lot of the school will be missing.

Just wait until you see them all on special occasions such as Speech Day and Beating Retreat ... fabulous :D
As a recent OB, I have this to say: Speech Day is the Biz. Of course I don't just mean the marching - the whole day is fantastic - but the marching is the best you will see. Not even St. Matthew's Day matches it, because here the pupils are on home territory.
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I have just spent the weekend in Paris and went to the races at Longchamp , the "Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe". They have a band from UK and one from France, playing and marching. This year it was the Welsh Guards and the French Foreign legion, and the CH Drum Majors could really show the 'professionals' a thing or two.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote:I have just spent the weekend in Paris and went to the races at Longchamp , the "Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe". They have a band from UK and one from France, playing and marching. This year it was the Welsh Guards and the French Foreign legion, and the CH Drum Majors could really show the 'professionals' a thing or two.
YUou have given the reason why the CH bank will not be invited. The best the French can field - albeit Les Etrangers - would run the risk of being shown up in public in front of their own tax payers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: